Sunday, February 23, 2020

A favorite...

For weeks, I resisted the urge to start yet another project, but this week I finally gave in.  I started on my third Leaping Stripes Blanket.   

I enjoy making new things, but I love having favorite patterns that I can return to and remake in different ways.  Nevermind that this blanket is (so far) identical to one I made a few years ago.  That blanket was donated to charity.  This blanket will never run into the first one, so all's well.

One of the things I love about this pattern is that it makes good use of variegated yarn - so much so that I have actually bought variegated yarns in the past with the intention of making more of these blankets.   The variegated used below is Red Heart Soft in the colorway Plummy.  I've combined it with lilac and white.  I can tell I'm going to have to buy more of the Lilac color before this is finished, but I'm plowing through a lot of Plummy and White  yarn from my stash!

About 1/3 of the way finished, here's a close up of the stitches:


Another thing to love about the stitch pattern is that it's completely unnecessary to weave in bunches of ends if one uses just three different colors.  The yarn is carried up one side and then crocheted over when creating a border.  What's not to love about that!

It's a super simple stitch pattern, but Tamara Kelly has created a video tutorial to make it even simpler.  😊



To see what other YOPers are up to, 
visit their blogs in my sidebar.  👉



23 comments:

  1. That is so pretty. But them I love anything purple. Love the way the variegated works with this pattern. I agree it is always good to have a favorite pattern to run to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marsha. I love purple, too. Even though I'm trying to use up my purple yarn. No doubt, just so I can buy some more. ;^)

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful! Love the colors and the pattern. I'll have to keep this in mind . . . I've been thinking about crocheting a blanket for the new grandbaby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lauren. It's an easy pattern than works up great in soft as well as vibrant colors. And can be made in any size. I intended this one to be toddler-sized, but I made it too wide for that, so I think it's going to end up being adult sized before I'm done. :)

      Delete
  3. I love that stitch pattern, and after sewing in ALL the ends of my latest sweater I am ready for something that doesn't require sewing in ends. I will definitely check out the video. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A blanket like this would be a breeze after all those ends on that sweet little sweater. :)

      Delete
  4. I can see why this would be a favourite Becki - both the pattern AND the beautiful yarn. Purple is one of my more favourite colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purple seems to have a lot of fans. I always feel a little sad when someone says they don't particularly like it. What's not to like about purple?!?

      Delete
  5. That’s so funny, I had an image in my head of your two blankets running into each other in someone’s bedroom. It’s midnight here so I’m clearly tired but it made me chuckle. The pattern is gorgeous, much more interesting than the normal granny stripes I see a lot of. This looks very attractive and I can see why you’d come back to it. Of course I love it...it’s purple 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was exactly the image I was going for when I wrote that. I'm glad it made you chuckle. ;^) Thanks for your kind comment, Liz.

      Delete
  6. oh that is a fun make! I like the colour!!! I like familiar patterns too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. A familiar pattern is like an old friend. :)

      Delete
  7. I;m not a purple gal yet I always love that color when I see others using it. That blanket is awesome and I have faved it as usual. Everything you do is a favorite of mine....plus I love crocheted blankets. Thank you for the inspiration! Not that I need another project but who knows? Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do realize that every color isn't for everyone. For excample, I love seeing orange used. I LOVE a happy, bright orange! But I can't wear it well. I can wear orange(ish) under say, a purple sweater, though. :)

      Delete
  8. I am really loving that color. I might need to give Mother a new project... a purple one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for pointing out such a fun looking blanket pattern. I have printed out a copy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful project and how nice to start a project in such pretty colors! I am waiting for some yarn to come in the mail to start a new sweater for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty colour combination? It's going to be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like these smooshy purples you're using.

    ReplyDelete