Tuesday, February 14, 2023

I'm pretty sure it's too soon for this...

Last week I noticed from the den window that the daily lilies were poking through the ground:


Today we're only half way through February!  Curious, I decided to walk around the yard and see what else might be bursting forth.

I found the stone crop was already growing:


And the bearded irises were putting out leaves:

With rain tonight and again on Thursday, and temps in the 50's until Thursday, when it's supposed to rain again with highs in the low 60's, I'm just hoping all these things survive 'till spring.

Edited to add a picture of daffodils also growing.  I loved seeing these flowering last spring.  Note to self:  plant more next fall.



At least the asparagus isn't popping up out of the ground.  I think I've read the soil temperature needs to be around 50 degrees before asparagus appears.   Last year that happened in early April.  Something tells me to expect it earlier this spring. 

~~~~~

7 comments:

  1. The weather is just plain 'off' it seems....just hope the plants that are starting don't get frosted and snowed on. It's been a dull winter here with very little sun but only a few days of very cold temps and not a lot of snow. Hopefully that stays the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my concern, Mary Anne. We typically have very good chances of snow and icy weather until March. While we've had snow in March, usually by mid-March it's the beginning of spring-like weather. Our frost free date is in April sometime. Christmas week aside (which was frighteningly cold) we've had the mildest winter (overall) that I can remember. While anymore I prefer cold weather, I'm finding myself kind of hoping the higher than normal temps continue now that plants are springing forth.

      Delete
  2. Those plants are showing here, far north of you. But the sedums do put up rosettes very early. My iris are up, some daffodils, too, though long from flowering yet. It's so good to detect these early signs, particularly after a dull grey winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I confess I'm confused and realize I don't know where you live, Liz (though I've thought it was NJ). Or maybe you don't know where I live. Indiana is divided pretty much in half by Hardiness Zones 5 & 6. In central Indiana we can bounce between the two. We're having an amazingly mild winter here and while I don't have a long-standing relationship with irises or stonecrop (sedum), I suspect it's probably a month early for these to be showing themselves like this already. OTOH, if this is normal for those plants and I just didn't notice them last year that is great. The hostas are not coming up, and I forgot we have some daffodils. I need to check tomorrow and see if they are doing anything.

      Delete
    2. The next day... turns out the daffodils are sprouting already! Picture added above. Pretty exciting stuff.

      Delete
  3. Way too early for green!
    I noticed a bit of green, but nothing from the planted bulbs. Forecast near 50°F today, that might change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoying the warmth while it lasts. A cool down this weekend, but the next 10 days are forecasted to be above normal again.

      Delete