Wednesday, February 26, 2020

What would you be relieved to be rid of?

Recently, when watching youtube videos on the topic of minimizing, I came across the one below.  Vera offers  up 10 questions to use when decluttering.  My first thought was that surely there was nothing new here, but I figured it might be worth listening to anyway.  Check it out if decluttering, minimizing, or even just evaluating your shopping habits is something you're interested in:


I was actually surprised.   While I suppose the concepts behind the questions aren't exactly new, the questions themselves provided just enough newness that it sparked some motivation to once again get with the program of downsizing, getting rid of, minimizing...

The question that really struck me was, "If someone told me I HAD to get rid of this [insert object here] and I didn't have a choice, would I secretly feel relieved?"

I instantly recognized this question as being a form of one I often ask myself:   "Does this item spark guilt?"  Or, the idea of feeling relieved is similar to the experience I have when something I've been hanging onto is found ruined somehow.  Once I get over the initial feeling of guilt or frustration that I allowed something to become ruined, I'm actually relieved to just toss the thing and be done with it. It doesn't make me feel virtuous to have these feelings, or to admit this, but I doubt I'm unique in having this experience.

Interestingly, as I turned away from the computer my eyes landed on the magazine below - that somehow had gotten loose from the stack of crochet and knit magazines I was sorting through earlier.  

Applying the question to it, I instantly knew the answer to the question was "Yes!  I'd feel relieved if I was forced to get rid of it."   For some reason I hang onto it - I'm sure because it sparks some feelings of nostalgia.  But honestly, not enough to warrant hanging on to it.  I love me a fun granny square, but seriously...  I'm not going to make anything in this magazine!  Ever!



Then I decided to do a quick walk through some rooms and within about 5 minutes of just opening some closets and some drawers, I quickly came up with this collection of stuff that I also feel relieved to part with:



Who knows why these things didn't make the cut when I was decluttering in November, or since then, but today I say an easy "Bye-Bye!" to them.  

While it's only a few items, I feel lighter.  I feel lighter when anything leaves the house anymore.  And armed with some questions asked in fresh-to-me ways, I think I'm finally motivated to dive into some specific spaces for cleaning and decluttering as thoughts are turning to spring.

On my list of obvious areas to declutter/downsize:

  • pantry
  • closets by front door
  • my clothes closet
  • bathroom linen closet
  • storage area - that is our furnace room
  • laundry room
  • a paper crafting space off my closet
  • an alcove that mostly contains books and DVDs
  • and always...  books.

I don't know where I'll start first.  I may start on one and change my mind.  Honestly, none of these spaces appeals to me at all to pull apart, sift through, and put back together.  But hopefully by next week about this same time I'll have made a decision and will have made headway on tackling one of these areas.   If so, I'll be back to report on it!  ðŸ˜Š







16 comments:

  1. Have you ever heard of Creatinmaryshome.com? She does a 13 week declutter that is awesome. I started it a couple of years ago but never finished because life got in the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marsha. I've not heard of it, but I will check it out!

      Delete
  2. Those are really good questions. Not the usual ones. I like her emphasis on recognizing what the present day you, not the aspirational you, needs.

    The downsizing I did with art materials recently definitely helped with my art life. It's like taking the stopper out of the bottle of ideas. Just so much easier to move forward without the weight of materials that have served their purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I do understand this, but applying it sometimes eludes me. I've recognized for some time that the more creative materials I possess, the less productive I am with them. My latest realization in this area has come from my overabundance of yarn. I like the last line of what you wrote above. Thinking about this might help me to let go of more of this kind of stuff. I do take some comfort, though, from knowing I've curbed my accumulation of craft stuff (says she who waits for the delivery of an embroidery/cross stitch stand). lol I have great hope this little stand is going to make my cross stitching much more comfortable and productive. So I don't feel the least bit bad about it. I can't wait 'till it arrives! Of course, if it doesn't do these things, I'll be singing a different song.

      Delete
  3. This was a great post for me as I am in "the throws" of decluttering my craft's room....the toughest room to let go of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I think it's because craft items represent possibilities for me. Things I wanted to do. Getting over the myriad feelings that getting rid of these types of things produces can be challenge. But I almost always feel relieved to let even these things go. I may feel MOST relieved to let these things go.

      Delete
  4. I agree that there is nothing new under the sun - that hasn't been said before - about decluttering. Really, it is all just about "pealing the onion." The first go thru - the stuff is easy to part with. A second go thru - always brings other things to the surface that you don't want to keep. You just keep peeling the onion of its layers and you get down to what really matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly. I've been doing a slow peel for years. :^) I do think, though, that motivation can be had by listening to new (and for me, young) voices who are seeking to live a life that is less encumbered by things. An old question asked in a new way can sometimes bring clarity.

      Delete
  5. I like Retired Knitter's analogy. I think that has definitely been my approach. I have systematically gone through the same places year after year. I felt like this year I had finally achieved a good bit. Now to not bring more clutter in again.
    Yes, there have been items that I have been secretly so relieved to get out of here and I suspect there are a few more of those in my china cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Developing the mindset of not bringing more clutter in is a huge benefit of consciously going through our stuff in order to whittle it down. Certainly, we'll continue to buy things we want and need (or think we need) and some of those things will become tomorrow's surplus, but I do believe I do this much more thoughtfully after peeling several layers of my big ol' fat onion. :)

      Delete
  6. Such a timely post! I am once again so tired of all the clutter! But I am a natural pack-rat. The stuff that I might need someday or enjoyed in the past is just everywhere. This question hit me hard - "Would I secretly be relieved?" The answer to so many things as I look around my office is "Yes!"

    Thanks for sharing your journey in such a candid way. It has been encouraging and motivating to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it was timely for you, SweetCakers! And I'm encouraged that any efforts I make in downsizing are helpful to anyone else. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  7. Interesting questions on that video - they did spark a different outlook on decluttering and now I'm inspired to tackle my space again. I think perhaps I will set that urge aside until my cataracts reach the point where I can't see properly to stitch and that will be a good time to concentrate on getting rid of stuff. One thing I find helpful when it comes to crafting magazines and books - I ponder whether I can find the same pattern/idea online at little to no cost and if the answer is yes I can let it go without guilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two good points you make, Mary Anne. My shoulder has been hurting me again so maybe now's a good time to set my crocheting and stitching aside and concentrate on the decluttering/downsizing - as hard as that is to do...

      Delete