Thursday, February 9, 2023

Chili and cornbread...

Dinner out with friends last night was a nice break from our "routine" - such as it is.   Today it was back in the kitchen to make Chili and Cornbread.
   
It's the first time I've baked cornbread in a cast iron skillet, and wow!  It bakes nicely, and clean-up was a breeze.   


Since eggs have been so expensive, I've been experimenting with egg substitutes and I have found success in a couple of baked items lately using 1 tsp of baking soda mixed with 1 Tablespoon of distilled white vinegar (substituted for one egg).  I cut the salt out of the cornbread recipe because I was afraid of this being too salty, and it worked out fine.

Actually, Hub said it was the best cornbread I've made.  I confess, I normally make cornbread from a box mix and it's hit or miss as to how well that holds together, so I'd better cut the recipe off the bag of the Pearl Milling Company yellow cornmeal I presently have in the pantry and save it for future reference.  Though I suppose I should record that I used buttermilk instead of milk (because I had some that needed to be used) and added some plain Greek yogurt (maybe 1/4 cup, I didn't measure).  Hmmm...  I wonder if it would have tasted as good without those things.  I'll probably find out some day.  I almost never have buttermilk hanging around for one thing, and I don't know that I would have thought of the yogurt if I hadn't been looking at another recipe that called for that.

Chili was made using a Taste of Home seasoning mix recipe I clipped from their magazine many years ago.  Here's a link in case you're interested.  In spite of it being called Spicy Chili Seasoning Mix, the chili is only as spicy as you make it - depending on how much seasoning you mix in. 


The chili used up three quart jars of tomatoes I canned last summer, 2 gallon size bags of frozen tomatoes, and several cuts of beef that I was glad to use from the freezer.    Edited  the next day to note:  I made so much chili we made two meals of it and had enough to share a couple servings each with one son and one single friend, and still freeze four servings for eating later.  While I way over-made it this time, it always feels good to share.


I have it as a goal to not do any grocery shopping during February.  Well... except for maybe milk, eggs or fresh produce.  I think everything else I either have plenty of, or we can do without for a few more weeks.

~~~~~~


14 comments:

  1. I love baking with my cast iron pans. Your cornbread makes me want some right away. It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, you are one of the bloggers I was thinking of when I made this. :)

      Delete
  2. It looks very impressive and I bet it was yummy too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chili has inspired me to make some. I also like to make corn bread. When I have the batter in the baking dish, I grate about a cup of sharp cheddar over the top. Actually I probably grate more than that-but it's soooo good! I have to get a cast iron pan....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cornbread is mostly pretty forgiving I think. Rather wish we had a cast iron skillet but we're afraid one of us (probably me!) would drop it on our glass top stove with disastrous results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, I understand that, Mary Anne. We had a glass top stove before moving here. With our move we inherited an old gas stove that I'll keep 'till it dies. I feel confident canning on it, and I just bought my first cast iron skillet sometime this past year finally confident I wouldn't damage my stove top with it.

      Delete
  5. That chili looks very hearty and sooo good! And your cornbread. I made more of that myself this week. It's winter -- even here in Florida, and that calls for cornbread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that, Barbara. Did you see my comment? You may notice I didn't succumb to buying that very cool wedge cast iron skillet. It was sooo tempting though. ;^)

      Delete
  6. Ohhhh...that looks delicious! I love cornbread baked in a skillet. Perfect meal for February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is how I'll make cornbread from now on, Vee.

      Delete
  7. Looks delicious Becki! I do no think I have ever had cast iron cornbread before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evidently it's pretty common, TB, though I hadn't tried it before. I'm pretty new to using a cast iron skillet. but the more I use it, the more I like it. I just wish it (even this smallish one) wasn't so heavy.

      Delete