Sunday, March 6, 2022

Thinking about Lent...

I did not grow up in a church that observed Lent, and have not taken up the spiritual practice of observing Lent as an adult. But that said, even without a full understanding of Lent's purpose (and the purpose behind fasting and giving things up throughout Lent), I can certainly appreciate the value it brings to observers of this Christian tradition.

Inspired by blogger, TB at The Forty-Five last week, after reading this post entitled Apathy (and subsequent comments), I've decided to spend some time considering the ways that I have perhaps grown apathetic to how sin creeps into our lives.   Or rather, into my life.  I've pulled the following book from the shelf and intend to read and contemplate the thoughts in it:


 
Several years ago a friend shared about a meaningful sermon she had heard on the subject of Lent.  I can't do it justice, but the pieces that stuck with me had to do with disciplining ourselves to reign in our lawlessness.  This lawlessness is not about breaking laws that will earn someone a ticket or a stint in the county jail (or worse).  But rather, this is a law-less-ness that comes from living without personal constraints, or limits.  As Christians we don't live under the Mosaic law, but that doesn't mean that we are simply free to do what we want with no concern of the consequences.  No one who's healthy minded and has a conscience believes we can live that way, but am I the only one who, when I'm being really honest with myself, can see that I sometimes behave that way?   

Stick with me, if you will.  And please don't let my "religious" words put you off, thinking this is all irrelevant to someone who doesn't profess a particular faith.  You may not take this topic in the direction I do, but I don't think one has to be of any faith at all to understand what I'm going to write here - if I'm able to write this understandably.

Most, if not all, of us can name things we do not actively participate in because doing so would violate our conscience, or may harm us or others.  If the Bible calls these things sin, as a Christian they would be sin to me - even if they are completely allowable by culture and the law of the land.   Some may call them vices.  You call them whatever you want.  We've all got things we don't do  - for our own health, for the sake of our well being, for the sake of other's well being.  Sometimes because "the Bible tells me so".  Or our "moral compass" keeps us in check.

While we all have things we wouldn't do, we sometimes vicariously participate in these activities (or sins) by what we allow to pass by our eyes and ears - through the things we watch, or read, or listen to during our times of relaxation and entertainment, or maybe we stumble onto them doing research or while mindlessly browsing YouTube or even when just innocently passing some downtime blog-hopping.   

In some very real ways, in today's culture we cannot escape what lands in front of our eyes.  The problem is not just that something accidentally passed before our eyes that we have no business looking at, and we shouldn't listen to, but it's that we feel things, we think things, we may imagine things we can't unimagine, we may begin to seek out the thing.  We may internalize things that are harmful, possibly to our conscience, our peace of mind, maybe to our habits, most assuredly to our spirits.  Desensitized by what we see or hear regularly, we may begin to do or say things that we know (or at one time knew) were wrong for us to do or say.  But regardless of our outward actions, Jesus was pretty clear in Matthew chapter 5, vs 21-28 that if we entertain the thought, we've as good as done the deed when it comes to the heart.  

My experience of living as a Christian is that there is a continual tension between things like freedom and constraint.  Between being redeemed, and continuing to find myself in need of forgiveness.  And there's believing that when I confess my sin "God is faithful and just and will forgive..."  -  all the while knowing I must not take God's mercy and grace for granted.   

So back to Lent.  

And the idea of law-less-ness.  

And challenging oneself to not live as if harmful things are harmless.  

Choosing to give up something(s) any time of the year for the purpose of reigning in a law-less self makes a lot of sense to me.  I can see how a time of considering one's law-less-ness (or life lived without limits or constraints), or perhaps the alternative - a concentrated period of time spent actively doing things one knows are being neglected, especially when being prayerful and mindful about it all, can turn one's heart and mind toward Christ.  And that seems a very good way to spend the weeks leading up to Easter (and beyond).

I am of the mind that these things should be private disciplines, so I'm not proclaiming things I will or won't be doing.   I'm just sharing these thoughts, along with the title of a book I intend to read in the upcoming weeks - in case someone else is interested in checking out said book at some point.  This isn't a recommendation to do so.  The book could possibly be a dud - I've barely started it.  I doubt it will disappoint, though, and maybe I'll come back and write about the book itself at some point.  I do expect to be convicted - I hope to the point of some change.  I'll probably be humbled.   And I hope drawn closer to a life lived with some constraints or disciplines I may not be practicing, but know that I would be happier and more God-honoring if I did.

The back cover of Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges

Meanwhile,  let's encourage each other to pray for the people of Ukraine and the madness that Putin has unleased and is directing.  I've appreciated so many others who've posted suggestions of ways we can help those who are suffering.  Thank you.

Peace to you in this time of uncertainty.

20 comments:

  1. Lots to think about
    As a kid, the majority of pals are Catholic. I am half Catholic on my father's side. Raised by a Catholic and a Protestant (mom side), I made choices from both religions. I went mass without receiving communion. I went to church services as well. Lent. Rituals. They bring people together, provide structure, a common bond.

    Looking for an eye opener, then listen to Joseph Campbell's, "The Power of Myth" tapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that, May. Sometimes I'm exhausted when I read or hear about the observances and rituals of Catholics and Orthodox Christians, but I can also appreciate the richness (I imagine, anyway) that these things are to those who practice them. While I was always lost when trying to follow my husband's family's Lutheran liturgy, I can very much see how sharing a liturgy and church calendar with people across the globe is a unifying and rich experience. I hope no one reading this post feels like they have to explain or justify their Lenten practices. I am simply sharing my lack of experience, but how one day the concept of discipline and Lent came together for me. And expounding in a specific way how I've put these two things together ever since.

      Delete
  2. Gosh Becki. Having been raised Lutheran and then converting to Catholisism, it has never occurred to me that others did not really grasp Lent. (Can you say sheltered?) Reading your blog today gave me a fresh insight to think about. As I have gotten older, "giving up" something for Lent has turned into "doing something" for Lent and hoping it becomes a practice past the six weeks of liturgical Lent. Looking inside of oneself and seeing our faults is a tough one. None of us wants to see those things that make us imperfect. You are correct though, that we have become desensitized to things. And the more we watch, read and hear, if these things the more desensitized we become. Enjoy your book and keep us know how it was. Peace my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall you sharing a bit about your Lenten practice, Marsha. And that idea has always resonated with me. Probably because in Protestant churches I've been in, whenever Lent IS discussed, this sort of thing is usually the suggestion. But except for some sermons leading up to Easter, Lent (in my experience) has been a personal practice. And mostly went unobserved. Only really noticed because the season is usually preprinted on my calendar.

      I wouldn't say at this point I do much "observing" of Lent (not in the way liturgical churches seeem to practice it), but I'm aware of it, and have grown more sensitive to what it's real purpose must be. I think this idea of reflecting on my personal law-less-ness and rooting out that which is probably unholy is surely part of the point behind fasting and giving something up. Of course, this is what Christians should be about every day, but a more concentrated focus for a period of time I've come to appreciate. I'd had this book on my shelf since probably just before our move. It seems a perfect time to read it and hopefully be challenged.

      Delete
  3. Woo hoo! Blog mention! Double points for inspiring a post!

    What a wonderful meditation Becki. You have said the thing far more artfully than I ever could have.

    One thing among your many that the modern Church has gotten wrong is the idea of sins that are sins for the individual. We seem to lump things into "everyone can" or "everyone cannot". In point of fact there are matters of conscience which can be sin for one and not another. We often fail to have the grace to allow people to live within those boundaries.

    And yet, grace within the context of holiness. Just because I have a problem with alcohol and you do not does not give me the right to accuse you of sin but neither does it give either of us the right to participate vicariously in the drunkeness of others by participating in or taking enjoyment in things that glorify it.

    What a wonderful start to the season of Lent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TB, I had written such a thoughtful reply to your comment, and then I pushed a wrong button and "poof" it disappeared. Having spent a couple of hours on the phone today trying to resolve a problem I don't have it in me to retype all I had written, so please accept my thank you, and agreement with what you wrote. :) Thank you for the prod your post gave to give these things more thought, and to take personal action on.

      Delete
  4. Some interesting thoughts you've presented in this post. I'd be interested in reading your review of this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to write a "report" then, Stef! Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  5. A very thoughtful post, Becki, especially the part about the things we vicariously participate in. Much to think about there. I'm glad you have learned about Lent. As I wrote in a recent blog post, I grew up in a church that observed it, but the church I have been a part of most of my adult life does not. However, I love the idea of it and try to always observe it in some way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. You know... while I imagine experiencing a church calendar year in a corporate setting would add richness, I will say going to the effort it takes for an individual to pursue the thoughts and ideas behind traditions of the church when those traditions aren't practiced by the individual's church adds it's own dimension and depth.

      Delete
  6. The book sounds so good-something I need. Thank you! I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to have you here, Debra. You may notice your blog is in my sidebar, so as you may have guessed, I've been following you, too. In fact, intrigued by your mixed-media journals, at some point in the recent past I subscribed to your YouTube channel. So far I've just lurked, but I'll be leaving some comments now! Welcome!

      Delete
    2. I think it may be Lynn's YouTube channel you have subscribed to-A Bit of Birdsong-she's wonderful and has so many tips about making journals. I'm really new to journal making and my YT channel isn't working, so I think it must be Lynn's. I'm glad you like my journals though!

      Delete
    3. Oh, I'm glad you straightened that out, Debra. Checking at your blog again, I see now I must have discovered Lynne from your blog. That's great! I'm following two clever journal makers! 😊

      Delete
  7. A good reflection on what we should want in our lives...I was born into and raised in a faith observing Lent and sometimes get down, not really appreciating what we can do during this time. May you have a peaceful Lent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that, Martha. I appreciate the honesty. I pray you have a peaceful Lent, too!

      Delete
  8. Another well written and thought provoking post Becki - thank you. I wasn't raised in any sort of church but my parent supported the local United Church. Giving things up for Lent is something I'm not overly familiar with but have read about. I guess my 'church' is more of a personal relationship with God and reading my bible is a daily choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your background, Mary Anne. I'd never heard of the United Church (in Canada) - not that I think I know all about these things... You gave me a new thing to look up and learn about. :)

      Delete
  9. A thoughtful post, Becki. "Respectable sins." What an intriguing title. Would we all put the same sins under the title? Probably not.

    Thankful for I John 1:9 and remembering that Jesus has paid the price for all my sins of the past, the present, and the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Barbara. The title is what reeled me in. I can be a sucker for an interesting cover and title. While Bridges appears to cover about 10? sins (that he believes the Bible clearly calls sin), he also states that his list got whittled down in order to make it more manageable to cover in a single book. He addresses sins like jealousy, gossip, pride, judgementalism... among others.

      I do think our individual list of "respectable sins" will vary according to the things we and/or our close acquaintances struggle with and minimize. It's a relatively small list of sins he writes about, but it looks like a good start in being reflective on the topic of what can hinder a free and happy relationship with God and others.

      Delete