Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Making Space...

Life has started getting back to normal here and while I'm probably lacking in some needed motivation to continue downsizing, it needs to happen regardless - so  I'm restarting my Making Space posts.  Hopefully, with some regularity now.

Since I started these posts last November, 29 weeks have past, so I'm counting this as Week 30 in my personal Making Space challenge.  Truthfully, throughout the last several months I've been continually "making space" by moving my brother's things out of the house - either to relatives who've wanted items, or selling and donating items.  I just haven't been recording that activity here - perhaps for obvious reasons.  

But now that I'm seeing my way clear to start clearing my own stuff again, I decided recently to remind myself of the container concept described by Dana White and apply it to my cross stitching magazines.   I updated the link above with a more current, and excellent video of Dana explaining the container concept.

A few years ago two large binders of vintage Just Cross Stitching magazines came into my possession. While I took the time then to look through all of the magazines, I was determined to only keep one binder full.  Today, I decided to free myself of some of the magazines I've been holding onto and let someone else possibly enjoy them.  

My plan is to put them on the free shelf at the library - maybe in batches

Now, never mind that I have kept maybe twice as many magazines as you see above, I have lightened my collection and am using the less full binder to also corral and organize printed out patterns I now have in plastic sheet protectors.  

In case you didn't watch the video linked to above, this is the container concept (my paraphrase):   You first decide what the container of any particular collection of stuff is, and then you only keep what will fit inside the container.  It's really a very simple concept that only requires will power to adhere to.  I'm going to start exercising those will power muscles again.

I think I'm moving into the master bedroom next.  Somehow, it's become a catch-all of things I didn't want to lose track of while we've been sorting through my brother's things, and now it's a mess again.  Or at least a few spots are a real mess. 

So...  I'm going to watch me some Dana White videos, and see if she can't inspire me to chip away at that area.  Hopefully, in a week I'll have more to show.

If you haven't clicked on Dana's video linked above, I'll make is simple for you:



Meanwhile if you're curious about my personal Making Space challenge, here is a link to a post I wrote when I started it last November.  I would love to have anyone join me (or rejoin me) who would like to.   I know a few of you have been keeping this up in some measure.  In that case, I just want to let you know I'm back, and I'm re-joining you!!!  😉


Making Space Week 30:  157 things outta here!




17 comments:

  1. So glad to see you back at it. I had to stop as thenareaa that need decluttering are not air conditioned and it is too darn hot. SonI am looking back on the rooms I have already done and still finding things that need to go. It is so freeing. Thank you for getting me started on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to get to that stage again- where it starts to feel freeing, and the desire to get rid of really take hold. I remember how amazing that felt. :)

      Delete
  2. I like watching Dana White as well. She has a calm, easy approach. That is a lot of magazines. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find her really entertaining. I enjoyed her book when I read it, but I only recently discovered her videos!

      Delete
  3. Good for you! I know it has been difficult with all the loss in your family and then having to deal with their belongings. I still have some of Jim's stuff that I just had to put aside for awhile....it can be exhausting both physically and emotionally. Just when I had things packed up, Covid hit and there were no doctor appointments which are 1 1/2 hours away and that is where the Good Will is and the Salvation Army. It all sits in bags in my basement but I am getting braver about going out and will start making appointments again so hopefully I van get rid of a lot more stuff! I am simply going room by room for now. No schedule other tnan trying to balance cleaning (I'm using FlyLady Zones) and gardening and organizing and of course...crafting! LOL! IT does keep me off the street and out of trouble but what happened to "the golden years"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off the street and out of trouble is my goal! :^) Sam, you have always inspired me in this area of getting rid of what isn't wanted (or needed) anymore. I need to clean as I go. I haven't done much upkeep for months now. That needs to seriously change.

      Delete
  4. I fell off the wagon on this challenge too - oh well, it's never too late...right? I have a pile of stuff ready for the thrift store once they open up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late! Well, not until... it's too late. But at that point it will all be someone else's problem. And imagining someone else just giving my stuff the old heave-ho, motivates me to get moving on this again. :)

      Delete
  5. Before my daughter Kati and her family came for a visit, I cleaned out a few spaces that were a bit out of control. It feels so good to do that! Now I need to keep up the momentum . . .

    I like the "container concept." Intriguing idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting my momentum back is where I'm at. It feels like a slog at the moment, but hopefully that turns around as I make progress. :)

      Delete
  6. I just watched the video you linked and OMG she of course is right. To a degree I have been working towards this without actually realising, but her example of the pens made me smile as I only recently trimmed pens down which had been in 3 mugs, a pencil pot, a full drawer and others dotted around the house. But there's more to work on as my husband still has 3 drawers of socks and these aren't small drawers. Good luck as your journey continues, this may be the motivation I need to get back into my own decluttering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After watching the video, I immediately dumped out the pencils, pens, markers, and scissors I keep in a small pottery pitcher on my "crafting" desk. I threw away a couple of pencils and two pens that don't write well, handed hubs two markers, a mechanical pencil that I would have thrown away but I thought he might want it, and two scissors got relocated. While it didn't make much difference in how my desk looks, it was a start in the right direction. I'm not highly motivated right now, but I need to move forward. So move I will and hopefully, I'll begin to see some real progress soon.

      Delete
    2. The video is still on my mind so I will try and implement some more changes this week

      Delete
  7. It must feel good to spring clean. I may have to do that one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel good to see space again. I just don't feel like I've stopped "going through stuff" for nearly a year now. My own stuff, my MIL's stuff, my own stuff, then my brother's stuff. Now, it's finally back to my own stuff again. ;^)

      Delete
  8. Just like you I have been decluttering and making space but just not blogging about it. Actually not blogging at all - I need to get back to doing that. Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you blogging! I hope it means you're having fun with your granddaughter!

      Delete