Sunday, February 19, 2017

A pair of squares...

This week I got back to making some more squares for my BAMCAL blanket.   That's Block-A-Month Crochet A-Long (just as a reminder since it's been a month since I last posted any squares).

The main square in this Month's BAMCAL was the Kaleidoscope Blossom Square.  Looking at various other samples of this square, I found when the center was worked in a solid color, a snowflake pattern was evident.  So I decided I wanted to play that up.  The colors that I thought would work best for that (in my stash of heathered yarns) were Lion Brand Heartland in Mount Rainier (the light gray) and Willow Wash in Teal Heather (the dark gray is LB Heartland in Great Smokey Mountains):



I have some mixed feelings about this square.  First of all, it was a piece of cake to make.  I found the instructions very clear.  That I liked.  I didn't care, though, for the petals on this square. The way the pattern is written, the petals stick up (away from the rest of the square) and while it's cute, I knew that would bug me eventually, so I tacked the petals down as I was weaving in yarn ends.  I'm not completely satisfied with how that turned out either, though.  The end result is I have a square that I like enough to hang onto to see what I might make out of it, but didn't care for the design enough to try to make it a second time in colors that will go better with the "bright and colorful" vision I have for my BAMCAL Blanket.  I didn't think this one through too well.   But I did learn some things.  So it's all good.  :)

~~~~~~

The second block offered up in the BAMCAL group was the Marigold Mandala Square.   I decided to go with the Marigold idea and this my yarny interpretation:


I love how this one turned out, but the pattern was a challenge. The directions were a bit unorthodox, but fortunately, the designer provided lots of pictures so it was totally doable - if a bit tedious and long to make.

Some ponderings as I work through my second month of blocks...

This Block-A-Month idea, perhaps needs to be thought of more like a Several-Blocks-A-Month (SBAM?), if I'm going to work up enough squares to actually finish a large blanket in a year's time.  Poor color choices on my part, or designs that aren't to my liking, mean I'll probably end up doing a fair number of squares that are from sources other than the 2017 BAMCAL group.  And that's fine.  It seems everyone pretty much does that.  

Like everyone else, I imagine, I spend a fair amount of time each month perusing Ravelry for other square designs, and I'm coming up with quite a collection of miscellaneous square patterns to choose from.  Of course, that's all well and good, and the database of 1000's of patterns is one of the great features of Ravelry.  But I'm thinking the end result is that my final project will not feel so much like an "A-Long", but maybe something more like "Hey, look what I made too!"    

I guess when it comes right down to it, this picking and choosing different squares from various sources to use in my blanket suites me better than me feeling like I have to make the same thing everyone else is making.  But it does raise some questions in my mind.

For example...  if I pull a square from the Moogly CAL, or a weekly Block CAL, (or the Vanna's Choice group makes some beautiful squares!) is it proper to post a picture in the appropriate threads in those groups to share my square? That would be fun, but if I'm not actually joining in their longer "A-Long" is it appropriate to post my pictures there?   I'm curious what others of you do in this regard.  I'd especially love to hear from anyone who is a BAMCAL veteran, or a member of the other "Block CAL" groups on Ravelry.  Do you make yourself  known as a participant in other CAL groups even though you may pick and choose what blocks you make through the year?  Is there a general consensus about who posts pictures where, in the case of people choosing square designs from various places?  Is there a proper etiquette or protocol?  Does anyone really care?   Am I overthinking this?  You don't have to answer that - I overthink everything.   I overthink - therefore I am.    Do my questions even make any sense?    




To see what other Yoppers are up to, visit our group on Ravelry!



10 comments:

  1. How fun it must be to hook up different squares; keeps your interest fresh and mojo goin'. Great job on these additions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I've admired these kinds of blankets for years, I've never really had the motivation to make one. Now that I've taken the plunge I am totally surprised at how addictive making these squares can be.

      Delete
  2. I love that second block - it looks like a sunflower.
    I think it would be fun to post in different CALs because it would inspire others who may not be aware of the other group. My two cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to think that, too. I just wonder if the regulars will wonder who the newby is. I think I need to hang out (lurk) in these groups a bit to see how this all flows.

      Delete
  3. You'll make me come back to making crochet squares again :) I was obsessed with them , the only problem was I never put them together. I think it is totally OK to post in several CALs as long as your post is relevant to CAL's theme :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slightly obsessed with them now, too. This may become the "Year Of The Square" for me. :)

      Delete
  4. Love your squares....my Frida blocks are raised too and I don't care for that feature either but it will be a basket which I can tolerate. I would not care for it in a blanket. I like flat and smooth. Your colors are great I love how you put the blues and grays together and your marigold square is stunning.
    I am not the one to ask about CALs or KALs as this is my first year and I have nothing to show for any of them yet. I guess my years of deadlines at work and home and school cured me of commitment to anything or anybody. I detest appointments of any kind! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. I think I have similar commitment issues (I think it was committee work over the years that fried me - ugh). I surprised myself when I jumped on the BAMCAL wagon. So I suppose it should be of no surprise that I'm finding myself with a wandering eye so early in the game.

      Delete
  5. I really like the first square. As for KAL etiquette, I'm not the one to ask, but I would have thought that most KAL chatter threads would be happy for you to post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any real answers except to say in my experience nobody gets too worked up about diversions from scheduled programming unless there are prizes involved. So I'm all in favour of suiting yourself and following your heart's desire :)

    ReplyDelete