Wednesday, September 30, 2020

30-Day Minimalism Challenge...




Tomorrow begins my second 30-Day Minimalism Challenge.  I completed this challenge last November and it not only cleared some space in our home, but it was paradigm shifting for me.  In fact, I think the way I began to think about stuff in general was the biggest benefit of doing this and I hope to make it happen again.  As I progressed through the 30 days, I experienced a genuine freedom as I let go of things.  I'm ready to experience that again.  

And we know we need and want less stuff around.  But getting to less stuff can be a challenge and often requires a change in thinking.  This Minimalism Challenge can help jump start that change.

As of this writing, you can click on the tab above titled 30-Day Minimalism Challenge if you want to see how it went last year.  When it was all over, I wrote a post that pretty much summed up what I learned during this process.  Reading that post again (here), I know I'm ready to learn it again.  And this time I know (starting out) how rewarding it's going to be.

As far as I can tell, The Minimalists, Joshua Fields Milburn, and Ryan Nicodemus are the originators of what they call the 30-Day Minimalism Game.  I'll explain it briefly, but if you're truly interested, watch the video at the second link.  And maybe watch other videos on Youtube of people doing this challenge and enjoy seeing how even people who truly live minimalist lifestyles often find they have lots to get rid of that they simply don't need or want anymore.

So how this works is this:  For every day of the month of October, I will (hopefully) find that many items to remove from my home.  On day 1 I'll remove 1 thing; on day 2 I'll remove 2 things, and so on until by the end of the month, I will have removed at least 465 items.  It sounds crazy, but it really is possible.  Last year, I remember becoming so motivated that I told myself to pace myself.  At the end of November last year I had removed far more than 465 items.  I wouldn't be surprised if I removed closer to 1,000 items because I often counted groups of things as one item.

Except for the (minimum) number of items that leave my house each day, I get to decide the rules about what I get rid of, and how I count items.

First off, I do not count stuff I throw away or recycle in the normal course of living.  So, no counting empty bread wrappers or used fabric dryer sheets, or anything broken -- unless that broken thing is something I've been hanging onto for some reason.  Items I count are things I make a conscious decision to not have in my life anymore, or for this time.  It doesn't mean I can never own that item again, but removing it during this month means I've made a decision that I don't need or want that thing taking up space in my home (and head) at this point in my life.

Will I get rid of something that I'll regret?  Possibly, but honestly...  even though I've occasionally thought of something I got rid of last November and may have a fleeting feeling of wishing I had it, I have no serious regrets.  I wouldn't be doing this again, if I did. The greater sense I came away with was that I felt free and just wanted to get freer.   I didn't keep it up and honestly...  due to my MIL's death in June, this past summer has seen way too much stuff come into our house.  It's now time to come to terms with what we truly want to keep and what would be best to remove.  I look forward to the process as well as the end result of working through this 30-Day Minimalism Challenge for the month of October.

While I don't expect anyone reading this to check out my daily posts (necessarily), I have decided I am going to try to post every day.  This is the longest post of this challenge, so each daily post isn't all that time consuming to create (or to read).  I'll just take a picture, create a post, and publish it as my form of accountability.  Sometimes I may editorialize a bit, or even list the items in the picture, but some days I may just post a picture and little else.  My plan is to keep it simple, and as much as it is possible be a minimalist in blogging about this.  

If you'd like to join me, it would be fun to keep up with your progress via your blog.  I will enjoy the camaraderie and any comments anyone wants to share, as well as enjoy encouraging you in your efforts.  

Let the game begin!  

Tomorrow!  😀






17 comments:

  1. I am thinking strongly of doing this. I am not sure I can keep up with the actual number of items on a day, but the idea of going through and getting rid of some things each day is calling me this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something that might help you is knowing that as I go through the month, I collect things in a corner and when I have a day when I don't have any focus, or ideas of places to search through I pull from that pile. Also, I've already got a couple of days taken care of where I've taken a picture and have written a post. As I go along, that happens more than one might think. And if I truly have days where I either don't have time to post or haven't thought ahead to post it early, it's really okay. As long as I keep with the spirit of moving stuff out and accounting for it, I count it all good. If my doing this inspires any amount of letting go of stuff you no longer want, please play along however it works for you. It will be fun to see what you end up doing. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Depending on how much stuff one has, it's actually surprisingly easy. Then again, I'm no where near being a minimalist. The family can join in. I haven't even officially started and my hubs is already bringing me stuff to include.

      Delete
  3. Back in 2016 I decluttered and got rid of 95 percent of my stuff.
    It was a paradigm shift that's stayed with me, 4 years later.
    I FREAKIN' LOVE IT.
    Have fun on your adventure. What fun. What fun indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivy, there's a part of me that imagines how wonderful that must be. Another part of me is overwhelmed by the thought. Thank you for the encouragement. :)

      Delete
  4. I am going to try and go with you on this journey. I will be absent for a week but will make sure I have enough items to cover those days either before or after we travel. I have a feeling I could find over 400 items in just one room of my home! Let the games begin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might see what I wrote to Sandy above. I have a couple of posts written already and are set to publish themselves on the dates I set for them. I actually set this one to publish today (I think around 1:00 pm) and came in later to check for joiners and commenters. But you've probably got that all figured out. It will be fun to follow your progress, Marsha. So glad you're joining the fun.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful challenge.
    I will also begin tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know from experience that this is a great challenge and it's fun besides. I wonder if it's possible to include in one of your posts a link to everyone that's taking part so we can go and visit? Visiting each other will help with motivation I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. Or, I wonder... What if I create a link list (specific to the challenge) in my sidebar and post people's blogs who I can see are doing the challenge this month. I'll create it tonight and you can see if you like that next time you check in. Let me know.

      Delete
    2. Great idea Becki - works for me! I know I'm not playing along this time but I'm still enough of a curiosity-cat that I'd like to see what others are doing.

      Delete
  7. So yesterday morning I thought I would drop off a Clinique makeup box with eyeshadows powder and lipsticks I have had for 20 years into the makeup recycling bin at the supermarket, but then I didn’t leave the house. I think I will need to do bags that leave once a week, so today I need to identify 2 more items to join them...I probably have other make up and cheap costume jewellery...there’s a cupboard on the landing which is a dumping ground for random items....by the end of October I would like to be able to have it organised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A makeup recycling bin sounds like a great idea.

      Delete