Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Tripods Trilogy


I took the advice of my favorite 12 year-old (Ben) and am reading a science fiction trilogy that has me on the edge of my seat. The Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher. I continue to be impressed with what my sons have to show me. While this may not be terribly challenging or even considered great literature, this is some good reading!

I finished the first book, "The White Mountains", in record time and am now racing through "The City of Gold and Lead". Will Parker, the young protagonist, has escaped from a life of contented, if not mindless, submission to the Tripods just before his "capping" and is now making his way to a competition that may win him the prize of entering the city of Tripods where he and other subversives hope to study them and perhaps discover where they are weak and may be attacked. At least, I think that's what's going to happen. I haven't finished the second book yet. I have high hopes, though, that Will and his comrades may save mankind afterall.

Great stuff for a 12 year-old boy to read. And lots of interesting ideas to chew on. On second thought.....maybe this is great literature!?!

I recommend the Tripods Trilogy for any pre-teen on up. Boys, especially, will eat these up.

No comments:

Post a Comment