Thursday, August 25, 2022

An unexpected simple pleasure...

Restrooms and Walmarts (especially restrooms in Walmarts) aren't natural blog fodder for me, but this moment was a perfect example of capturing "everyday aesthetics" where it could have easily gone relatively unnoticed.  

Walking into the restroom at a local Walmart recently, I didn't expect to be greeted with sweet smells and pretty, fresh flowers.

  
In fact, I'm sure I would have forgotten all about it had I not told myself as I was leaving to turn around and snap a picture.

As I went to get a cart, I stopped and told the greeter how surprising and nice the flowers in the restroom were, and she smiled like the whole thing was her idea, though she said she'd relay the message to management.  Whosever idea it was deserves to know it was a lovely thing.

It was all so unexpected, it honestly had me smiling for the duration of my shopping trip.

~~~~~

Edited to add...  I dropped into this Walmart again recently, and decided to visit the restroom for the sole purpose of finding out if the flowers above were intentional or just a happy, maybe even accidental bit of serendipity.

Turns out it's intentional:


Yay, Walmart!

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The more I've thought about it, I wonder why they were there? I don't think there's even a floral section in Walmart, so where did they come from? And really... it probably isn't safe to have a glass vase with water and flowers in such a public restroom. Then I wondered if someone put them down and forgot about them. It's almost funny to imagine how and why they were there.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They are. And I didn't even realize until I posted the picture that I had gotten their reflection in the mirror. It's a twofer!

      Delete
  3. What a nice and thoughtful idea! I love it when I spy touches like that. I would have been smiling the rest of the shopping trip as well. So glad you were able to tell someone you appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got to wondering (after I wrote this post) if someone might have put them down when stopping in the ladies' room and forgot to take them with her. In which case, I imagine management rushed to get them out of there before someone toppled the whole thing over and they had a mess of broken glass to clean up. Hard telling. Though... the men's restroom was being cleaned next door, so I assume the person cleaning saw them. Or maybe put them there... :)

      Delete
  4. Sometimes it's those little touches that end up brightening a day for someone. In this case so much nicer than a bare-bones sterile-looking bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As is, the restroom looked pretty nice and clean. The flowers, oddly fit right in.

      Delete
  5. That is the last thing I would expect to see in a Walmart restroom. It is indeed a special and beautiful surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a wonderful idea!!! And they are beautiful. I am sure the woman was so happy you mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seemed like a happy lady. A very welcoming welcome person.

      Delete
  7. Clean.... and flowers!! That is such a beautiful image! You never know where you'll find beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being in such an unexpected place made them even more beautiful, I think.

      Delete
  8. As I started reading, I was wondering if you expressed your appreciation to anyone in the store. I only had to read on to see, of course you did! What a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I walked into the store I asked her where the restroom was, so she was a natural to say something to as I headed back that way to get a cart. It did make it more fun to say something to someone than if I had kept it to myself. Well... and my readers...

      Delete
  9. Hi Sister, I just serendipitously clicked on this post and I love it! Of course, I love most everything that you write. But I wonder how many Walmart restrooms have live flowers. It is possible that you encountered the only one. Imagine how many people are lit up by this discovery each day. I'm now curious if they are still doing it and if they also have them in the men's restroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... thank you, Sherri. I need to check our local Walmart sometime. I just don't shop there nearly as much since our little town got a Meijer and a Kroger super store years ago. This Walmart on the corner of Emerson & County Line Road does still do this. All our medical stuff is near there and I think it was two weeks ago I was in the area and stopped in. There were flowers! Maybe I should start dropping in other Walmarts just to see. If they all do, I could start a collection of Walmart restroom flower pictures. :D

      Delete