Friday, February 17, 2023

Let's sharpen up why don't we...




Trying to cut a neat slit in bread baked earlier this week I realized my kitchen knives were in need of sharpening. 


So I pulled them all out (except for any serrated knives) and I did the deed.   My knife sharpener is an inexpensive, foldable little gadget, but it does make a difference. 

You can't tell they're sharper from the picture, but I'm going to be a happier cook for a while now.


I have this memory of watching my dad sharpen kitchen knives on an electric bench grinder and sander in the garage (a heavy duty thing screwed into the workbench).  It both amazed and terrified me as a kid.  

I'm curious...  How do others of you sharpen your knives?

9 comments:

  1. I have a posh electric grinder, a present long ago to Handsome Partner, which is now mine. But I postpone sharpening because I hate the noise. I need to do it soon, though, because my knives are blunt, not helpful to the cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't. I do have a sharpener somewhere. Good thing I have a new knife set, which I tend to use above the dull knives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't abide the sound of sharpening knives so I avoid it like the plague. Luckily, if Resident Chef does decide the knives need a spa treatment he does it when I'm not around. He uses the old fashioned pumice-y thing (don't know if it's pumic, but it looks like it).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old can opener had a sharpener in the back. I rarely use knives except for peeling. Vintage serrated steak knives work well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be totally in trouble without Hubby to do it for me. He has some kind of thing they slide through, but just the thought of doing it myself terrifies me which is not like me. I am pretty independent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an electric knife sharpener and am happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have several sharpeners. My favorite is just a little one that suctions to my counter top. It does straight and serrated blades. A dull knife is not allowed in our home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a have a little gadget you just pull the knife through it a few times to sharpen. I've tried other methods but I just don't seem to have the knack of doing it right so this is nice and easy and works for me. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't sharpen knives. I probably should, but I never think about it. Also, I still use an electric knife that I've had for umpteen years when I want things cut really nicely, like bread, and the Thanksgiving turkey.

    ReplyDelete