Thursday, February 23, 2023

O-dark-thirty...

I was awakened this morning by the sound of silence.  

Forgive me, Mr. Simon.  I'm not plagiarizing.  I really did think of it myself this morning.  Before I remembered that you penned the phrase.

For years we have slept with the white noise of a fan in the bedroom.  I have a terrible time sleeping without it. I don't remember when we started the practice, but at this point it helps to mask the tinnitus I've had for more than a decade now. 

At 4:00 a.m. I suddenly woke up.  To silence.  Except for the low level screechy locust-y sound that is my constant companion when there's nothing loud enough to cover it.

In the silence, I instantly knew that the power had gone out.  I rolled over and tried to go back to sleep, but after a while I gave up.  Middle son spent the night here (as he does sometimes when he commutes from his northern home down to Indy for his once-a-week in-person work day).  And I knew he would be surprised to wake up a few hours later to darkness he couldn't banish with the flick of a switch.  Not that he couldn't figure that out well enough, but when he found out we didn't have running water, I wanted him to know where to find stored water I've collected for just this occasion.  Having a well is great when we consider we don't receive a monthly water bill, but today, for the first time since moving here, we experienced the downside.  Without a battery back-up to the well pump, we have no source of running water 'till the electricity is restored.

So in addition to finding it hard to sleep to the sound of silence, I didn't want to leave my son stranded in the morning not knowing we had a back-up plan to having no running water, nevermind that the plan is only slightly better than the plumbing possibly his great, likely his great great, and most surely his great great great grandparents had in their childhoods, and possibly into adulthood.   At least he didn't have to go outside and pump his wash water into a bucket.  Or use an outhouse.

To pass the time I thought I'd check email on my phone.  At which point I was reminded my older phone has a tired battery that doesn't keep its charge for long.  Then I decided to try to sleep in a recliner, so I set my phone's alarm to hopefully wake me up a little earlier than I thought my son would.  

But I still couldn't sleep.  

Looking out the windows I could see stars like I'd not seen them in ages, and I realized it's the first time I've seen it this dark out here - just a few miles away from town because all the neighbors' security lights were snuffed out.  If it wasn't windy, a bit chilly, and a tad spooky, I might have gone out back and soaked in the last of the star display from the patio, but I decided to be content to take it in from the relative warmth of the inside. 

Finally, sometime between 5:30 and 6:00 (I think) it started being early morning, instead of middle of the night.  Our house faces pretty directly west, and the den windows at the back of the house face east.  I stood at the den windows for a while looking out at the still eerily dark back yard and I noticed an occasional light off in the distance flick right and then left.  After focusing on it a bit I realized I was seeing the headlights of vehicles traveling northerly and southerly on the state highway.  Looking at a map, I can see the distance I was viewing from (as the crow flies) is about 2 - 2 1/2 miles.  And I could only see these streaks of light in the breaks between the trees, and only because there were no leaves on any trees.   I'm not sure what time I started noticing them, but I know by around 6:30 while there were surely even more cars traveling on the highway, the sky had started to lighten just a bit on the horizon to the point I couldn't see the streaks of the car headlights anymore. 

It wasn't anywhere close to sunrise when the eastern sky started changing from a solid dark color (was it blue? was it black? I don't remember) to a light gray on the horizon.  A good half hour before I could see the first glow of the sun, I could see the day dawning.  At 6:45 I heard the sound of the school bus that makes a stop at the corner by our house.  Having nothing better to do (and feeling a bit Mrs. Kravitz-ish), I went to the front door to watch.  I could only see one car from this angle, and one little boy - 1st, 2nd grade, maybe 3rd  grade age left the warmth of his parent's car and with his backpack about a third as big as himself wave at the bus driver as he waited for the bus to stop.  Then he ran across to the other side to get on the bus.  While I don't catch this sight often, it isn't the first time.  And it isn't the first time I've had the thought that o-dark-thirty seems awfully early for little ones to have to skip onto a bus and start their journey to school.    

Ah well...  as each minute passed, the sky brightening more, before I knew it the gray dawn had given way to an amber-colored sun rise.  And once again I was witness to a glorious new morning from what still feels a bit like our "new" home.  Birds were chirping like it's spring (because, as far as they're concerned it probably is) and somehow after seeing the sunrise, I forgot how few hours I actually slept last night.



Son woke up, took not having running water in stride, and got himself cleaned up and ready to leave for work.  I wish I could go with the flow so easily.  

And by 11:00 a.m. the power suddenly came back on.  Only seven hours later.  A power outage in February is one more reason we've been thankful for this unseasonably warm winter we're having.  It was 66 degrees today!

And March happens next week already!   

~~~~~

18 comments:

  1. An early...very...awakening well described. Hope that you can catch up on missed sleep. 💤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vee. I slept pretty well the next night! :)

      Delete
  2. Your morning was such a lovely read. Felt as if I was there with you. I love waking up that early and watching the world around me come to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marsha. You know... when I naturally wake up before sunrise I do usually find it a very special time. When I HAVE to get up when it's still dark - not so much.

      Delete
  3. Really lovely write up thank you. Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a lovely gentle read, your slow intro to the day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I have to have white noise in the bedroom (and the living room where I often end up 'sleeping') but we have the added 'noise' of air purifiers running in both rooms. I'm often looking out the window in the middle of the night when I can't sleep. So glad your power came back on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I look out the windows in the middle of the night, I sometimes wonder if a neighbor is awake looking out their windows, too. ;D

      Delete
  6. Becki, it is surprising to me how silent things go in a power outage - we have become so used to the background noise of civilization that when it stops, it is a shock.

    Excellent description of a morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, TB! When I went online to report or check on the outage I saw it was reported by someone else just two minutes before I woke up at 4 am. Which convinced me it was the silence (or absence of the white noise) that woke me up. It's not the first time that's happened over the years. It is like a little shock, or startling.

      Delete
  7. A night to remember.

    Tinnitis since childhood, I thought the ringing is the sound of silence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I don't think I've thought of tinnitus as the sound of silence, you're right. It is. Silence is when it's most pronounced. I have found myself over the last decade or so turning the radio on as background noise whenever I'm doing something that doesn't require great concentration (like working in the kitchen). I used to enjoy complete silence, but since tinnitus has become my constant companion, complete silence is when the constant noise in my ears is most disturbing.

      Delete
  8. You described your night into morning so beautifully! Thank you for sharing. Have a cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully written. I also have tinnitus-since I was about 18. I'm so used to it now-but sometimes it's very loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, mine will sometimes get louder than normal,too, and sometimes it will turn shrill. Those moments are short-lived, thankfully, and I have no idea what brings it on like that. In those times I wonder how anyone could cope if that were their normal. I know some are driven nearly mad from tinnitus. I find it annoying, but it's become a such a background noise in my life I almost can't imagine what true silence would feel like. I'd love to know, but I doubt I ever will again.

      Delete