Sunday, April 26, 2020

A good week...

It's been a good week.  I'm concluding that either I'm getting used to this stay at home business, or the good news is starting to outweigh the bad.  I'm thinking both are true.

Monday, I got started on my second little bird cross stitch.  This is going to be a Marsh Wren:
There's a fair amount of back stitching to do (on the bird) and some more leaves to stitch, so I'm guessing I'm about half done at this point.  I'm really enjoying this little bird.

And then...  after a few days stitching the wren, I decided to switch things up and pull out my Sacred Space blanket again and see if I couldn't complete another section.   Remember this?



Well, I finally set myself to the task of finishing Section 5 (out of 9), but after hours of working on this, I still couldn't manage to finish this section - it takes such a long time to go all the way around this thing now.  But here's a little glimpse of what I worked on this week: 

 So close, and yet so far...

I'm starting to conclude some things about this project.  In a ZOOM meeting with fellow YOPers a week ago, I commented that I like to make blankets with worsted weight yarn (and I do), but I am reminded that highly texturized blankets get awfully heavy when made with worsted weight yarn.  So...  while I reserve the right to change my mind, I'm thinking that once I finish this section (which only has another round to go) I may be calling this blanket finished.  Also, I'm pretty sure I'll be finishing up the last of the black yarn I have for this project and not buying more yarn  sounds like a good idea.  So... hopefully by next weekend, I'll have this finished and there will be a dry day when I can lay it out on the grass and hang myself out of an upstairs window to take a picture of what is starting to feel like a beast of a blanket.

And that's it on the crafty front.  On a personal note, I'm happy to say I've finally gotten my second shingles vaccine - which was becoming very difficult during this lock-down.  After only one day of being laid low by the vaccine's side effects, I'm a happy camper - so relieved to have that task finished!  And that that is worthy of even talking about here is, I guess, a little peek into how one more thing we take for granted is made different by something like a pandemic and a social-distancing lock-down.

I hope things are going okay in your corner of the world.  It's the most beautiful spring here and it seems many are saying similar things elsewhere.   Is it a lack of pollution that has come with less industry and traffic over the last month?  Is it simply that we have more time on our hands to observe how beautiful are the blossoms, and sweet are the birds' songs?  I don't know the reason, but I'm trying to remain aware and grateful for these beautiful days - even rainy days, like today, are lovely this spring.



23 comments:

  1. I remember your Sacred Space blanket. I love those colors in it. How large is it? Loving your the Marsh Wren too. Your cross stitch is always so well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll measure it and (hopefully) post a finished picture next week. I hope the black yarn holds out!!!

      Delete
  2. I love that you're into the groove of your day and that you were able to get your vaccine. Win. Win. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bird is going to very pretty. Those patterns are some of the best for the birds. I am not sure I know much about yarn or the weights, but I have a afghan that my sister-in-law made years ago and it is a favorite because it is so light. We can pretty much use only lightweight ones here for most of the year. I too have noticed the spring this year. I think it is maybe that it has been a pretty one but I have slowed down to enjoy it more also. I saw a map showing how much pollution is down worldwide. Probably a good break for the Earth as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that living in Florida a heavy yarny blanket would probably be somewhat impractical - not much opportunity to use it. I'm sure I like making them with worsted weight because thicker yarn is so much faster to crochet than lighter weight yarn is. ;^) The couple of adult-sized blankets I've made with DK weight yarn seemed to take me forever!

      Delete
  4. I love wrens and that design is lovely.

    I still have not got that second shot. Covid numbers are so bad here that waiting is the lesser of two evils. I don't think I should risk the pharmacy right now, and I can't afford to have my resistance lowered. Still postponing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the weighing of options and if I were in your area I'm sure I'd be making the same decision as you. I've actually found out that CDC has asked drugstores to not give adult vaccinations during this time of social distancing, so it may be that it's out of your hands, anyway. The good thing about that is hopefully insurance agencies will be required to extend the time frame they will cover the second shot in. For me, it just felt really good to get it done and take that off my plate of things to stop thinking about.

      Delete
  5. That marsh wren is exquisite. Your sacred space blanket is gorgeous - it would make a wonderful wall hanging. I had my second shingles vaccine right before the shut down - so that is good. Now I have to get a prescription re-filled - but I think they deliver so I will take them up on that service. I do like being at home, but I sure miss the pool and my swims.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary-Anne. As talk of things opening up, friends are starting to make early summer plans. May be a bit optimistic on their parts, but I suppose we're all chomping at the bit to get back some kind of normalcy.

      Delete
  6. The wren is really coming along and the subtle colours on its back are so detailed. I love your sacred space, now someone else was making one in pastels and I forget who that was but both look beautiful. I quite like a heavy blanket but I guess it must make it a challenge to keep working on and now it’s warming up would be even more of a challenge. I said to my husband the other day whether our good weather could be in part down to the reduction in pollution. Whether it is or not it’s nice to have good weather and clean air to get our daily exercise in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to use blankets made of worsted weight yarn, too. In Indiana, there is ample opportunity to snuggle under one of that weight. But these highly texturized blankets get crazy heavy, and just BIG. This would cover our queen sized bed if I worked it 'till the pattern was finished. I just don't have need or storage for a yarny blanket of that size so I'm making something that will be more child-size (or lap-blanket sized).

      The colors in these bird cross stitches are sometimes so subtle I hold the different colored threads up to each other to see if there really is a difference. This also means there is a LOT of thread left over. Fortunately, DMC embroidery thread is inexpensive. And since some colors get used so sparingly, it certainly is building my thread collection.

      Delete
  7. (I need to make sure I always force it to open Chrome not Safari browser on my iPad, as I just checked back last half a dozen posts to see if I’d missed any replies to my comments and see my comments haven’t saved. This is a problem I’ve had in the past with them not saving on the Safari browser 😔. I have been reading and commenting and definitely had written about your previous bird.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh... that is sad that your comments got lost. Thank you for letting me know, Liz.

      Delete
  8. Your little bird is so pretty! I looked at all their patterns last week and there are so many beautiful ones it would be hard to choose! They have been around for a long time as I remember them and my Mother loved birds and I was going to do one for her but never did. The road to hell is paved with good intentions! That's me!
    Your Sacred Space is gorgeous but I had never thought much about worsted weight because I have mostly used Stylecraft Special DK because of the wide range of colors. Thank you for the heads up! Please be careful hanging out the window to take the picture!!!
    I too have been wondering about my 2nd shingles shot and I need to call them today because they are only allowing drive-up at my pharmacy where I got the shot.
    Since I have been self-isolating for many years now; I have noticed nature's rhythm and the wonderful gifts that are right outside my door but that is because I live alone and have no interruptions really. It works for me as I am never bored or lonely and I feel I have a strong connection with our maker but I notice
    for many it drives them crazy to be alone with their family or themselves....not a good sign. I too love a rainy day! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt hard, at first, to pick out which bird(s) to make in the Crossed Wing Collection, but I concluded it surely wouldn't be a mistake to start with a small one. So glad I did. I wouldn't call these hard, but they can be tedious (lots of color changing). I may only be cut out for making the smaller birds, but I can imagine how satisfying it would be to finish one of the larger pictures in this collection.

      Delete
  9. You're good to get your shingles shot. I always forget to get it. There is so much detail in that bird cross stitch; it looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring is especially pretty here as well, but we hardly get to enjoy it. I like your cross stitch.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! I for one am happy to see the return of your Sacred Space project. Those colours are so pretty. I can understand you wanting to bail on it though, particularly if it's overly weighty. I love your wee wren too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Marsh Wren is just gorgeous! I looked at other posts and saw a few more birds you've stitched! They are all gorgeous! What a talented lady you are! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bird is beautiful as is sacred space!

    ReplyDelete