Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Redbud tree...

I've noticed that the redbud tree outside the den window has looked worse for wear all winter.  


For the longest time I thought all those raggedy things in the tree were dead leaves, but I hadn't even bothered to walk up to it until a week or so ago when I could clearly see they are seed pods. 


Hundreds and hundreds of seed pods. I didn't recall seeing these in the tree last winter, so I went looking for some photos I took then when I was snapping lots of pictures of birds on the bird feeders - pictures in which this redbud tree was in the background.  

I found this close up of some birds in the tree where there are clearly just a few seed pods hanging last winter:

Photo from January, 2022

So I'm remembering correctly that there weren't anything like the number of seed pods I'm seeing this year.  Makes me wonder why there's such a difference.  Now, I recall that this tree took a bit of a scorching on a couple of limbs when Hubs lit a too-large fire once in the firepit this past summer.  I wonder if this year's prolific seed pod production is due to some stress from that and the tree sensed that it needed to pull out all the stops in its attempt to reproduce itself.

Guess we'll have to go through several cycles to see what is normal for this tree.  

And I may need to keep the matches away from Hubs.  

As if that is possible.

10 comments:

  1. We had a redbud tree in our yard in Ohio. They are so pretty when the bloom and after, with their heart shaped leaves. Looks like your tree is very happy now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so looking forward to its light purply blooms. They came on in April last year. With our sustained warm late winter weather we've been having I'm kind of expecting an earlier bloom this year. I do love this tree.

      Delete
  2. You could be quite right that the excess seed pods are the tree's response to stress. Better remind your DH that if he wants to play with fire it had better be in a safer location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like he burns less in the firepit anymore and more in the garden now. ;^)

      Delete
  3. That's an interesting idea. There certainly are trees that germinate much better after fire. That's why they do controlled burns in the NJ Pine Barrens, both to eliminate dead foliage and spur on young tree germination. So maybe your red bud is answering an ancient urge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time will tell! I hope we live here long enough to see a lot more cycles.

      Delete
  4. Pinecone (every 2-3 years)and seed pod producing trees have cycles where seeds pods aren't produced every year. The not honey flowering locust, for example, every other year. Look up your tree type to know for sure.
    Drought conditions impact tree behaviors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember on our Magnolia tree at our old house, that some years the seed pods would appear very early and grow very large, and other years I hardly noticed them at all. I had forgotten about that until now.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm. I would guess that you are right -- the tree is making a valiant effort to survive. The photo with the red cardinal on the branches is really striking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. Photographing birds last year was a regular hobby. This year with our mild winter we haven't put out nearly the amount of seed. I am noticing a variety of woodpeckers in recent weeks. Not sure if they are around all year or not, but I've only just starting noticing them.

      Delete