Sunday, January 28, 2018

The last dance is winding down...

It's been a very good week.  The weather was great on Thursday and Friday and I made the three-hour drive to visit middle son who recently relocated to northern Indiana.  He's a quiet sort of fella, but it was so good to spend some mom and son time together in his new digs.  And spending the night gave me a glimpse into his new early to bed, early to rise life.  He headed to bed at 8:30 and I'm pretty sure he was up before 5:00 - he maybe left by 5:00.   I don't know...   I just know I was still sawing logs when he headed out into the dark morning...

Don't tell him I said so, but I think I need to do that again sometime soon.   Not too soon, though, I suppose.   I miss him bunches.  Actually, I'm missing both my older two sons in recent months as work has taken one further away, and commuting to a new job gives the other less time for getting together.  Not that I saw them that much before recent changes, but at least it was easier to get together when we did.  But they appear to be doing well, so I'm glad for that.

This week also saw another scarf finish and two more squares for my Last Dance blanket.

First, a scarf was knit from bulky yarn on BIG needles.  I don't recall how big, and I've put them away already, but they were big.  In fact, I'd never knitted anything on such big needles so I was amazed at how quickly the project worked up.


I used this video tutorial in making this.  The yarn is Premier Serenity Chunky Prints in the color, Velveteen.  What looked in the skein to be a purplish color turned out to be red!  I was so surprised.  Since I expect a scarf like this to be wrapped around the neck a couple of times to make it cozy and warm to wear, I had to get a picture of it in that state, too:


I really like this yarn.  I have another 1.5 skeins and I'm hoping that's enough to crochet a scarf in the round with the stripes running horizontal. Or maybe I'll make a hat.  We'll see.  Soon, I hope.

~~~~~~

And here are two more square designs I finished for my Last Dance blanket (they are both substitute designs from two in the original pattern):




With these squares finished, I have only to make two more designs.  That's just eight more squares!   And then I'll be ready to crochet this blanket together.  I can hardly believe I'm this close.  I'm feeling ever so slightly anxious about the joining process (both that my colors will work well together, and that the process goes smoothly).  I had intentions of finishing this blanket during the Ravellenics, but if I can, I'd like to wrap it up beforehand.  I now think it's entirely possible.  😃

To see what other YOPpers are up to, visit our group on Ravelry.






2018 Yarn Stash-Down:  7.89/100 Skeins


15 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your Last Dance blanket! I love those squares! :) That's nice that you had a good visit with your son. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly believe you are 8 squares away from starting to join you blanket. You have great 'stick to itness'.

    I too miss my children, even though 2 of them live close by. We seldom get to see them. Phone calls are not the same.

    Did it hurt your hands to work with the bulky yarn and large needles? The scarf looks very warm and snuggly. A hat to match would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember knitting that bulky scarf hurting especially, but I do find knitting in general harder on my hands (my fingers, specifically) than crochet. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I tend to grip the needles tightly in order to get my tension more even. Knitting just really does not come naturally to me, I fear. But knitting with larger needles and bulkier yarn, I felt was more forgiving in the tension area and I think I held the needles a bit looser because of that.

      Delete
  3. I entirely understand your feelings about having your sons far away. Our youngest (and his wife) moved clear across the country five years ago and it's so hard. We talk to them on Skype but it's not the same as giving them real hugs. We've seen them twice since they left and it certainly isn't enough. Our other son and his family are only about two hours away so we see them regularly (but still not enough to suit me!!). Looking forward to seeing your blanket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Anne, thank you for your thoughts and sharing your experience with your son and his wife moving so far away.

      Delete
  4. The scarf looks so warm and cosy, just perfect for winter. I can't wait to see your blanket completed, you made such beautiful squares.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure that your sons miss you and although busy with their new lives....they adore you, I know! I do think it is nice to spend one-on-one time and once they marry it is harder to do so enjoy this time alone with them.
    I love the scarf/cowl. I'm usually not a fan of the bulkier yarns but I like that one and subscribed to her channel as I like her projects. I better order some BIG needles! LOL!
    I love the squares you have done and are doing for your blanket. I'm not a fan of 'holely' crochet or knitting....I like solid fabric else fingers and toes etc. get caught in them so I like a solid fabric. Those are gorgeous and right up my alley! I'm sure your joining will look lovely....nothing you have ever made has looked bad....ever! I can't wait to see it put together. Have a great week and so glad you went to see your son. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure they adore me, but I hope even in this kind of awkward, reflective, sometimes disillusioned 20-something stage they're in, they find things to be endeared to me over. One son is a writer. I've asked him to please... if I show up in any of his writings to make my foibles sound endearing rather than well... not. lol

      I didn't think I'd care for the bulkier yarn, but this one surprised me. I don't see it being my go-to yarn, but it was a pleasant change from my normal worsted weight crocheting/knitting.

      Delete
  6. I love your cowl and your squares. I have to admit reading about how you miss your sons hit a chord with me. My son is only one province away, but I miss him so much even though we talk weekly on the phone. My daughter is so very far away and to visit would be so expensive for us. We skype once a week and chat via text almost daily, but I wish so hard she was closer. Parenting adult children is not for the faint of heart. I am sending you a cyber hug and I am happy you had a good visit with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cowl looks super warm and squishy! Nice!

    Also nice to hear that you had some time with your son. Guys keep their cards close to their chests, but they need their Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very nice! looking forward to seeing the finished blanket! :) Wonderful about the visit to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds as though you have had a lovely visit with your son. I try not to think about a time when my son's might be far away, and we are only a little country.
    I love your cowl and squares.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that you had QT with your son. I know when my brother comes over to my mum's he catches up with her and tells her what's going on at work, etc. My mum is one wise lady. The new infinity scarf looks great; I really like the stitch definition you got. Great job on the squares; I really like your crocheting.

    ReplyDelete