Friday, May 1, 2020

Ham & Bean Soup

We've had a stretch of chilly, rainy days this week and I knew it was time to make some Ham & Bean Soup.  I keep this simple by using Hurst's HamBeans brand 15-Bean Soup Mix, but I make it more like Ham & Beans than the recipe that appears on the bag.  Which I think basically means that I leave out the tomatoes that are in the recipe on the bag.  I also usually toss the seasoning packet.  

I don't follow a precise recipe, but here's how I tend to make this yummy soup:

First I prepare the dried beans as directed on the package.  I've done the long soak and quick soak methods and both work beautifully.  Once the beans are softened, I move on to putting the soup together.

When using the quick cook method or soaking overnight, I drain off the water the beans have been soaking in.  I don't know if that is considered wasteful, but the water is dark and murky and it holds zero visual appeal.  

Anyway (and either way - long soak or quick soak), to the drained softened beans I add 10 cups of water (this time I added some chicken stock I had leftover in the fridge).  If I have a ham bone, I add that to the pot at this time, bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and let this simmer for about an hour. 

During this time, I saute a chopped onion, several cloves of garlic, and cut-up some carrots and ham pieces.  I don't measure.  I like lots of these things, so I just put in what looks pretty to me. 

After an hour, I remove the ham bone and clean off as much ham as I can, adding that back to the pot along with more chopped-up ham, the sauteed onions and garlic, and chopped carrots.  I bring this to a boil again, stir, then turn heat down to low, cover and simmer for 40-60 minutes longer, coming back as often as I think to to stir it again - at least every 15 minutes.  If this cooks down too much, I will add more water and more seasoning (salt, pepper, bullion) to taste.

Serve with any kind of bread, and this is one healthy and hearty feast.


Mmmmm Mmmmm Good!


Unless I'm sharing this with others, I package up at least half of a pot of this for the freezer to enjoy later; and hubs and I eat off the freshly made soup for a couple of days.  It gets better each time I pull some out of the fridge to heat it up.  😊  


8 comments:

  1. I too, get rid of the original water my beans soaked it boiled in. I love the quick method. Your soup sound yummy. Perfect comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! The instructions on the package don't say to do this when doing the quick soak, so I assumed I was wasting the water (and nutrients leeched out of the beans). And some may consider that I am, but with the black beans in the mix, that water gets so dark I'd rather not use it.

      Delete
  2. Bean soup is something that gets better with each reheating. As for the water throwaway - I've been told that the reason for it is to reduce the amount of 'gas'. Adding some dry mustard supposedly helps with that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... Well, that seems like a good reason to toss the first water. :)

      Delete
  3. I buy and make that same soup and just about the same way you make yours! It is delicious! I think our soup weather might be over here. In the high 70's and 80's today! LOL! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're supposed to hit 80 today, and then go back down to the 60's next week. We keep going from unseasonably hot to unseasonably cold here this spring. I love the cool weather though, so no complaints from me on that end of things.

      Delete
  4. I love this kind of soup. I always drain the water too. This is a definite go to meal for me in winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband dug out canned, saucy beans from the emergency stash earlier when shelter-in-place had started. I never really ate beans unless it was in chili or seldom in a soup. Now we love them and have made bean soft tacos or just over rice.

    ReplyDelete