Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Part 3: Hospital Stay, Day Five...

My friend, Dory, hearing I would be spending the weekend in the hospital, contacted me to see if I'd like a visit on Saturday.  Oh yes!  You'd better believe it! 

I got up with new purpose on Saturday, showered, put on normal clothes (including shoes), and waited for Dory's arrival.  I checked with my nurse to see if there was anywhere other than my room where we could meet.  Not that Dory wouldn't have been fine with meeting in my room, but I was ready to spread my wings and visit some other corner of the hospital after being given permission to do so the day before.   I was told there was a "Friends and Family waiting room" that we could use.  Great!  I met my friend at the elevator and we went to this little "kitchenette" room to spend an hour or so.  Dory brought us milkshakes (a heavenly treat after nearly a week of hospital food), and at some point, she broke out some cards and we started playing - what, I don't remember.  Thankful she had thought of cards, I was nearly giddy to be doing something - anything - so ordinary.

At some point in the visit, I decided to make a trip back to my room to get some things (one item being a cup of ice water for me).   On my way back to the room where Dory was waiting for me, I had to pass through two different sets of double doors.  As I approached the first set, a motion detector started two doors opening in opposite directions in front of me.  Now, I don't know if you've ever had this happen to you, but as I walked (maybe a little too quickly) the soft rubbery toe of my right shoe grabbed onto the highly waxed tile floor, pitching me slightly forward.  When this has happened to me before, I've sort of jerked my arms out a bit to keep my balance, and then a tad embarrassed, regained my footing and simply carried on. But this time, I suspect because of the opening doors ahead of me (and the one coming toward me that I needed to avoid), and maybe because my hands were full, and maybe because I was walking too fast and happy...  I fell.  To the floor.  On one knee, and possibly my posterior.  I don't remember exactly as I was up nearly as quickly as I went down.  But the nurses saw it and came running.  

While certainly embarrassed at my clumsiness, I didn't think it was a big deal.  I mentioned that I spilled some water and I think I even said, "I'll get some paper towels", to which a nurse replied, "We'll take care of it."  They were only concerned that I was okay.  I assured them I was fine, and thinking nothing more of it, I happily made my way back to my friend who was waiting for me to return.  I told her what happened, laughed off some of my embarrassment, and I think I was beginning to deal cards when my nurse and technician came into the room very somber.  They explained that they would have to report the fall, and check me over to make sure I wasn't hurt.  They communicated that they felt terrible about it, but it would mean that I would need to go back to my room.  And that I would have to have alarms turned on on my bed and recliner.  I'm still stunned remembering that moment.  I had just gotten freedom to leave my hospital room in some meaningful fashion, and the freedom was being snatched away over a stumble that could have happened to anybody!  I started to make the argument that controlling my fall (rather than tumbling into a moving door which would have surely injured me), and picking myself up as ably as I did was clearly evidence of my being able bodied.  It was my shoe that was the problem, not me.  The issue was so ridiculously obvious, I was having trouble taking it all seriously.  In disbelief, I even joked, "What are you going to do if I don't comply - kick me out?  Please do!"   I was just incredulous.  And heart broken.

Even though they felt sympathetic, and they knew the stumble had not been a reflection of my ability to walk, they had to comply with hospital policy.  This is the point where I learned that a patient's "fall risk" is a compilation of things, some of those things having little to nothing at all to do with any individual's actual fall risk factors.  In the end, determining a patient's "fall risk" is about statistics and liability.  Statistical factors, as well as real factors (of which I had none at that point) are entered into a computer and an algorithm takes the decision out of nurses' hands to assess an individual for his or her personal risk factors for falling.   Things like medicines and various signs of instability (these I can appreciate), age, and even sex are typed into the computer.   I have no idea if certain statistics are true, but even accepting for the sake of argument that say, statistically woman perhaps fall more than men (though without knowing why, the statistic has very little value), that statistic has nothing to do with me as an individual.  It has nothing to do with my personal "fall risk" and everything to with the hospital's liability risk. 

After Dory left, I sat in my room for a couple of hours on an alarm pad that would sound if I got up.  To say I was indignant would be an understatement.  As I stewed over the whole thing I became increasing angry over the stupidity and wrongness of the situation.  And not just for me.  I was incredulous that a hospital expects patients to trust the professionals it hires to care for them, but the same hospital will not trust those same professionals to asses a patient and make reasonable conclusions about something like this - after hours (in my case, DAYS) of observation of a patient.  Nurses that I had literally trusted with my life all week, were stripped of the ability to make a decision that would respect my actual abilities and mobility - that they could clearly see were fine.  That a hospital would adopt a policy to allow an algorithm to make such a decision and turn a trusted relationship into potentially an adversarial one was just ludicrous to me. 

This might be a good time to mention that on Monday night after my emergency surgery, and at least part of Tuesday, there was an alarm on my bed.  I was weak and on medicines and at times could barely keep my eyes open.  I was hooked up to various things, and I couldn't get up and walk anywhere without someone unhooking me from something attached to the wall (a heart monitor, I believe).  There was no thought during that time that the alarm was for anything other than my protection.  I didn't resent it.  I understood its purpose.

But once I was unhooked from the heart monitor, I demonstrated numerous times that I could take the IV pole to the bathroom and manage perfectly fine.  In fact, it wasn't until they took me off the heart monitor that I began to question the need for the bed alarm.  At that point, I had become strong enough, and the staff had had time to see that I was stable.  I don't remember asking more than once before the bed alarm was turned off for me.  The alarm wasn't an issue to me when it was needed, and it seemed to be an easy decision for them to remove it when I became stronger and it was no longer needed.

Anyway, after stewing about my new confinement for a couple of hours, I unplugged the chair alarm I had been resentfully sitting on and walked myself out to the nurses' station and asked if there was an actual human being I could speak to about the situation.  To be clear, these were my nurse and tech who felt bad about the whole thing, and who wished there was a way around the policy.  They appeared happy that I wanted to talk to someone higher up.  They said they would request this person come and talk with me.  With new purpose, I went back to my room to put some of my thoughts down on paper while I waited for this person to arrive.  A half hour or so later, I heard someone(s) coming into my room.  My back was to the door, but I began to greet my visitor(s) as I pushed my chair back from a little table I was sitting at.  Imagine my shock when, as I turned around, I saw a police officer standing in my room. Beside the police officer was the person who I was told would come to speak with me.  I don't remember what her title was, so here on out, she will be known as the administrator.

Now...  while I was incredulous to see the police officer, it only took me a few seconds to realize she was there in case some sort of protection was needed.  I guess.  Or was her intimidating presence the sole reason for her to be there?  The administrator referred to the police officer as "her friend" that she always brought along to this kind of meeting.  Feeling patronized that that was her explanation of a police officer's presence in my room, and I'm sure stifling an eyeroll, I concluded I just had to "be the adult" in this whole situation.  I stated that I was surprised to see a police officer, and said her presence made me nervous (my voice was now shaking a bit and I figured it was better to just be open about my discomfort), but in spite of that I pressed to explain my issue.  Actually, just before this, I asked the administrator who was a young woman and towered over me if we could both have a seat.  She hesitated, but when I sat down and motioned to the couch where she could sit, she did so - even though she didn't look like she really wanted to.  What I had moments before I envisioned as an opportunity to reason with someone in authority, and bring a little humanity into a situation that was being controlled by an impersonal policy and a computer algorithm, was suddenly feeling very unfriendly.  But I pressed on.

The administrator seemed nervous, too, from what I could tell.  I'm in no position to know how often a police officer is needed in a situation like this, but in my estimation her presence in the room was a complete negative in this case.  Afterwards I wondered, Could the officer not have been outside the door waiting for me to - do what, I don't know?!?  But just in case the administrator really did need her help.  Like if somehow this 64 year-old woman who is supposedly too weak or unstable to walk around freely, is strong enough to inflict harm on a nearly 6 ft tall athletically built young woman.  

I'm sorry.  It gets really hard for me to not get sarcastic as I recall all of this.

Interestingly, about 20 minutes in (though I have no idea, really, how much time had passed), the administrator evidently felt safe enough that she dismissed the police officer.  The atmosphere changed immediately.  I know I instantly relaxed, and the administrator appeared to let down some of her guard.  At some point, the charge nurse came in, and we actually had some friendly discussion amongst the three of us.   At some point, when we were in this more relaxed state, and I brought up issues of privacy - which I felt more keenly because I had a male nurse and tech that night, the administrator actually began to suggest "work arounds" to the problem.  Things that could give me some autonomy and privacy (for things like going to the bathroom, for crying out loud).  That I had to even ask for that in my able-bodied state troubles me - still.  While, on some level, I appreciated the suggested work-arounds, they really only made a mockery of the whole thing.  That they were offered, highlighted that there was a problem with the systematic, impersonal way in which patients are identified as fall risks.  In the moment, it felt like something, though.  But when I discovered later that I would have to negotiate these work-arounds with each new nurse/tech combo, and they were not compelled (probably didn't even have the authority) to negotiate anything regarding my movement, I realized the "work-arounds" were meaningless offerings.  I was on my on to manage the situation as best as I could. 

Really, while my complaints were freely voiced, it seemed the whole thing was a pointless exercise.  While never giving a hint at being persuaded by any of my words, the administrator finally camped out on she herself feeling helpless because of the hospital policy.  How convenient.  She could sympathize with me, but she had no power to change the situation.  And she didn't seem the least bit troubled by it.   In fact, she seemed to see it as her duty to keep to the script.

The message was loud and clear.  No one who actually matters in the relationship of patient/caregiver has any autonomy anymore.  The nurses said they had no autonomy, the administrator said she had no autonomy.  It's as if they all had memorized the script.  It seems I surrendered my autonomy when I presently myself for surgery on Monday night.  Lawyers hold the cards, and in this case a patient suffers for it.  Up to this point, the suffering felt is mostly emotional and mental, but it was suffering, nonetheless.  It was a maddening situation.  A patient, who on one hand was considered well enough to go home, is caught in an algorithm that decides she must be confined to bed or chair with alarms - not because she fell from mobility or other health issues, but because she fell from a stupid choice in footwear.  But there is no blank for explaining things like that.   And there is no way to redeem oneself from this decision.  The decision is made, and it stays made until you leave.  I asked, and that's what I was told.

And for a bit of irony...   When I described what caused the fall to whoever would listen, almost every nurse or technician (and even a different administrator) admitted they have tripped similarly, and recognized how easily the fall happened.  Just looking at the highly polished floors, and the footwear the staff wears, no one had to tell me for me to know that this sort of tripping happens on the job, but I sure appreciated the sense of solidarity it felt like in the moment (even if none of that matter in the case of my "confinement").

And I haven't even mentioned how my health began to suffer between Friday and Monday.  The stress from earlier in the week, waiting day after day expecting to be released, started to look like a cake walk.

To be continued...




22 comments:

  1. The same thing happened with us when my husband was in the hospital earlier this year. Our litigious society is part to blame. And doctors that won't listen are a real thorn.
    All I can say is *hugs* and God bless, Becki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are a world run by lawyers and computers. I'm sorry your husband experienced a similar situation, Linda. I appreciate the validation, though.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness. You certainly have made brought up some very good things to think about if any of us ever get hospitalized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't fall, that's for sure! You know, Marsha... at one point when I was sitting quietly in the recliner and I heard a loud thud coming from the room next door. I asked my nurse later if someone had fallen, and he told me yes. So falls happen, and maybe they happen a lot. I don't take it lightly. I even behaved a little more carefully after my confinement when I would get up from seated or lying down position to get up and go to the bathroom - since that's about all I was allowed to do at that point. Lack of freedom of movement for most of two days at the end, probably were my biggest fall risk factors at that point.

      And I'm not unsympathetic with the situation that nursing staff are in. I just think there there needs to be room for nursing staff to use some judgement when making calls about someone's fall risk.

      Delete
  3. Liability drives everything now, including the ability of anyone to make any kind of decision, as you note.

    The police officer is actually not that surprising to me, at least anymore. Third party witness to an incident which was likely described as a potentially argumentative patient who has a complaint and will not be deterred. Not only as an impartial "witness", but I am sure not everyone is as calm on conversation as you are.

    You persuade me even harder to work more diligently on my health as I can. This sounds like some sort of bureaucratic nightmare.

    (I do wonder if your initial infection had sensitized the hospital as well. You mentioned the surgeon said this never happens; they could already feel themselves at some kind of liability risk.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't disagree with you, TB. I figured out the police thing pretty quickly, and as dismayed at I (still) am over what a negative spin her presence put on the encounter, I don't presume to know the dangers that this administrator faces. While I feel the policy officer's presence could have been handled differently, in the end, my biggest complaint is that she would be introduced as a friend of this other person. Really... respect the patient (especially, when she's obviously calm when you encounter her) enough to come right out and state the reason for the police officer's presence. I wrote, but erased it before publishing this post, that this administrator would make a terrific bureaucrat.

      Delete
  4. My heart goes out to you Becki, I don't know how you managed to stay so calm. It's like your life has been taken out of your hands, it's mad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, Linda, I don't know how I stayed so calm for the duration of that stay. I had a couple of mild venting sessions (that, I think, show up in the next post), and I had a period on Sunday of several hours of deep depression when coming off anti-anxiety medicine I'd accepted (not realizing what it was) in an attempt to rid myself of a terrible headache, but even with those things I was amazed I could keep to my resolve to remain mostly calm and continue to try to communicate my needs.

      Delete
  5. Oh Becki!! I'm thankful that you are now on the other side of this. I'm looking forward to hearing "the conclusion of the whole matter" that you arrive at.

    This is steeling my determination to stay as healthy as possible and not to step foot in a hospital unless I am bleeding to death. I knew things were bad, but I had no idea how bad. Thank you for sharing your experience so candidly. Maybe the Lord allowed you to experience this so you could be a voice for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish keeping out of the hospital was a simple as staying as healthy as possible. Before a cancer diagnosis I felt the same way. While I've historically seen myself as a pretty strong person, dealing with something that is so out of my control, I very keenly feel the frailty of our human condition now. While thankful for modern medicine, I am terribly afraid of the possibility of ever needing to go into a hospital (as a patient) again. My still-pink-and-tender surgical wound from the port removal is a constant reminder that I am not in control.

      Delete
  6. What a terrible experience! The intended focus of hospital care has gotten totally turned around from patient well-being to hospital well-being ... all because there were a few lawsuits that set the stage for this very self protective stance by an institution. It is like the stupid policy in this area that ALL patients no matter how mobile they are must be discharged and rolled out of the hospital in a wheel chair. Crazy times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, the interesting things was that when I was discharged I was allowed to walk out of the hospital (walk quite a distance to the elevators, ride from the fourth to the first floor, then walk all the way out to our car which Hub was unable to park directly in front of the door. I was prepared to do a "protest walk" if they told me I had to be taken out in a wheel chair, but that didn't happen. While I haven't enumerated the details of conversations I had over the course of the last two and a half days, the contradictory nature of all of this was just astounding. And that I as a patient who clearly needed to stay calm, was expected to just accept it (or so it seemed), was just maddening. I'm hoping having written about this here proves to be useful, or simply cathartic for me, but honestly, it makes me mad just recalling it.

      Delete
  7. Oh no. That would have angered me too. To let go of that would be a real challenge. HUGS ❤️🫂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been hard. In the next post I share more about that.

      Delete
    2. ❤️❤️❤️❤️ read your post and commented !

      Delete
    3. Sorry above was me didn't see it put me as anonymous

      Delete
    4. Elizabeth, I don't have any other way to contact you, but I did see your comment and I chose to delete it. If you have any questions feel free to contact me via email - found in my profile.

      Delete
  8. I do not like that a police officer came into your room w the administrator. So sorry about all this extra stress! I'm sure it hasn't helped your overall health. I hope you are home now! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even appreciating that the administrator may truly feel the need to bring her along for such encounters, it was no easy thing to see her there. I am home and doing really well. Thank you, Martha!

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness. This is unbelievable-but I believe it! Frustrating and inhuman. So sorry you have had to go through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra. I hope I don't ever have a repeat of this scenario.

      Delete