Sunday, June 19, 2016

Loopy Love Baby Sweater

No Mandala Madness picture this week.  I'm nearly done with Part 12, but as the sun began to set on Friday evening, I knew I wasn't going to manage to get it done in time to get a picture to post today. And knew we'd be up and out too early to snap a picture in the morning light (hubs is working the computer at church and I'm running the sound board this morning).

And with it being Father's Day today and our kids coming over for a grill-out after church, I knew I wouldn't be working on it today before I wanted to post, so tune in next week!  I think it will be the grand finale.  :)

But I do have pictures!  :)  This week I crocheted a cute little Loopy Love Sweater as a baby shower gift for a young friend who's having her first baby this August.  It went over well yesterday - so well, people started clapping when they found out I made it.  And I wanted to melt into the floor.   Yes I have some wonderfully encouraging, if embarrassing friends.   This and a sweet blanket her grandmother crocheted were the only hand-made gifts she received yesterday (that I recall).  How different from the last baby shower I attended where the mother-to-be received no less than 5 hand-made baby blankets (the 5th being mine - another embarrassing moment, but for completely different reasons).


I don't know what size this really is (nor have any idea how big or small the new baby will be), but I'm confident it's not newborn size and expect it will be used in the autumn, or possibly even winter - so the dark rich colors will be more fitting than they seem here in June.

I wish you could reach through the screen and feel this yarn.  It's soooo soft.  And it machine washes and dries really nicely.  Two big pluses for a new mommy.


This was a super easy pattern.  Only made a little difficult by the varying spin of the colorful Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable yarn.   The unevenness of the yarn made it difficult to always get straight edges, but I'm choosing to see it as making the sweater look more unique.  Authentically handcrafted. It looks a little "boho" to me, so I bought a little pair of baby yoga pant "jeans" to gift with it.  :)


By the way...  that curling bottom corner blocked out nicely with a little steam (and stayed out after washing and drying) - what a relief.

I had no idea how (relatively) easy it is to crochet a little sweater.  I'm looking forward to making more.  Crochet lends itself to making a pretty little "lacey" girly sweater, but I'm hoping to also find a little boy's sweater pattern that looks nice crocheted up.

~~~~

When I was trying to figure out how big to make my Loopy Love Sweater,  I pulled out some sweaters from my (now adult) boys' "baby boxes".  This little mint-green sweater is actually one my husband wore over 60 years ago, and each of my three boys wore it as infants:


I was sure I was told (once upon a time) that this is a sweater his grandmother made and thinking that she only crocheted, I thought for years that this was a crocheted sweater.   But as I looked at it again this week (with eyes that have been seeing a lot of crochet in recent years) I'm thinking it's actually knit.

I feel a little silly doubting my own eyes, but after originally thinking this was crocheted, I think I'm just having trouble accepting the truth.  Look close, knitting friends...   Is this knit?








Our Year of Projects year ends next week - I cannot believe how quickly this year has flown by! Check out our group on Ravelry and consider yourself invited to join along as we begin a new year on July 3rd!


11 comments:

  1. Oh how sweet and adorable is your sweater, no wonder you got a round a applause! Love it to pieces. As for your husbands sweater, I can't believe how perfect it still is, just goes to show the lasting in a hand knit garment. It is definitely knit though. Those are knit cables with ribbing and the body of it looks to be a double seed/moss stitch. What a wonderful item to still have and will do many more generations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. I wondered what the stitch pattern was on the body of the sweater. What delicate/thin yarn this was made with, too. And yes...I think it's possible we may someday see a grandchild wearing this little thing. If we're so blessed, I think I'll have to insist on it. :)

      Delete
  2. The sweater is beautiful. The colors are perfect. I want to try that brand of yarn at some point. Every project I've seen with it makes is so lovely. Your talent is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dianna. It's an interesting yarn - mostly I've used it for scarves. It tends to baffle people when they feel a finished item made with it (especially non-yarn folks). It has something of a look and feel of soft wool about it, and when I explain it is acrylic some people don't seem to know what to say. I'm never sure if they are appalled or amazed. lol While no one asked me what the yarn was at the shower, I did see several people handling it and commenting on how soft it was. Which reminds me... I need to let the young momma know it's machine washable and dryable (on gentle, low heat, anyway).

      Delete
  3. Your sweater is fabulous and I'm sure will become an heirloom just like the one you found (agree with you and Ruth - it's definitely knit).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lucy. I'm just hoping it gets enjoyed a few times. I will say, making this made me a little sad that I didn't crochet when my children were younger. It would have been so much fun making them things when they were little.

      Delete
  4. Adorable sweater you made. The colors are so pretty, but then purple is my favorite. I will be anxious to see the mandala after round 12 is completed. I am sure it is just beautiful. How wonderful that you have a sweater from the past. It is so pretty and took a lot of love to make all the cables and seed stitching. Looking forward to seeing your year in review and your new list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marsha. I haven't given thought to what my "year in review" post should look like. Yikes. Maybe I should start working on that. =o

      Delete
  5. You crochet so beautifully and I can't blame them for giving you a round of applause. The sweater is beautiful and I always love your yarn choices. I can't wait to see what you're up to this next season of YOP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks, Sam. I feel the same way about all your creations. Looking forward to another YOP year.

      Delete
  6. Oh, the crochet cardi is just way too adorable!!! Love the colors. Yes, teh blue sweater looks knitted, not crocheted, but I am sure you can recreate something similar with a hook!

    ReplyDelete