Sunday, May 29, 2016

Small things...

I couldn't manage to finish Part 10 of my Mandala Madness this week, but hopefully next week I'll get this challenging round completed.  It appears to be a doozy!

With the knowledge that I wouldn't be able to post a progress picture of the Mandala Madness I set to work finishing a project for the Weekly & Washcloth CAL on Ravelry.   After looking at several tutorials on crocheting a simple wrap bracelet, I put this one together with some wooden and glass beads, some shell beads, and some fun dangles that were retrieved from no longer worn jewelry.


The anchor charm is new, but it works really well as a clasp hooked onto the old oval-shaped reclaimed jewelry part.  This isn't how I anticipated holding the bracelet together, but I like it!



And while I had my beads out I decided to finally make me some stitch markers.    I thought I had more earring parts, but with just two of the ones pictured below I could only put together two mushroom stitch markers.   I really need to get more earring wires at the earliest opportunity, 'cuz these mushroom stitch markers are begging for some buddies to hang with.



With plenty of lobster claw clasps, I was able to put together some other sets.  I think these funky beads make cute stitch markers:



And these mis-matched "jewels" make a fun eclectic set below, I think.  I don't know why, but they remind me of a tea table set with a varied assortment of china.  Is that weird?  I actually like that they're not matchy-matchy.


I'm probably way too enamored with my own handiwork, but I'm so very excited to finally have some cute stitch markers.  I have some plastic non-closing ones that are useful at times, but when I've needed something that closes I've resorted to paper clips or safety pins, or pulling an earring out of an ear to use in a pinch, even.  Don't laugh!  Okay...go ahead and laugh.  It's not that I don't value being enterprising and using what is readily available, but there's something to be said for using attractive tools.

And with these pretties at my disposal I will happily get back to work on my Mandala Madness and other projects.  To see what other Yoppers are up to, visit our thread this week on Ravelry.

12 comments:

  1. I want your bracelet!! :) And your stitch markers are adorable . Ive made a few of my own. Lots of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bracelet and I agree, I usually use plastic stitch markers, but it's making me really happy to use nice ones at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bracelet is great and so perfect for summer. Love the stitch markers! Beautiful tools for fun projects. The jewel ones are my favorite. Ok, I can't really pick an absolute favorite because they are all nice. I'll have to remember the earring trick, very clever. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The earring trick is handy, but I've lost more than one earring doing this. :( Glad I don't have to resort to such risky measures now. ;)

      Delete
  4. Your bracelet is fabulous. Shzt a clever way to use up thinks laying around. Your stitch markers are adorable. I love the lever back earring findings for stitch markers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think I prefer the lever backs to the lobster claws now that I've made these. I just didn't know until I made them and gave them all a try. But they all work and that's what really matters. :)

      Delete
  5. You are very talented! The bracelet is gorgeous and I love all of your stitch markers but especially the little mushrooms! What's the difference between a stitch marker and a progress keeper? I know what they do but are they different in their makeup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I can tell there is no difference between what a crocheter uses as a stitch marker and what a knitter (or crocheter) uses as a progress keeper. Same tool, different purposes.

      While I don't know if knitters ever use stitch markers (pictured above) in the same way as crocheters do (i.e. clipped onto a stitch and later removed), but typically when I think of knitting stitch markers I envision closed circles that fit on the knitting needles and are slipped on and off as the person is knitting. So while my answer as a crocheter is that there is no difference, you can imagine that a knitter would respond that they are most definitely two different things (made differently and used differently).

      Delete
  6. Love the bracelet! Absolutely perfect for summer, white cotton dresses and bare feet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love the bracelet: it would be fun in different colours of hemp with all sorts of funky beads. I love the stitch markers too: what a great way to use of those odd, but beautiful beads.
    Happy Days!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete