Sunday, May 23, 2021

Did I say I was getting rid of stuff?

This is kind of a funny post to make after declaring on Wednesday that I'm getting back to my "Making Space" challenge (i.e. getting rid of stuff).  And after writing last Sunday that I planned to take my 30 year-old sewing machine to the repair shop to see if I could get it fixed.  Well, I did make a trip to the sewing machine repair shop, but since I was already in the mind to start looking for a newer replacement for my old machine, I was an easy (and willing) target for a sparkly new sewing machine when I walked into the store.

So...  now I'm the owner of a new Janome Sewist 721.  Ain't she purty?

If you're so inclined, you can embiggen the pictures by clicking on them.

It's a fairly simple mechanical machine, but it has some extra stitches and it sews soooo smoothly. 

This week, my 30 year-old machine will be posted online - free to someone who'll come and get it.  I've had it apart and oiled it and gotten it to (sort of) work, but it needs for someone to remove more than just the top and bottom of the machine.  It looks like it will require removing multiple pieces of moving machinery so that the old dried-out grease can be cleaned out and replaced.  From, watching Youtube videos, I think for a person who's interested in doing all that, it might be worth it, but now that I've got a shiny new machine, I'm hard pressed to want to do that.  And truth be told, I'm as likely to break the old one as to fix it, so I'd rather let someone else have a shot at it.

Also this past week, I got some fun mail.  I don't recall where I heard of Cross Stitching Supplies just north of Indianapolis, but I'm so happy to have discovered them.  I ordered some cross stitch fabrics (in colors I hadn't been able to get at my regular online cross stitch resource), and a bunch of overdyed floss - since they offered a nice discount on the first order.


I can't  wait to dive in and start stitching something new.

Lindsey, the owner of Cross Stitching Supplies is a good communicator.  She even notified me that she was giving me a partial refund on one of the fabrics because it had a random dye spot on it (that didn't belong).  I thought that was very nice, but I imagined I might have to sacrifice half the piece of fabric (for what I wanted to use it for, anyway).  But when it arrived and I saw her hand-written note on the fabric, I looked it over and it was the tiniest spot that didn't appear at all on the opposite side, so the whole piece of fabric is totally useable!   

It's pretty handy that Lindsey is located on the north side of Indy while I'm on the southside, so my order got here lickety split.  I will definitely be checking first with Cross Stitching Supplies when I want to place an order in the future. 

~~~~~

And on the crafting end of things, I managed to finish off more of the little stitches I posted about a few weeks ago - some of which have been waiting years (okay... decades - lol) for this day...




They aren't perfect, and I'm still learning some things about finishing small cross stitch projects into mini-pillows, but I'm so glad to have FFO's rather than the small bits of projects these were before. 

And that, dear reader, is all she wrote!





30 comments:

  1. Your new machine is awesome. So happy for you. You did well on finishing those cross stitch items. It must feel good to have some items completed and ready for being part of your decor. Lovely treasure you received this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becki, the finishes look perfect to me. I am so impressed with your finishes. A new sewing machine too. I know you will enjoy it. I am going to have to check out your new online ordering place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mention, but Cross Stitch Supplies takes great photos. I think everything I got was pretty accurately depicted on their website. I can't say that about the other place I've ordered from.

      Delete
  3. Ooh yay a new shiny machine! Do you have a special project planned for its first?
    I love how you've used the little bits of cross stitch to make finished objects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the first projects (after playing with it a bit) were these little pillows. ;^) Thank you for liking my little projects. :) It feels good to rescue them from the storage they've been in for way too long now.

      Delete
  4. I like how you finished off your strawberry cross stitch piece. Will you wind up those skeins of embroidery floss?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stef. No, I don't picture myself winding up the floss. I don't have a huge amount of overdyed flosses, but I just keep them on a ring, in a box, sorted roughly by their colors.

      Delete
  5. I am SOOOOOOO jealous right now! I'm still grieving my Janome that hit the floor and got bent beyond recall (through, I might add, no fault of mine!). I like my new Brother but it doesn't do what my old workhorse Janome could. If you get the years of service I got from mine you will be very happy I know. Love your little stitcheries and probably you have influenced my current project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On no! How tragic that must have felt when your Janome hit the floor. I hope my new machine lasts a very long time.

      Delete
  6. Oh have fun with your new toy. I look forward to seeing all you make with it. Your cross stitches are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great to have so many FOs this week. That's exciting you have a new machine so I will look forward to seeing what you create on it. Will you be making clothes, patchwork, a bit of everything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I inherited a bunch of cotton fabric (from MIL) I have an idea that I'd like to try my hand at some small quilting projects. But mostly I imagine it will just be used for whatever needs sewing. I don't know how people manage without a sewing machine.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on the new Janome. I hope someone who really enjoys setting things to rights snags the former machine. You have been doing lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a Janome (the pediatric cancer model) with just the basics but it sews like a dream. The nicest machine I ever had except my Bernina retirement machine that got "lost" in moving. I had never even sewed with it! I still get upset thinking about it but the Janome seems to fit my needs so I'm good.
    Thank you for the cross stitch store! I love the fabric they have! Yes, and the 20% off your first order too! I'll be using them for sure!
    Your "smalls" are so precious and you did a beautiful job finishing them. Were those kits or a pattern. They look like Prairie Schooler which I love. I can't wait to see what's next on your crafting schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how sad about your Bernina. I was torn between a Bernette b33 (which is a Bernina) and this one that I got. Size won out. The Bernette b33 (which is a very basic, beginner machine) just struck me as too small for me.

      The only projects that came in a kit were the little snowflake ornaments - and there were other patterns in the kit, too, that I made way back when. The cross stitched patterns came out of magazines. The only one I know for sure where I found it is the Chicken in a Basket. That and the animal ones I posted last week are Prairie Schooler patterns that I found in old Just Cross Stitching magazine(s). :)

      Delete
  10. I have a Janome too, and I LOVE IT!!!
    I really love the cream-on-cream snowflake pillows! They are so understated and traditionally modern. They will look great with your winter/Christmas collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen lots of good reviews on Janome in general. I need a pretty simple machine, but the machine simpler than this was a bit small. So these snowflake ornaments look modern (in a traditional way)? I imagine I stitched them up 35 or more years ago. I have some others (a dove and I think a bell) that I finished and hung on our tree for years. I still have them, we just haven't put a tree up in about 5 years.

      Delete
  11. I must admit I am a little jealous of your new purchase. I have 3 vintage sewing machines, and the one I use all the time isn't very fancy, although it does have a zigzag option so there is that. My husband always says - something new comes into the house then something has to go out!. (He doesn't follow his own advice - just sayin'!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. In this case, I brought something new in and two things need to leave - my old sewing machine and the cabinet it fits in. It's not a terribly nice cabinet, so that is no great loss, but I will miss having a cabinet (or rather the larger flat sewing surface a cabinet provides).

      Delete
  12. OH that is quite PURTY!! How fun! I've heard lots of great things about Janome - I'm sure you're going to love it! I am enjoying my mechanical Pfaff that I picked up for a 'song' on Facebook Marketplace a while back. Your cross-stitching is amazing!! I haven't done that in YEARS and I fear that now I'd need something like "10" count or bigger to be able to see it haha! I have ornaments I made when I was first married on 22 count and I can hardly believe my eyes were once young enough to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you posted about your Pfaff, Lauren! Not sure if I left a comment on that post, but I was impressed at the difference a cleaning made. I do think my old singer could still serve someone well if they aren't afraid to take some pieces of it apart and really clean things. I'm not afraid to take it apart, but it's the putting it back together that gives me pause... lol

      Delete
  13. Sometimes getting rid of stuff is the right thing to do . . . and sometimes it is NOT! Congrats on the purchase of your new machine! May you enjoy many happy, creative moments together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know it... I struggle sometimes to decide when it's right to get rid of and move on, or stick with something.

      Delete
  14. Love the new machine and the pillows are delightful.

    ReplyDelete