Sunday, May 3, 2020

An uneventful, but fairly productive week...

So how are things in your corner of the world?  It's been a rather uneventful week here, but yesterday morning got us out to see the Indiana National Guard 122 Fighter Wing, AKA The Blacksnakes do a flyover to honor health care and other front-line workers during this time of COVID. 

Everyone was told to "social distance", but other than a written word telling people to not travel to watch the event, there was no attempt to stop people from doing just that.  So on a beautiful Saturday morning, a fair number of the population of our sleepy little town made their way to places where the flyover could be best observed.  And those who did were treated to a somber, and moving flyover.  That's it.  It wasn't exactly exciting.  There were no stunts.  Just four fighter jets flew over as we watched in silence.  As we soaked in the sun and the breeze.  Except for the social distancing, we might have forgotten all about COVID for a few minutes.  And then we got into our vehicles and drove home - us glad we'd gone and feeling thankful for our health care workers and all who are working during this time to make our world continue to turn; and proud of the pilots who flew those planes.


*****

At home, I've used this uneventful week to finish a couple of projects. 

First, the piece I'm most pleased with - my cross stitched Marsh Wren:

The pattern is part of the Crossed Wing Collection, from the "To Wrent for a Song" set.

It's stitched in DMC thread on Confederate Gray 18-count Aida Cloth. 

And for my amusement (and possibly yours) here's an information page about Marsh Wrens.

Listening to the video that is featured at this link, I'm now sure I've heard this bird chirping around the pond at the local wetland area where I sometimes walk.  
_____

And secondly, I finished my Sacred Space:


At this size (made with worsted weight yarn) it measures 62 inches across.  A bit bigger than lap-sized for an adult.  Or a child could use it for a napping blanket, or a TV watching blanket...  It's tempting to entertain completing it to full size, but that would make this thing large enough to cover our queen sized bed, and that is just totally unnecessary.  So, I'm calling it a day.  And will be storing it until its purpose is revealed to me.




*****

And this afternoon is being spent making some more COVID masks.  😣    That's what I'm calling them.  I have a feeling once COVID is passed, or vaccinated out of existance, we'll not be sporting face masks anymore so yes...  I think referring to them as COVID masks is exactly correct.  Anyway... I was called upon to help procure some masks for some extended family members who still did not have any, and rather than spend my time searching out masks online that I can't tell whether or not they'll fit, because of who these are for I decided to just make some that I'm pretty sure will. 

I cut out the fabric yesterday, so hopefully that will make the task of sewing them up a little less tiring. Though after making just one, I took a break to post this.  Have I said before I dislike making masks?



I did decide this time to cut out more mask pieces than I think I'll sew together for now, and I will store them for the future. That doesn't mean I'll want to make them in the future.  It just means that part will be done if I feel compelled to again.  The word that I'm sending out with these is that my sewing room is closed, but time will tell if I can hold to that.

Please no advice to just say no.  I wasn't asked to make them this time. I offered because sometimes you just have to do a thing you don't want to do 'cuz you'll feel worse if you don't.  It's not guilt.  It was simply the right thing to do.  This time.

I'm honestly not sure why I dislike making these as much as I do.  I only know I do.  For my immediate family, I don't feel that way.  But beyond that, I pretty much despise the whole business.  I wish I didn't.  Hubs wishes I didn't (and that certainly doesn't help my disposition about it all).  But I do.  No sense pretending I feel differently.  And I figure if anyone reading this feels the same way, they'll appreciate my honesty. 'Nuff said.

And on that happy note, let me wish you a good week ahead, everyone.  Here it looks like we'll have days of sun and temps in the 60's all week.  Actually, those temps may last until the middle of May.  It's my perfect weather!  😊





23 comments:

  1. So much to say, but let me start with the blanket and the stitch. I don't know which is prettier. My goodness that blanket is really pretty. And that bird. If you can stitch on 18 count and make it look like that you will have no problems with linen. IT is just gorgeous.
    I love flyovers. I have an aviation love...not sure why but being here and very very south Alabama ...just north of Pensacola going up I love the Blue Angels. We go every summer for the home show over the waters.
    I am not sure why I don't enjoy making those masks either, but I haven't found them fun to sew but needed and a blessing to give to others. The last time I did some I did quite a few extras to keep on hand so MAYBE I won't have to make any more:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy! It's been a long time since we've seen an air show, but I do remember it being great fun.

      Delete
  2. That marsh wren is exquisite. Are you keeping it for you? It should hang in a place of honour. I love your honesty. As my fitness instructor says - 'You do you'. I made two - as you can see in my blog, and I might try one of a different style just to try it, but otherwise I will wait until the ones I order arrive. I really just made them because I was in a funk and needed to do something to shake out of it. I don't have any material lying around so the two I made were all the material I have unless I start cannibalizing old pillow slips or table cloths. I am much happier knitting! Or crocheting!! and speaking of crocheting your blanket is just stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary-Anne. Yes, I've made these birds for my own use. I have an idea for how to frame them and where they will go. Honestly, though... now that I made this wren with the fullness of the green leaves, I'm rethinking my simple Gnatcatcher I made to go with it. Maybe I need to make a third (different) little bird to see what I like better before I go to the trouble of framing these to be put on the wall as a pair. I canabalized a sheet for making some masks as I don't have a large fabric stash anymore. I actually cut into some fat quarters I had on hand I had bought once upon a time for some projects I hadn't gotten around to doing. I'm much happier doing just about anything other than mask making right now. I don't get a kick at all over being commissioned to make things - even when I'm being paid to do it (which I'm not with these masks).

      Delete
  3. Your Marsh Wren is spectacular. So much detail in it. Also, the Sacred Space is awesome. The colors you choose are perfect. I had no idea it was so large already. As for masks......I hear ya. I do not enjoy making them either. Byetta I still make them when I know of someone that needs them. I make it an assembly line. I do all the middle seams, then the bus tape.for the nose wires, the putting lining to main fabric etc. Seems to go faster for me that way. I still have one cut out for me that I have not even started on. But your heart is in the right place. You will help those who need it. Consider it your sacrifice for humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I didn't totally come up with those colors. I used what I had in my stash, but I was inspired by one that the test crocheters made. I did find that having cut out the peices the day before sewing helped my attitude quite a bit when it came time to sit down and just sew. The wire is a bugaboo for me. I want it to be in there (and it's so necessary for people who wear glasses), but I can't for the life of me get a pretty edging as I try to enclose it in the seam. I think I finally hit on the solution to that as I made the very last mask - total of 25 now!

      Delete
  4. I don't know which I love more - your wren or your Sacred blanket. They're both absolutely stunning. As for the masks and the making thereof - I know absolutely exactly how you feel. I made them out of obligation and not because I wanted to. There is not one single thing about making them that is the least bit enjoyable and coupling that with the fact that my mind dwells on the reason that they're needed in the first place and it's not a good place for me to spend much time. (oh....and I have to tell you that I had to do some research this morning when I was woken up by bird song outside....I was pretty sure it was a wren and I was right).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Mary Anne. I'm having that same realization as I've been making these birds and am just generally spending some time looking up birds and listening to their sounds - that I encounter these birds on a regular basis and had no idea. Stitching these has made me so much more appreciative of the birds in my little corner of the world.

      Delete
  5. I love your Marsh wren. I'm a wren fan, and we have quite a few, mostly Carolina wrens, cheerful, noisy neighbors.

    We had a Flyover too, the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds, six and six formation. It flew directly over my house, a bit ahead of schedule and I missed it! I had alerted my son earlier, and he got to see them from his balcony. He commented that it wasn't spectacular, unlike the flyovers he sees at the shore. I managed to see local police video so I didn't miss it completely! We have a big air Base near the shore, one of the starting points of the display.

    But we have so many cases, thousands of deaths, we couldn't help wishing they'd spent the funds on PPE for our medics. We're desperate. as a blue State we're being starved of funding and supplies.

    Meanwhile I'll look at your stitching and remember people like you are still creating lovely work! Please keep showing us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my fear - that they might actually fly ahead of schedule. Hubs went early for that very reason, but I only gave myself about 5 minutes margin. Fortunately, they were right on time!

      Delete
  6. The Marsh Wren is so pretty, such fine detail for such a small bird. One minute you were doing the yellow popcorns on your Sacred Space and the next it’s finished. Either time is really warping or you’ve flown through those final sections. Where is your own Sacred Space in your home...perhaps that is where the blanket should live? It’s beautiful. There are much simpler designs for masks where it’s a rectangle sewed along the sides and elastic threaded, job done. Too late now as you’ve cut your intricate shapes now, but if you do end up making more then go simple...here’s a link to an easier style, keep the fancy ones for family. http://shared.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/sewing/DIYFaceMask_coah.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz. To be honest, while I was drawn to make this blanket - and in these colors, it's not really something I'd display or likely use. I made it thinking that someday there will be a young girl who'll get a kick out of it. I just don't know who that is, yet. :)

      Re: masks... I have (and will) only make masks for family (and maybe close friends, though haven't been asked by the later). I really don't mean this unkindly, but honestly... "simple" is in the eye of the beholder, and mind of the sewer. My issues with mask making go so far beyond the design, it would require another post (and probably a therapist). It's not the design that's problematic. It's that we need to make them, period, that is at the heart of my struggle - and then all negative feelings flow from there.

      Delete
  7. You are quite talented . . . and patient working on these detailed projects! Of course - we all have so much time right now so aren't we grateful for these hobbies that not only fill the days but create something productive! And regarding the masks . . . I'm with you. I have made more than I can count and mostly for friends and family who are in healthcare or at risk jobs. Last week I decided to advertise on our local neighborhood board that I was giving masks for free (since as of 5/1 you are required to wear on in any store). For 3 days I sewed like a mad woman and they'd disappear as fast as I could put them out. Then, I said... enough. I'm done and I'm going back to sewing for FUN haha! I think it served a good purpose and helped many people but I'm glad to be back to sewing baby clothes. I'll make them as I get requests but that's it. Yesterday our big excitement was going to a friend's house (for me to pick up felt for a project!) and standing in the yard talking. Then we ordered pizza and ate it in the park. Simple things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having creative hobbies is such a good thing during this time of staying at home. I can't imagine this time without such an outlet. Maybe my house would be clearner. ;^) I'm totally impressed that you made a bunch of masks and gave them away to whoever wanted them! I love your enjoying "simple things". The only reason I look forward to summer is that with warmer weather, perhaps we'll feel better about meeting with friends and family if we can do it outside. I think our (personal) summer may be challenging, though. More about that in a future post.

      Delete
  8. My daughter thought that because I sew that I could make masks but I didn't and don't plan on it. I donated to several organizations but at my age, taking care of myself is a full-time job! LOL! I don't feel the least bit guilty as there are so many women out there doing it....haven't heard of men doing it...I rest my case.
    I love your little wren...so pretty and everything you do you do well! Your Sacred Space is beautiful and I think you are right about not making it any bigger. I'm thinking it would look nice placed on the back of the sofa or am I showing my age? LOL! They were always placed there so they would be handy for 'naps'! Have a wonderful week and tell your husband there are plenty of videos on You Tube to learn how to sew now that he's retired. I know, I am bad and there is a reason I'm single! LOL! But I am very happy as is and I have no regrets. Hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know... with all the time we have during this lockdown, you'd think we'd feel like there was more time than we know what to do with. I think my hubs is feeling that way, but he's become limited physically and he simply can't do all that he'd like to do. I, on the other hand, feel like I have less time, somehow. I honestly don't know how you manage to get done all you do. You are my inspiration, Sam.

      Delete
  9. Your cross stitched wren is absolutely beautiful. I admire your needle skills. I just ordered some cross stitch kits for my daughter; it's been years since she did this. Enjoy your day! Pat 🌴

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of good progress here. I made one more mask for the husband who wore it today; it was noticed and very well liked. Fist pump!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When grocery shopping today I enjoyed seeing the variety of masks people are wearing. It was also kind of interesting who did and who didn't wear masks. People of all ages did and didn't.

      Delete
    2. Your week is beautiful and the information page interesting! I also love sacred space, the colours are just fabulous.

      Delete