Sunday, November 20, 2016

Wrapped in warmth...

My heart is filled with memories today.  Yesterday my husband and I attended a "celebration of life" service in honor of the pastor who married us 36 years ago.  After numerous moves between us, we had lost touch over the years, but oddly enough, found ourselves living in the same general area again.  I wish I could say we had connected in a meaningful way when we realized this some years back, but sadly...  except for visiting the church Pastor Ted was then pastoring, we didn't connect further.  Life has a way of taking people down varied paths; and busyness (among other things), too often keeps people from reconnecting in meaningful ways once paths have diverged.

We were surprised a few days ago to open the paper and find his obituary and picture.  We had no idea he had been ill.  How thankful we feel, though, for having seen the notice and for being able to attend his memorial service.  It was quite a memorable memorial service.

As the church gym/sanctuary filled first with the Purdue fight song, with alumni (my husband included) standing and clapping as they sang; then laughter and tears while we watched a video of Ted take the jump of his life when he took a tandem sky dive - exclaiming on the big screen that he'd waited 54 years to do this; and throughout the service hundreds of people joining voices singing happy hymns we used to sing in the Free Methodist Church, I was transported back in time.  Transported to an earlier place my middle-aged heart has been hungry for in recent years.

There were surely at least 400 people attending the service and all were strangers to us except for Ted's immediate family.  But it's amazing how a common faith, and in this case a common friend and pastor, will instantly bring people together in spirit.   It was a great day.  Our spirits were heartened and memories abounded. Greg and I topped it off with a pizza meal at a nearby Arni's.  It seemed fitting.  Purdue alums (or fans who live anywhere near Purdue), know Arni's - "in busy Market Square".  Pizza at the Greenwood, Indiana Arni's doesn't compare to the Lafayette Arni's, but it's the closest facsimile we have in our neck of the woods.  As we filled our tummies, we enjoyed our memories and full feelings from the service we had just left.

And what does this have to do with this week's Year of Projects post?  

Nothing.  

Absolutely nothing.  

But once in a while it feels good to share the stuff of life with those of you who visit here, and Sunday's YOP post is the time most drop in.  :)

So, on that topic... this week saw the finish of my latest crocheted Linen Stitch Scarf (pattern here).


I mentioned last week how much I enjoy this stitch pattern. And how I love combining non-obvious colors together to see what they produce in the end.  Last week I showed a picture of two very unlikely colorways of yarn I was using to crochet this scarf.

I'm happy to say...  the colors played very nice and did not disappoint.  The yarn is Red Heart Unforgettable in the colorways Tidal and Sunrise.  It's a wonderful yarn for a drapey scarf.  Super soft and luxurious feeling.  And purchased on sale or with a coupon (which I almost always have) I consider it very affordable.  

I made this scarf wider and longer than normal and I really like how it turned out.  It doesn't go with any coat or sweater I own, but I think I may need to work on that as I love the colors in this! The blues are perfect for me - and the bright oranges, while not necessarily "my colors" work with the blue to complement my very pale complexion and white/gray hair.  As I began this scarf I was sure it would end up being gifted to someone, and now here I am happily contemplating keeping it for myself!



To see what other Yoppers are up to, visit our group on Ravelry.










18 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your 'wedding' pastor's passing. So glad to hear it was a celebration of life and you were able to attend.

    Your scarf turned out so beautiful. It would look great against a black or charcoal gray coat. The colors of the scarf would pop right out. Making a matching hat and mittens would just add to the glam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh. A charcoal gray coat. I'd like that very much!

      Delete
  2. The memorial, although for sad reasons, sounds like a lovely celebration. It is nice to be able to share other bits of our lives beyond knitting, and I enjoy reading about them. Your scarf turned out wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories are made for keeping. Congrats to you both on your anniversary, so sorry to hear of the memorial service for your pastor, but it was good that you were there and able to attend.
    I absolutely adore your linen stitch scarf. That stitch is a favourite of mine too. Your colours are lovely together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you shared with us. :)
    Lovely scarf!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your linen scarf looks fantastic! Terrific job on that. And I bet the pastor's spirit radiated with joy from above, seeing how many ppl cared to come and share in his memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered the same thing. My religious traditions don't directly, or conclusively speak to a deceased person's awareness of life still going on on earth. But don't we all hope when a loved on passes away from this physical life they have some awareness of how much they were loved and appreciated by those left behind? For now, for me, it's a mystery.

      Delete
  6. I agree that it is nice to hear about each other's lives that are not just about our crafting. The memorial service sounds very moving.
    I love linen stitch and looking at your finished object I am thinking I should cast another on myself....hmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find myself wanting to make another immediately after I've finished one of these scarves Each one is unique and interesting in its own way.

      Delete
  7. Love the scarf! Looks fantastic. It's a keeper. I think it'd look great paired with jeans or dark trousers and a solid colour pullover.

    Sounds like you had a wonderful day in the community!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that sounds like a very moving experience! I am glad also that you had it and that you wrote about it here. I love hearing about other's lives beyond their craft! God is merciful.... :) ... that is a lovely scarf, too, btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, Elizabeth.

      Delete
  9. Such a beautiful scarf, the colours are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing the pieces of your life with us and your memories... The scarf looks absolutely beautiful - it is like a woven piece!

    ReplyDelete