Wednesday, January 29, 2020

A quick declutter...

This week was a new approach to decluttering/downsizing - whatever one wants to call it. 
Motivated by a rummage sale (this weekend) to benefit a little boy named Riley who has leukemia, I took a different kind of pass through the house.  Rather than focus on one area, or room, or category of items, I just took a sweep through the house and going through cupboards and drawers I found several box fulls of stuff to donate:

Kitchen stuff:





Some Christmas tins and stuff:





A few decor items:



Some crafty stuff:



And I repackaged the dishcloths I showed on Sunday.  I actually love these fun little jelly rolls and I was able to use the same labels (just trimmed down a bit):



There are some odds and ends (and some books) that didn't get photographed.  Also not pictured is an area rug I've had rolled up and stored in my closet.  I used to put it down in the living room on the hardwood floor during the winter months, but I haven't done that in at least five years.  It's in good condition, but it's a bit old fashioned - which is probably why it didn't sell when we put in into a garage sale of our own a few years ago.  I came across a tutorial online yesterday about overdyeing  rugs, and it might just be a great candidate.  If I end up having to go back and pick it up after the rummage sale, maybe I'll try that come spring.  Or maybe I'll just donate it to the salvage store...  Or let AmVets come and get it - that's what's happening to anything left over after the sale that people don't take back home.    

Oh, and we decided to take over a twin-size headboard.  None of our sons wanted it, and I'm not sure it's what I'd want to use if we ever got another twin size bed here for guests, so maybe it can help Riley out in some small way.

So...  while my rummage sale inspired decluttering this week didn't produce a huge amount of stuff, I feel pretty good about it - both in removing more items from my house, and thinking the items are decent contributions to the sale. 

Another thing I feel good about is that this last pass through the house resulted in some clarity about what to do next.  

And that may be fodder for an upcoming post.  

Stay tuned.  :)







9 comments:

  1. Sometimes doing a sweep is just the thing to get further motivation as you've proven here. It's fun to peek through what you're getting rid of - and I noticed the bowl of fruit. Must tell you that I have virtually the same fruit on my dining room table right now. It's there until I come up with something better to put there. I dream of fresh flowers but then I look at the price and promptly skid to a halt when I think what that money could better be spent on (things like food!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have mixed feelings about that fruit. First, the soft plastic of the grapes caused staining on some of it, and I found myself pitching pitching otherwise perfect pieces of plastic fruit. What's left above is really nice looking, but most of the time it lived in a bag in a closet waiting for the perfect time and way to display it.

      Other than feeling a bit nostalgic about fake fruit from my childhood, I wasn't all that crazy about displaying it as a collection. I usually would just use pieces in different ways - though I can't even remember how exactly now. Which is why it was good to go - so I must hang onto that thought). Uh oh. Now, I'm thinking some of it might have made good props for photo - sigh. That is the danger of giving this stuff thought once it's gone.

      I'm finding it funny that I did save back some "shriveled" up fruit that I sometimes tuck into a Thanksgiving centerpiece. What is striking me as funny is that I would never keep (or display) shriveled REAL fruit. Why do I think my fake ones are attractive in that way??? lol

      Delete
  2. For just doing a sweep, you still found some lovely things to donate to the Tue worthy cause. Do you think you will ever completely declutter everything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question, Marsha. And it makes me laugh. The simple answer is no. lol The longer answer might make a good blog post. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful contribution you are making! I wish I lived closer as I could give a whole bunch of stuff...dishes (3 sets) and furniture. You did wonderful and I'm sure your cute packaged dish cloths are going to go fast! I hope they make a lot of money for Riley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aside from them being cute, what I like best about the rolled dishcloths (2 per roll) is that more "units" can be sold than when they were packaged as three. whatever price they go for, I think they're likely to bring in more money (total) broken down into those cute little rolls.

      Delete
  4. That was good progress and for a good cause. I find a walk through every now and then is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good for some perspective for me.

      Delete
  5. Great job on the decluttering and wonderful that it will benefit someone else.

    ReplyDelete