Wednesday, February 15, 2023

The heat wave continues...

Today it was sunny and warm, so mid afternoon I asked Hub if he wanted to do something.  Go somewhere.  He replied in the affirmative and we ended up checking out a local salvage store, that while we have donated stuff there, I had yet to venture into.


What a cool place.  I look forward to getting back there at some point to see how much and how often their inventory changes.  Today I  bought a milkglass luncheon plate to use as a paint palette.  I was looking for something white and almost bought a plain stoneware dinner plate, which would have probably been a bit more practical for mixing watercolors on, but when I held it next to this sweet plate:

well...  the choice was obvious.


Then we stopped in next door for some ice cream.  Fellow retired homeschoolers own and run a candy/ice cream shop in town.  It was at this point it finally occurred to me to try to take some pictures - you know... for my Daily Life Photo Challenge.


At 66 degrees, sitting in the sun, we were over-dressed with a light jacket and light sweater eating ice cream outside on the 15th of February.  Middle son's 31st birthday is today.  We'll hopefully celebrate together in a week and a half, but today we had ice cream in his honor.
  
We could have used some umbrellas for shade today.


Then before heading home, Hub drove us past a local yarn store (that I also hadn't been into, though it opened last September).  It's owned by a lady from our church and we enjoyed a good chat.  While sock knitting is on hold, I have not given up on the idea, so I bought some sock yarn and had it wound up.  



A pretty blue (a little darker than the picture) 
with purple fibers throughout. 

Tomorrow is forecasted to be stormy, and temps will drop into the 30's for Friday.  But then it looks like we'll go back to above normal temps for the next couple of weeks.  While I hope none of the new growth I'm seeing outside gets nipped by frost over the upcoming weeks, I'll not complain about days as beautiful as today.  If we can have an early and long spring I'll be super happy.

~~~~~


11 comments:

  1. I like your expedition! My speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice leisurely, spontaneous expedition. Just right for us, too.

      Delete
  2. An early spring would be marvelous. Bet your middle son was pleased with your ice cream in his honor. ☺️ What a great day you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We talked with him tonight. I don't think he minded that we celebrated without him. He and his girlfriend went out for supper then got ice cream at a Cold Stone Creamery. He's three hours north where it was about 15 degrees cooler. He was amazed, too, that we could sit outside in February eating ice cream.

      Delete
  3. I'm on board for an early spring but don't want to get too excited too soon. The ice cream looks so good and reminded me that we didn't get our traditional 'whopper' cone last summer. We usually indulge in one every year but we missed it. Hmmm....does that mean we can have TWO this year??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what a "whopper" cone looks like, but YES, of course you can have TWO this year. I give you permission. I couldn't finish the ice cream I had. I don't know what I was thinking...

      Delete
    2. Whopper - huge, gigantic, large, oversized - and not a calorie in sight!!!!

      Delete
  4. We have been unseasonably warm with spates of Winter as well. I have no idea what this year promises to be. My hope is not too early of a Spring - we still need the rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, TB. Every area has its own issues, I guess, with this oddly warm winter weather. We're getting a lot of rain here. Have most of the winter. The ground here tends to get water logged in the spring, then dries out to nearly cement in the summer.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a glorious and spontaneous outing. It was 57 here yesterday with some wind. I wore a shirt, an undershirt, a sweater and even in the sun was chilled. This has been one of our longest 'winters' I can remember. Not complaining though. In a few months we will be melting from heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Marsh. Seeing the pretty flowers you've taken pictures of, I've imagined it's already hot where you are (when I say hot I mean above 75 - lol). I have the sense that our winter has gone quickly because it's been so mild, but as February stretches on and changes from spring back to winter again it does start to weary a person and when we're back to cold days (which is completely normal for February) it starts to make me feel like it's been a long winter. It's funny how these things change one's perception - in just a matter of days. Or hours, depending on how quickly a weather change happens.

      Delete