Sunday, September 27, 2020

Ivy Beanie & Pumpkins...

Getting back to my crocheting recently, I came across a couple of projects I'd started a long time ago...  I have no idea when.  The time was right so I set myself down to work on them this past week.

I was really glad to see this Ivy Beanie finished, but it's too small for the average adult, I think. Or maybe I just have a big noggin.  I imagine it would fit a preteen or maybe a small adult:


Then again, it could have been off-size because I made it a little differently than the designer did. The designer's instructions were to make the body of the hat first, then create the ribbing - attaching it as you make it.   But I  love the hats that Whistle & Ivy makes and how she creates the ribbing, then grows the hat from there.  So, I made a ribbing that would accommodate the 60 stitches that began the body and worked the hat up from that starting point.   It's a super easy pattern, though I couldn't make heads or tails of the designer's instructions for finishing off the top.  Fortunately, it's not difficult to cinch in a hat after you've made one or two.  And while I'm not intending to give this hat one, a pom pom would sit atop it very nicely.

I really don't mean to make it sound like I didn't like the pattern. My main reason for writing all I did above is to offer a disclaimer in case someone else makes this and wonders why they ended up with a hat that fit their big head when I didn't.  It could have just been the way I made it.  

All of that said, I love the stitch pattern.  It's very clever, and I think it makes a nice hat.  I'll be looking for a head to fit it soon.  😎

~~~~~

And then I pulled out a half-finished crocheted pumpkin I think I might have started two years ago and finally whipped that baby together and then promptly started another: 

I plan to make a few before I attach button stems to them all.

There are numerous free patterns online for making crocheted pumpkins, but here are some to get you started:

Similar crochet pattern here, video tutorials here and here.
Different type of crochet pattern here

Things I do differently from the patterns and tutorials above:  1)  I use a size G hook with worsted weight yarn.  If I use smaller yarn, I use a a hook about 2 sizes smaller than what is called for on the yarn label.  2)  I begin with a magic loop, and 3) I keep a marker on my first stitch of each round and simply crochet in a spiral (this eliminates a join line).  Once you make one or two, you'll probably see how you can make these various sizes.  I'll explain that in next Sunday's post where I'll (hopefully) have some different sized finished pumpkins to show you.

~~~~~

And lastly,  I 've been giving it thought and I've decided to try another month-long 30-Day Minimalism Challenge beginning on October 1st.

If you're curious, here's a video explaining it:


I'm still undecided if I will post daily, but I will plan to take daily pictures for sure.  It was greatly motivating last year when I did this, and part of the motivation was posting a daily progress picture. So we'll see.  It was surprisingly easy for me to successfully complete this challenge last year.  And we've certainly brought stuff into our house this summer that needs a good sorting; whether it's our own old stuff, or our recently acquired old stuff, some things have got to go!

Anyone want to join me?   This doesn't need much planning or forethought.  One will need to have a place to donate or otherwise take decluttered items to, so if your thrift stores are closed, this might not be the time for you, but seriously...  all it takes to begin is the desire.  The motivation will come with the doing.  Or not, possibly.  If motivation doesn't last, there's no harm in having tried.  And there's space in one's home to reclaim for any effort at all.  Let me know in the comment section if you'd like to do this and blog about it. I would love to follow your progress and cheer you on.  👍  






19 comments:

  1. Very cute beanie. I hope you find a deserving home for it. You did quite well on your 30 day declutter last year. I thought of joining but......I have 5 days where we will be away from home. I may still do it and just do extras before and/or after we travel. We certainly have plenty of items to leave our house. Goodwill is open and remained open even during shut down. They are considered an essential business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to either work ahead if I know I won't be able to blog on the day of, or catch up later. This is assuming I set out to post every day. I'm afraid others may tire of those daily posts, but I guess no one has to follow along... It's the decluttering and posting (being accountable, I guess) that helps boost motivation, I'm thinking.

      Delete
  2. The beanie is adorable. That is something I wore in college, but rarely does it get cold enough here to wear them, but I always love them.
    I really should do the challenge. I might have to think on that if I can keep up:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pressure, but it would be fun to have the company doing the challenge. But no pressure. ;^)

      Delete
  3. I might be interested in committing to this Minimalism Game. I'm feeling overwhelmed by all my STUFF lately. It would feel good to "clean house" while the kids are doing school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, join me if you can! I found it hugely motivating (and successful) last year. It's really not difficult, or even very time consuming once you get going with it. At least I didn't find it to be.

      Delete
  4. The hat looks great. The pattern reminds me of waffles and then seeing your cute pumpkins which look great it made my tummy rumble lol. If I remember I will try to join in on the 30 day minimalist challenge. I see our supermarket has a make up recycling box and given I almost never wear any I should seriously declutter my ancient makeup. Also my beautifully vertically folded t-shirt drawer was on a final warning this summer. If there were Ts I didn't wear then I had told myself some would have to go. I also need to be realistic about what size I am and may get back to...which means more culling of clothes. I'll write it in my journal now so I hopefully remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting about your Tshirt drawer. Sounds like a good idea - it would be fun to see a picture, actually. lol I think I'm going to be culling through my closet in more earnest this year. We shall see, though. ;^)

      Delete
  5. Love the hat!!! I also love the Whistle and Ivy website with the Snowfall Hat! I'll be making some of those! Your pumpkins are adorable and I had never seen how you made the button stem and I remember how much I liked it. I might give that a go too. I always love everything you make and I am a shameless copycat of all you do! LOL! As for the de-cluttering....I am in continual de-clutter mode and although I have no place to take it at the moment I am bagging it up and putting it in a corner of my basement. I will cheer you on and I have been posting some of my cleaning and clearing out projects. I think the garage is next! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whistle and Ivy has some cute hats, and I truly love the way she starts them - with the ribbing first. It's not as elastic a ribbing as knitting makes, but it does stretch. I know you are a good one for inspiration regarding decluttering. Now that I'm home more, I'll be checking in with you regularly to see what inspiration you can provide, Sam. :)

      Delete
  6. Very cute beanie, and I simply adore the pumpkin! Do you have a link for that pattern somewhere here?

    Great idea to do another declutter challenge. Now that my ancestral home has been cleaned out, I'm feeling the nudge to get started on downsizing here at home. Not sure if my husband is quite on board with doing that project right away. He thinks we "need a break" from that type of thing and he may be right. But I think there's quite a bit of decluttering I can do without involving him. My hesitation on October is that I've committed to praying for our nation with Revive our Hearts for that 31 days, and I'm not sure I'll have time to blog daily about the declutter. I'll give it some thought and maybe join in for part of the month if it looks possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... don't know why I didn't add the link to the pattern (I try to do that). I'll add it above, and when I show my finished pumpkins. It's super simple.

      I totally understand needing a break. I feel like I've sort of had a break between clearing my MIL's home and decluttering my own. The last few weeks just didn't require much of me in that regard so I'm ready to dive in and start making my home more comfortable again. Most of my decluttering is just going from room to room (or category to category) finding things to rehome (or sometimes just throw away). Last year I did welcome my DH's participation - his included the garage, but I could have probably done the whole thing just on my own efforts at decluttering. Any participation will be beneficial - even if you don't do the whole month. :)

      Delete
  7. I like how the stitch definition is strong in your beanie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. I'd kind of like to use the stitch pattern in something else. It might make a cute scarf!

      Delete
  8. Your pumpkins are cute and I appreciate the links. Just broke out most of my fall decorations today. I do love fall decorations!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the beanie you made! I look terrible (truly) in hats myself, but it is totally adorable and would be so cute on a hat person. Your little crocheted pumpkin is also adorable! You're a busy, creative gal, Becki!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the pattern design in that hat - don't think I've seen it before. Glad you're doing the challenge again - you certainly motivated me with the prior one. Having said that, I don't think I'll play along this time because there's too much still to add to that Christmas box. I'll be following you with interest though and who knows, inspiration might hit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am tempted to follow the minimalist month of October. I did this a few years ago and it felt great, so I will read about it and let you know....Of course, Tomorrow is October 1st! I love the beanie....I am sure the perfect head will come along to snatch it up and wear it with delight - pom-pom or no pom pom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hat is so nice! Hopefully you can find a good home for it.

    ReplyDelete