Sunday, October 1, 2017

Hats For Kids...

As of today, I declare my hat factory officially closed.  I don't know if 17 hats is a good number to have made in the last four weeks, or if it's a ridiculous number, but this is what I've got to show for my crocheting efforts over the last month.


Washed and dried, these hats are super soft and if they find the right heads to fit, they ought to keep some kiddos warm come winter.

I know I shared a couple of the patterns here when I first made them, but I thought I'd share all the patterns - in one place this time.  Clicking on the pictures will take you to my Ravelry project page, that will have any notes I made, as well as a link to the designer's page.  Clicking on the links in the text below the pictures will take you to a video tutorial of each hat.


The Divine Hat was probably the easiest and quickest to make, and of course I love it for that reason alone.  Because the pattern produces a hat on the large side, though, I had to tweak it a bit to get it kid-size.  Basically, I just continued with 3 dc shells, instead of enlarging to 4 dc shells where the pattern instructs, and if necessary, I switched to a smaller hook when I worked the ribbing (or started with a smaller hook if I was wanting a hat significantly smaller).   An easy hat with a ribbing that doesn't stretch as much as the others I did, but cute all the same.

~~~~


Then there was the Snowfall Slouchy.  I'm not sure how much mine will slouch, but I loved how these turned out.  The size can be adjusted by creating a larger or smaller ribbing, and when beginning the hat portion, just make sure that the starting number of stitches (the stitches that transition from the ribbing to the hat portion) is a multiple of 4. 

A note on how to get the correct starting number of stitches...   After connecting the ends of my ribbing by slip stitching them together (into the back loop only), I did a round of sc's around the top edge of the ribbing with the same yarn I made the ribbing with.   I strive to get the right multiple of stitches on this round by using increase or decrease sc stitches.  Then, if changing colors, I do so with the first round of dc's, and if I didn't hit the correct multiple on my sc round, I have a second chance to get that right on the dc round.

I should mention that I love how the designer made these ribbings - watch her instructions carefully as it's  little different from other crocheted ribbings I've made.  I love it  because it makes very nice edge.   This became my go-to pattern for creating a ribbing on the rest of the hats that were made from the bottom up.

~~~~



It was when making the Snowfall Slouchy hat, I discovered the Puppy Love Heart Slouchy - made by the same designer - Bethany Dearden.  This can be crocheted in any size - crochet sc's around the top of ribbing in multiples of 6 (I think).  I love how these turned out, but there is a lot of openness to this pattern, and I wasn't sure how warm and dry of a hat that would make, so I only made two of these before deciding to move on to a new pattern.

~~~~


I think my favorite pattern was the Stepping Textures Hat.  The written pattern and video tutorial demonstrate how to make one of these with chunky yarn, but these can be made with any size yarn as long as one starts with a base number that is a multiple of 5.  And, again, I made a ribbing like Bethany Dearden demonstrates in her tutorial  - as opposed to the slip stitch ribbing this pattern calls for. Note: the slip stitch ribbing is wonderfully stretchy, but it's tedious to make.  More tedious than I have patience for.

The pictures below may not show every single hat, and may even show a duplicate or two, but this is what my month of hats looks like:










~~~~

And I almost forgot -  After some disappointing attempts at making sturdy pom-poms, I searched for a way to make pom-poms that don't pull apart, and looky what someone came up with:


Try it!  It works pretty well!  All of the pom poms on the hats above are made using this technique.  So much for my fancy-schmancy Clover pom-pom makers!

~~~~

And that would be all she wrote, but I want to invite anyone who might be interested to join in a Last Dance CAL in the Our Happy CAL group on Ravlery.  We're just getting started, so you can get in on it from the beginning if you like!

I'm making a Last Dance in the Clouds blanket and here's the first square I made last night:


The CAL will run through the end of the year with weekly installments and links to video tutorials (I think), and even a prize each month for some lucky participants.   Come join the fun!

To see what other Yoppers are up to, visit our group on Ravelry.











19 comments:

  1. such sweet hats!!! they are all such lovely designs and colours!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. I enjoyed playing around with the colors as much as watching the patterns emerge as I crocheted.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful thing! I've made hats for the students at my school. I give them to our social worker who gives them out to families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great way to distribute hand-made hats. I'm hoping to soon hear about a hat collection, but one way or another, these hats are going to be heading out to search for heads that fit into them.

      Delete
  3. Good Grief.......you are one busy woman. Those hats are fantastic and will adorn some cute kids' heads. Now you are doing a CAL again? You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - Marsha. None of the hat patterns was difficult and they were easy carry-along projects. I'm a little surprised I got so many done, but I guess when we had that heat-wave in September and I felt like I was being unproductive was when I whipped up most of these. I loved making each one.

      Delete
  4. Those hats are all beautiful! You have been working hard and it shows. What a generous and giving heart you have. I want to do some charity handwork but right now it's all about Christmas so maybe after that....I just can't seem to squeeze it all in! LOL! Thank you for the pom-pom video...what a slick method! Your pom-poms looked great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam. Actually, these hats were so easy to make I don't feel like I worked hard at all. Now I need (or think I need) to make some labels giving some indication of the ages the hats will fit. They are all different sizes and I'm thinking a size guide might be helpful? I don't know. I've never done anything quite like this before.

      Delete
  5. Your hats are amazing! What a lovely array of colors and designs. And. The CAL looks fun, too. Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, you've been very busy, and all those hats look so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a hat goddess - what will be your next 17 items? hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. I'm thinking of maybe focusing on squares for a while. Wow, if I could get 17 squares done in a month's time, that would be amazing. I think squares would take more time than the hats, though. Definitely squares would require more concentration.

      Delete
  8. Well, I think that is a good number and every hat is lovely. Thanks for the link to the pompom video. I must watch it as I don't like the thought of my pompoms coming apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was really discouraged when I made my first pom pom and I could pull the little yarn strands right out. I found another method that involved weaving the yarn in and out of my fingers then locking the yarn together with stitches. It worked, but it was a lot of work, if you know what I mean...

      Delete
  9. Oh my! Look at them all? They are all gorgeous and I would struggle to pick my favourite.

    ReplyDelete