Sunday, November 6, 2011

stuck

http://booksneeze.com/art/_240_360_Book.526.cover.jpg


I really wanted to like this Bible study.  Truly, I did.  I wanted to share it with my girlfriends.   But I don't think I'm going to.  I'm really not all that favorably impressed, unfortunately.

If you're at all familiar with Rob Bell and his Nooma videos, that's what's cookin' here except the main player is a woman nameed Jennie Allen.  Other than the fact that a woman is in the videos, Stuck appears to me to be pretty much a carbon copy idea of the various Nooma studies. 

There are seven lessons in the study book and each lesson has an accompanying video component.   Jennie Allen is attractive and well spoken, but her delivery quickly became so utterly and boringly predictable the message became largely lost.   On me, anyway.   I think the point of this study is to identify one's "stuck-ness" and hopefully get beyond it, but honestly. . .I became so stuck on what was annoying to me about this study I couldn't get beyond the study (or my annoyance).

In addition to what has become to me an already over-done idea (filming someone awash in spiritual questions - as if she is the only one who's ever asked an honest spiritual question) I found the study book itself to be lacking.  Content-wise the study is pretty basic.  The questions are largely open-ended and encourage one to explore inside oneself.   I'd give at least a B to the content of this study - figuring it's target audience is probably young adult women who are still sort of finding themselves.

I can't give the material quality of the study book much more than a low C, though.  I was immediately disappointed with the quality of the print.   The study book text is printed mostly in gray scale on thin paper that allows you to see the print on the other side.  Well, almost.  If the print were actually dark enough to read comfortably, you'd be able to see it through the other side of the page, but it's not quite dark enough to read comfortably.  I had serious trouble focusing on the print almost to the point of eye strain.  Use a little more ink, please.  Give me some contrast!!!

In all fairness, this study may appeal to a "seeker".  Someone who has little spiritual or biblical background, but who is honestly seeking for spiritual truths.  Or maybe someone who's neglected their spiritual walk and is beginning to wander back. I'm not sure this study is going to provide much depth, but it may be the ticket to get someone who's awash in their own questions onto an honest road of spiritual searching out.

Frankly, though, I just couldn't get beyond the Nooma-ish-ness to appreciate what Jennie Allen is trying to do with this study.   If you like Rob Bell's style, you'll probably like Jennie Allen's.  If you have no clue what I'm talking about, just google Nooma and you'll find plenty of videos online to give you a taste of what you can expect with the video portion of this study.  Just because I don't care for it, doesn't mean you won't.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com in exchange for my honest review.  I was not required to write a positive review - and as you can see, I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...