Monday, February 13, 2023

No Knead Artisan Bread...

I was inspired by this Rain's Kitchen and Garden post to try out her recipe for Overnight No-Knead Bread.  Video tutorial here, and the written recipe here.

I prepared the dough Sunday evening, and baked it today.

A few things I did different:  I replaced a half cup of unbleached all-purpose flour with a half cup hard whole wheat flour.  And I baked my loaf in a stoneware casserole dish and used a parchment paper liner, rather than grease my baking dish.  

My stoneware baking dishes are some that Pampered Chef used to sell that my mother-in-law gave me many years ago.  While stoneware is very heavy, I have found it great for baking round loaves of bread in.  But if I didn't have it, I'd definitely use a dish like Rain does.  Rain's round loaf rose higher, and it looks beautiful.

My crusty and delicious artisan bread fresh out of the oven:

Nevermind the burned places.  They add flavor.   


And my makeshift "dutch oven", if you will:


Cooking with unglazed stoneware results in permanent staining like this.  It's not pretty, but I wanted to show what I use in case it's helpful to anyone else.

And the inside:

Having seen Rain's baking dish, and looking at this picture, I'm suddenly thinking I might try baking a loaf with this large piece on the bottom. It would sure be easier to handle than the way I do it..

~~~~~


17 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous to me. How does it taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delicious! We ate a few slices warm with butter on them with our supper this evening.

      Delete
  2. Lovely 😍 looks delicious! I agree try the bowl at the bottom of your post! Remember parchment paper that you used!! I am hoping to bake bread again soon! I have a fruit and nut bread that actually easier than Rain's recipe as no timed rises needed but my bread is not as soft / fluffy but good and delicious for breakfast with a nice jar of jam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to have favorite recipes that are easy to make. :) Watching some similar videos, I'm wondering if I actually need to let this rise three times. Some people keep the dough on their counter and let it rise once, then after shaping and/or putting in a bread pan, let it rise a second time, then it's into the oven. For me, it's the kneading that is just too hard on my hands now.

      Delete
  3. Warm bread with butter...nothing is more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The staining of the stoneware adds character and I like it. As for the bread, I'm HUNGRY!!! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FWIW, I kept the best side to the camera. lol But yes... a stained stoneware baking dish (or pizza stone) is the evidence that these things actually gets used.

      Delete
  5. mmmmmm - that looks SOOO good!!! We used to have Pampered Chef cookie sheets and they stained too. I guess it's part of the process and shows that they're well used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, unglazed stoneware absorbs any oily or wet substance that comes in contact with it. And then it gets baked in. I have one pizza stones that has staining coming out the back side. It's like an oily build-up, but coming out of the back. Very weird.

      Delete
  6. Nothing better than home-baked bread! It tends to vanish quickly though! Warm, with butter, great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, home-baked bread doesn't last long. I think partly because it's hard to slice thinly, but mostly because it's just heavenly to eat. It also won't keep more than a couple days anyway, so it's all good. :)

      Delete
  7. Seems you are quite prolific these days, both on the blog and in the kitchen! The bread looks delicious! Oh my goodness, how much do I love bread??????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I challenged myself to post a daily picture representing daily life during the month of February. I haven't done it every day, but I've done better than I imagined. I was just thinking as I published this post that I should have just made the challenge, "February in the kitchen". It's kind of my natural habitat. ;^)

      Delete
  8. It looks amazing, I could just eat a slice of that right now. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becki, this is so cool I'm so happy to read your post and see your beautiful bread!!! I'm very envious of the stoneware, one thing I'm lacking is an array of bakeware. I'm always on the lookout for cast iron and stoneware too. Oh the stains...you should see my pizza stone lol! Thanks so much for posting this!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete