Wednesday, September 30, 2020
Sunday, September 27, 2020
|I plan to make a few before I attach button stems to them all.|
Sunday, September 20, 2020
Sunday, September 6, 2020
Hello, first Sunday of September! Last week, for some reason, I thought we were well into the third week of the month (making the month half over), so imagine how happy it made me today to find I've gained over a week! That's a bonus in this year that just feels like time is slipping away.
First up, I want to show you what came home this week. Let me introduce you to the Singer sewing machine (purchased in the mid 1950's) that I inherited from my mother-in-law who passed earlier this year:
I haven't stitched anything on it yet, but I'm feeling the love for this vintage-y machine. I'm going on faith that all will work well and one of these days I'll be showing something I've actually sewn on it. Now, if I could just find the owner's manual I put somewhere for safe keeping...
It will show up, I'm sure.
For now, here are just a few shots of some of the attachments that my MIL used:
Looks like about 5 extra steps than the zigzag stitch takes to make
on my "modern" 25 year-old machine.
And lastly, while this isn't an accessory, it's a might fine feature...
No wait. I really need to build up to this...
When we were getting ready to pack this in the car, I wanted to separate the machine from the cabinet. A friend and I fiddled with screws that held the machine to two hinges that lower it down into the cabinet. When I say fiddled, I mean we had to find the right size screw driver to unscrew two small set screws, and then one of us held the machine while the other nearly stood on their head to unscrew the thing (we took turns doing that as we could only manage one screw each, upside down). And then once it was home the process had to be repeated (in reverse) to get the machine back in the cabinet. Though, I found a way to do it that didn't require standing on my head.
Yep. I was determined to be smarter this time.
At home, I decided to unscrew the hinges from the cabinet, attach the machine's set screws back onto the hinges, then while Hub held the machine upright, I screwed the hinges back onto the cabinet. Remember, I am the mechanic of the family. And I was so proud of myself that I had figured out how to get this back into the cabinet without turning myself upside down again.
Now, look at the picture above. Look at that black curved thing (looks like a lever of some sort) in the top left hand of the picture. Today, as I was taking this picture above (thinking I'd show the side bobbin - which is new to me), I was curious what that little lever was and I pressed on it. At which point, several parts "came away" and out of curiosity I lifted the machine a bit. I pressed a bit harder (though not hard at all) on the lever and out the whole thing came!!! LOL!
I'm not even sure I want to tell Hubs about this. It's so embarrassing. On the other hand, I think seeing the look on his face will be worth all the egg on mine. 😄
Anyway... what a lovely feature. Much easier to get out of the cabinet than my more "modern" 25 year-old machine, that's for sure.
There's another story to someday tell on myself, but I think I need to save it for another day. I'm already entertained to no end by this little vintage machine.
Now... to find that manual!
And for my crafty bit today... A few weeks ago I came across the blog, Snowflower Diaries, and while the blog doesn't appear to have been updated in a while, this cross stitch designer has some sweet designs (both for purchase and many for free). If one of my fellow blogging buddies linked to her designs and I've forgotten who, I apologize, but I was completely taken with the designs in her Joyful World series. This link is to the last design of the series. There doesn't appear to be a link to the whole set, nor are all of the designs tagged (or labeled) so that they can all be pulled up easily. But anyone interested can scroll through the blog and find each free monthly installment in this collection of cross stitch pictures.
Anyway, my threads and fabric arrived and here's what I accomplished this week: