Sunday, February 9, 2020

Has it only been a week?

Somehow, this past week has felt more like a month...

Post has been edited to remove some information that I've since thought better about posting to WWW.  Carry on...

Hubs has been gone for the last 3 days and is driving home through slushy slush as I type. 

I thought I'd get so much done while he was gone, but at the moment I can't account for a lot.

There was lunch one day with a friend and her mother.  Her mother (who is just a few years younger than my MIL) is like an older version of my friend.  Double the fun!

I worked a couple of days this past week with Ruth.  In some ways she appears to be holding steady - and is as sweet as ever.  On the other hand, she's losing interest and stamina for some of the things we've done in the past.  I know this is the progression her condition, and I'm thankful it has been slow and I have enjoyed so many good days with her.  Still do enjoy our time together.  Just differently.

With hubs gone I thought I'd get to some more "minimizing".  But I really didn't have the focus for it.  Wishing I'd plowed ahead through something anyway.  

But I didn't.  

No sense regretting what is behind, I guess.

I did finish Part 4 of Sacred Space.  This section was mostly black with the addition of  yellow.  It doesn't look like much right now, but it's important to photograph each finished part if I want to look back on the evolution of it - which is fun to do.



At 49 inches across already, I'm sure I won't be making this full sized.  After one more part in the round, I'll have a better idea of when I'll be calling it quits.


~~~~~ 

And then I thought this might be of interest... 

Early in the week I got word that someone who was at last weekend's rummage sale/fundraiser wanted to know if I had more dishcloths I'd like to sell.  I heard a groan slip out as I felt an unwelcome and unasked for angst over knowing I can't, with a straight face, ask a price that does justice to the time they take to knit. 

But thinking of them as a contribution to a fundraiser, I was able to quickly put the groaning away.  

I called the woman and told her there were 4 "jelly rolls" of 2 cloths each left over from the fundraiser.  Not having any idea what anyone paid for them at the sale, I told her she could have any (or all) of those for $6.00/roll ($3.00/cloth) figuring that would allow me to donate possibly $24 more dollars to the fundraiser.  

She told me she expected to pay more than that.  Then I got an idea...  since I'd already given her a price, I asked how many she'd like at $3.00/cloth, that is if she didn't mind receiving them loose and in random colors.  She thought for a moment and asked how many I had.  I guessed I had 10-15 left at that point.  She told me between the rolls and loose cloths, she'd buy 20!  "Sixty dollars?" - I wanted to make sure she knew how much she was agreeing to pay.

Yep.  She knew.  And seemed thrilled about it.

I bagged them and took them to the church where the rummage sale had been held so she could pick them up (and pay for them) at her convenience.  I found out yesterday she paid $70.00 for the cloths.   I realize she received something for that money, and the price per cloth was a deal, but I was tickled about it all the same. I never knit dishcloths with the aim to sell them.  It's about the pleasure of making them, and then using or gifting them.  To be able to recognize that I had something already made that could be turned into easy money for a good cause is kind of wonderful. 

And now I can make more without feeling ridiculous that I'm just adding to the pile of cloths I already have.  I know many of us knit and crochet for charity purposes.  I do too, but I also consider myself something of a selfish knitter/crocheter - in that I make what I want, when I want.  And truly groan at the thought of someone asking me if they can pay me to make them something.  I've done it a few times in the past, but I've learned that it takes much of the joy out of handcrafting for me.

But when selfish knitting meets a good cause?!?   I'm thinking that might just be serendipity at its finest.  😀









21 comments:

  1. It’s great your dish cloths have been so successful. The Sacred Space is really coming along and looking great, dishcloths are about the only thing I’m willing to gift knitting wise, as I’m such a selfish knitter these days. Which cotton yarn do you use for your dishcloths?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a variety of cotton yarns for dishcloths: Sugar 'n Cream, Peaches & Cream, Premier Home Cotton, Hobby Lobby's ILT Cotton, Hobby Lobby's Crafter's Secret, Knit Picks Dishie... I wonder what it may be like someday once I've whittled down my crazy cotton stash. I knit with a size 4 needles and I think that makes for a denser cloth, which I like very much.

      Delete
    2. I’ve only used the Sugar ‘n Cream for all my dishcloths. I’ll make a note of the size 4, not sure what US size I’ve been using.

      Delete
  2. Nice that your dishcloths are serving all kinds of good purposes.

    About not getting more clearing done: are you making allowance for the emotional upsets you've had lately? They take stamina, and it's okay to be a bit passive for a day or two. Have you been doing nice things for yourself recently? You take care of everyone, so I hope that includes you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really felt emotionally upset, but rather am bolstering my dh who's feeling the stress more directly. I've been in these shoes and it's time to pull from that experience to encourage and sometimes even give some advice. I suppose it could be said that this week (especially the end of the week) was kind of taking care of me. I did get me some Chinese take-out which felt like a real treat. ;^)

      Delete
  3. Gosh Becki, what a surprised blessing with the dishcloths. Now you can start all over again and not feel guilty.

    Your sacred space is absolutely gorgepus. How large do you think it would be if you did the entire pattern?

    I find when hubby is gone, I really need to kock myself to do the things I have on my 'to don't list. But when he is home I have no problem completing things one after another. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the introduction to the pattern the dimensions given are 60" square when using DK weight yarn, and 72 inches square when using worsted weight yarn. 60" square would be more than big enough for me. I'm just hoping I am able to square it and have it look nicely finished before it gets too unwieldy for me.

      Delete
  4. serendipity indeed. I hope your MIL continues to make such great strides with her healing. What a trooper! It seems like every post I have read so far is talking about dishcloths. I think God is trying to get my attention! lol. Ok, dishcloths will be in the queue from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dishcloths are a great little project to pick up when something larger or more complicated just seems like too much work. ;^)

      Delete
  5. How wonderful. We crafters know the value of our work. But you are right! Someone who appreciates the product produced and feels that got a bargain - which she did - and it benefits a good cause ... that is a Win Win in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We both come out feeling really good about helping someone else.

      Delete
  6. Becki, I find my self filled with guilt sometimes. I consider myself a selfish crocheter as well. I do the same as you: crochet what I feel like and groan when someone asks me for something specific, even when they are willing to pay a real price. It takes the fun, and relaxation, out of it for me. But ask for a donation to a worthy cause or something sitting in the bin of projects completed with no thought of what to do with them - sure, feel free to find what you need!

    But I don't really consider myself selfish since crochet is a stress reliever for me. Helping me deal with and relieve stress also helps me be a better person for those around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SweetCakers! I totally understand. I try to not take on guilt. And am getting better about saying no. It's really hard when someone mentions to my husband that someone expressed (to him) interest in me making something and he them wants me to call them. After doing that a few times and having conversations where the person realizes they don't want to (or can't) pay what I'd ask (which is still lower than the true value of my time), I've decided to not do that to myself anymore. It's embarrassing and aggravating.

      I think this is what I really love about discovering people online who also love to craft simply for the joy of it. I rarely feel the need anymore to succumb to explaining why I make blankets, for example, for no other purpose than I want to make one. I'll figure out what to do with it (them) later. Yesterday I heard of another fund raiser upcoming (a different situation). While I don't have a pile of dishcloths to donate right now, I'm hoping the fundraiser is structured in such a way that I'll feel good donating possibly a blanket I've already made and is just waiting for its purpose to become evident. :)

      Delete
  7. The Sacred Space is beautiful! Is it a rug or a blanket? It's so funny....I would love to sell some of my makes to make money for more supplies! But those kind of opportunities never come about for me. I notice they come about to people who don't want to sell their makes. LOL! Life is strange! Lucky you though! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam. Sacred Space is a blanket. These round blankets look like they'd make neat rugs, but there is so much texture to them, I'm not sure they'd hold up well underfoot.

      Regarding selling items... I'm happy enough to sell items if they're already made and just sitting around (in storage). That doesn't happen (for me) very often, though. It's the being commissioned to make something that takes the joy out of it for me. Or someone (with no real knowledge suggests that I could sell what I make - groan). I suppose if it truly was my livelihood and people were readily willing to pay a price that honored the investment made in making something, I'd feel differently. FWIW... I wouldn't pay someone a crazy high price for the things I make either. I don't fault people. I understand the situation. I just hate going through the motions (make that emotions) of getting to that point of realization for someone else.

      Delete
  8. I am glad that your knitting went to a good cause. I too am kind of a selfish crafter. I don't really like to sew or do anything other than what I want. Occasionally though I have sewn things for church.
    I find decluttering works best when I am in the mood. Don't beat yourself up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't take for granted being at a stage in life where I can pretty much do what I want when I want and for why I want. It seems like a real sweet spot to be in - where life meets ministry more than it ever seemed to before. Or maybe it's just different - because life sure seemed full of ministry then, too. I did love raising kids and homeschooling them - the busyness, the activity, ministry revolving around kids or including the kids. I'm just glad that "retirement" has felt sweet, too.

      Delete
  9. Wow your Sacred Space project looks stunning and well done with the washcloths, it's always great to do a little bit for the charities that need our help...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine. I'm enjoying getting back to this project, though I'm thinking of taking a break only because it's getting so large it's soon may be hard to photograph it inside (looking straight down on it). :)

      Delete
  10. So glad your dishcloths went over well and that they contributed a nice amount to the fundraiser. I am still so in like with your Sacred Space and keep muttering 'get thee behind me, temptation'. I don't need any more afghans and I would have to buy the yarn to make one, but oh how I love those saturated colours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool money amount for your dishcloths! Yay! Your mandala is really awesome.

    ReplyDelete