Sunday, May 30, 2021

You've been a good month, May...

As life resumes normalcy - more things opening up, group activities getting scheduled, and with warmer weather bringing more outside things to do, at the same time, for me personally, life has slowed down a bit (and it is welcomed).  With all of that, I'm finding myself getting to the end of a week and wondering what I did with all those days!  It's funny...  that was what would happen during the slower days of severe COVID restrictions too, so perhaps it's more the nature of life than it is due to specific circumstances (for me, anyway).

I think that's one of the reasons I like these weekly YOP posts.  Even if I have little to show, I almost always can come up with something that makes me go, "Oh yeah!  I did that." 

Today, taking stock, I'm reminded that I worked on the blue and white ripple blanket (never mind that working on it involved ripping out as much as I crocheted this week).  I've also decided I'm making it a birthday gift later in the year so I'm hereby releasing myself of any feelings of "oughtness" about thinking I can't crochet other things while this big project looms.  I'm hereby declaring it non-looming in my life.  😉

lotsa ends!


I decided to start another Little Sheep Virtues cross stitch:  

I think I'll have this one done by next week, so I'm just going to reveal which one it is at that time.  If you know, don't tell.  😉


And since it's the last Sunday of the month, I took stock of my dishcloth knitting and counted 14 dishcloths all finished, awaiting their final destination (whatever that ends up being):


~~~~~

And while this isn't crafty, I did finally pull out the Kitchen Aid stand mixer I inherited from my MIL, and a nice dough hook I bought as a Christmas present to myself,  and FINALLY made some rolls:


  After a second rise, ready to go into the oven:



Now...  truth be told, I made a big mistake and accidentally turned the oven off after placing these in the oven so they didn't turn out nearly as amazing as they should have.  But aside from the time required for the dough and then the rolls to rise, making them was actually a piece of cake!  So to speak.

Not to let 2 hours of rising time go to waste, I reheated the oven, put the rolls back in to bake until I guessed that they were done inside.  I had no idea how they'd be to eat, but with expectations low, I was pleasantly surprised to find they turned out to be like biscuits in texture.   Yummy, yeasty biscuits that were actually pretty good, if not as lofty as I had originally hoped.  Spread with honey butter, they even made a nice dessert later.



So...  in addition to everything else I did (or didn't do ) all last week, these things  make me smile.  

As did hanging bed linens out on the line to dry one day and smelling that outdoors scent as I drifted off to sleep that night.  And it made me smile to take donations to the thrift store, and make and freeze three meals worth of chili - which used up about a quarter of the tomatoes a friend invited me to pick from her garden last summer!   It made me smile to remember picking them, too.  😊

I'm curious... what small thing(s) made you smile recently?

3 1/2 year-old me - in 1962

Hubs has been busy 
transferring old slides 
to digital pictures  

😊

We've gotten lots of smiles out of those.


   





25 comments:

  1. Your 3.5 yr picture is precious. The blue and white ripple blanket is so pretty. I like the colors. Dishcloths!!!! I so need to make some more. My stash has gotten quite low. Thanks for the reminder. Nice looking cross stitch. But the rolls....my oh my.....they look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That blanket WILL get finished! I wonder if I release myself from feeling guilty about not working on it, if I'll actually start working on it more. lol

      Delete
  2. Wow those dish-clothes! That is definitely an accomplishment. I got to cook a meal for friends this weekend so that definitely made me smile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a month's worth of knitting dishcloths here and there. If I'd applied the same time to crocheting the blue and white ripple blanket, I have a feeling I'd have it finished by now. ;^) Cooking for friends is a great reason to smile.

      Delete
  3. Your picture is adorable!! Those rolls look terrific. I just love fresh bread with honey. Your blanket looks great and will be a treasure whenever it's completed. And yes, life is all about the "little joys".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to making bread dough again with the stand mixer. I hope they are as good as I'm anticipating. :)

      Delete
  4. Aw weren't you cute! those rolls look really yummy and you have been busy this month, seeing your cross stitch has just reminded me I haven't finished day 8 of my 12 days of Christmas Sampler, I wonder if I can get it done today. I love your dishcloths, so lovely and colourful. have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound so like me, I get thoughts or oughtness! I draft my blog over the week, otherwise I forget what I have done and would miss things. Hopeless. I look forward to seeing the finish XS next week, I don’t know this collection so it’ll be new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. If I understand what you're saying, you start a YOP blog post and add to it over the week and post it on Sunday?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have a template in Drafts and you can click Duplicate and I add the following week's number to the title and that's done on the Sunday morning I have just published the previous week. Then whenever I do something crafty I write it on the draft version and may start the other news section too. Then Saturday evening I tidy it up and schedule it to publish 7am on Sunday. Before it would all be written on a Saturday whilst watching TV and trying to think what I did and asking my husband if he knew, to which I'd get a funny look. So it's much easier now, especially if I have had a busy week.

      Delete
  6. The picture of you is so sweet! What a cutie you were and still are! You certainly ran circles around me this week. Look at all you accomplished! I have a kitchen aide and it is old but I still love it! So glad you took the "deadline" off of yourself for that blanket. Your cross stitch is gorgeous as usual. I love the sheep virtues. Look at all those wash cloths! The rolls look yummy especially with honey butter....yum! Enjoy your coming week and do what makes you happy! Hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you sure know how to make me smile, Sam. I've been tickled to see so many slides preserved so well over the years. And I didn't even take good care of them - keeping them in the garage where there was no climate control - for over 20 years! I'm feeling fortunate to have them right now.

      Delete
  7. Well aren't you just the cutest!!! You have been quite the homemaker lately. The rolls look quite yummy. I am not much on cooking, but I love to bake. Baking is pure pleasure to me; of course, if I did it as much as I wanted I would be as big as the side of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house, at the moment, would be the evidence that homemaking hasn't yet made it to the top of my list, but having some space in my brain to think about doing some things that feel nourishing is a welcomed thing in my life at this point. To realize that 6 months ago I was so deep in grief that cooking felt too "normal" to give myself to it, it feels almost remarkable that I'm now enjoying baking bread and putting up soup for "tomorrow". While I can be taken pretty quickly to painful places with nothing more than a photo or a word, I am thankful that those times are moments sprinkled amongst my days now rather than the dark pits that hours (sometimes days) could diasappear into just a few months ago... God is good. And this life is a gift.

      Delete
  8. Well aren't you the cutest 3 1/2 year old! It sounds like a great week and I love the non-looming attitude. What makes me smile? Lately it has been the irises that are blooming in my neighbourhood - purple ones, white ones, yellow ones. I love irises! Those buns look very yummy and yay that they worked out despite the oven boo boo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irises! Where we lived before this house, a previous owner had planted irises and they were so beautiful. And I did nothing to or for them - other than maybe water them from time to time. I wonder if they are still there blooming?

      Delete
  9. Your baby picture is adorable and the bread rolls look delicious. And your pile of dish cloths look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baking bread is one of my favorite bits of "magic"! Its easier than you would think, and makes you feel like you can take on the world!!
    Things that make me smile: A little bee was on my porch the other day when it was cold. I fed it some sugar water and gave it a couple leaves to give if cover over night. In the morning, the bee had climbed onto one of the leaves and it looked like the corner of the leaf curled over the bee like a little blanket. By the time I got home 2 hours later, the sun was warm and shining and my little bee friend seems to have warmed up enough to fly away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS like magic. The simplest of ingredients make them most delicious edible. Last summer I conquered rice. lol Again, it's so simple, but it took trying out several methods to find what works! What a cute story of the bee. That made me smile, too. :)

      Delete
  11. 3 1/2 year old you was pretty cute!! 'Course that hasn't changed...
    I like the blue & white afghan - a favourite colour combo for me. I wonder, regarding the fact that life has slowed throughout the pandemic for many of us, if it will go back to pre-virus activity levels or will we retain at least some of the 'slowness'. I'd like to think I will stay slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a slower pace to life, and I don't see that changing greatly. But the ability and willingness to do some things that for a while just weren't happening is feeling good.

      Delete
  12. 1962 is adorable photo of you.
    Warmer weather here, it is nice to have different projects to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look at you as a toddler. ❤️❤️ the pic.

    ReplyDelete