Sunday, August 30, 2020

A Finish...

Popping in here finally to show that, indeed...  I did finish my most recent Leaping Stripes and Blocks blanket:


A couple of posts ago I mentioned that I was going to run out of one of the yarns, so I frogged what I had finished (about half a blanket) and started over again - this time, thinking I'd make it a child-sized blanket.  This one measures ~ 45 inches x 34 inches.  Quite a bit smaller than I originally envisioned when I started over.  And now, wouldn't you know it - I have enough of all of the yarn used in this blanket to make yet another blanket this size.  

Sigh.  

Sometimes I amaze myself at how much I'm able to make more work for myself.

But it's finished, and I'm glad to move on to something else. 

~~~~~ 

I haven't been able to manage keeping up with my blogging buddies recently, but I've got reasons.   Mostly life is just busy and honestly... during this COVID time it's a welcome busy. 

Work is coming right along sorting through and moving things from my MIL's house.  Yesterday we, personally, accomplished moving some large pieces of furniture to replace some lesser pieces of our own.  Even with the help of some friends and a son, I'm hereby declaring I'm just too old for this moving business!  

Others are moving things out this week (one hired movers - that's one smart cookie), and then it's time for the painters to come in.  By the end of September/early October I fully expect the house to be sold - hopefully closed on by the end of October.   While, to hear hubs talk about it, you'd think this was all happening at a snail's pace, but I just can't believe how quickly we've gotten to this point (since early June)!

On one hand, I look forward to life resuming some semblance of normalcy, but on the other hand nothing is normal about our normal lives right now and I'm kind of dreading the let down that may accompany slower days.   It's not that I don't have plenty to do, but I am going to miss some aspects of what has been hard, but rewarding work.  Reflective work.  I can do this kind of work in my own home, with my own stuff, but it's just not the same...

Ah well...  That's it from me on this last Sunday of August, 2020.  A welcome finish of a yarny project and a bit of reflecting on life.  Even when I'm busy, it seems I'm always reflecting on life.


In September hubs and I will be jumping back into our volunteer jobs at church.  It will be the first time we've been back to real live church since early March.  Here's hoping it will be fairly uneventful - not exactly what I hope for normally, but these are not normal times...  


I already say that, didn't I?

  



  

28 comments:

  1. I hear you, that after the pressure of the house is done, there may be an anticlimax. We do tend to look forward to less dramatic days and they feel different when they arrive. But I expect you won't be sorry for less physical exertion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely not looking forward to the anticlimax. Hopefully, something else (good) will fill the void. But I should start working on some ideas in case that doesn't happen...

      Delete
  2. I am not even sure I know what the word normal means anymore. Things have changed and I guess over the next months we will see where it all falls out.
    I love that purple blanket. The colors and pattern are just beautiful! I think you guys have accomplished a ton since June. I know how hard all that can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy. Re: normal... I almost resist using the word anymore because it's kind of meaningless. And it feels sad...

      Delete
  3. Your blanket is so pretty. My favorite color too. I think you guys have done very well in getting your MILs home ready for the market. That is lot of work. And with your hubs having sx during this time too. I am happy for you to be able to resume your church work. A small taste of normalcy but it is a step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marsha. Hubs surgery, recovery and weeks of PT along with 2 siblings working full time, it's crazy how this has all come together so well and so quickly. Today was a big move of stuff out of the house. Hubs called from a near empty family room and I could hear the echo...

      Delete
  4. Beautiful afghan. Stay safe moving things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blanket and made in my favourite colours too. Moving house is a very tiring business I'm sure you will enjoy the quieter pace of life when it arrives but I know what you mean. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Thoughts of us moving our own home in the near future have made me feel overwhelmed. But now having gone through this with MIL's house I think I have a better handle on sifting through things. We'll see...

      Delete
  6. The blanket turned out so pretty and your yarn choices I always admire. You are not alone when it comes to making more work for themselves! I tend to work hard not smart. So glad the house project is winding down although I know what you mean about working on other's homes. I could clean someone else's and look forward to it but mine not so much...why is that? I hope you have a good week and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam. In non-crafty endeavors I try to work smart, but when making things I think I get so into the process I just don't think of it in the same way and I end up making much more work for myself. It's a good thing I'm a process-person, in general. OTOH, maybe it's because I'm a process-person that I do this to myself.

      Delete
  7. Your blanket is very pretty. It will be nice to get back to any sort of normal, whatever that may be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lucy. Yes... whatever normal may be...

      Delete
  8. it's a lovely blanket! I pray you stay protected,and your family, in all things! I totally understand your concerns about 'let down' after a project; but God will with you now and then, when things change again. a HUG to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. I believe as you do, and will need to trust that even in the unremarkable days God is still with me and guiding.

      Delete
  9. I know what a job it is to sort through the belongings of a loved one, and then ready a house for selling. You are not moving like a snail at all! Well done. And well done on the lovely finished blanket. Sorry about the frogging, but two smaller blankets perhaps will double the pleasure than one large one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's a good way to look at it! I can get a "twofer" for my trouble.

      Delete
  10. I think the finished blanket looks great and that seems a good size to me. Time is definitely moving weirdly now, so you and your husband are most likely both right. Some routine to life seems pretty hard at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Liz. And good point. Since he and I have different roles in this job it makes sense that we'd be experiencing it differently. I'm not much of a routine person (especially at this stage in life). Maybe if I applied myself more to that idea, though, it would help me when all this activity slows down.

      Delete
  11. Love the pattern and colors of your blanket. Wishing you continued good health as you start volunteering back in the church world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Maureen. Just found yesterday we didn't make it onto the September volunteer schedule, so we've got another month to contemplate what jumping back in feels like.

      Delete
  12. Perhaps you should do a stash dig and see what inspiration you can find and then keep the project ready for when the house issues are done. Something fun to make that will bridge the void. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Mary Anne. At the moment, I'm making dishcloths. :/

      Delete
  13. We have returned to church, but there's still a 40 people limit (we have to sign up in advance) + face covering required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... Our church normally only holds about 200 comfortably. I wonder what our limit should be. I'm thinking our states only recommends a maximum number (which really isn't helpful for small churches) and the 6 feet of physically distancing between families. We probably won't go back until we can resume our duties which put us in a sound booth at the back of the sanctuary that is separated from most people. Neither of us feels quite ready to mingle with the whole group.

      Delete
  14. Your blanket looks great; your crochet projects are always fun to see. It reminds me I should work on mine; it's been sadly neglected.

    ReplyDelete