Saturday, June 3, 2023

What no one wants to hear...

I've been weighing for weeks if I even want to write about what's been going on with me for the last month or so.  Part of me has wanted to keep it more or less quiet, but it's so significant it seems ridiculous to not share about it.

I'm more and more looking at this blog as a way to document some important things in life.  Sometimes just normal events, but also lessons learned, opportunities experienced, challenges faced.  

Well, a new challenge is being faced.  It started in March, actually, and there is much too much to put into one post, so consider this an introduction to a topic I may write more on as time passes.   And let me just say up front... I'm writing about this for me more than for you.  I won't be the least bit offended if you don't read along, though I do hope something I write can benefit someone else.  Even if it's just that someone appreciates reading another person's experience.  I have certainly benefitted from many women sharing  via blogs and youtube videos.  

So it's with all the above in mind that I've decided to share.

In late April I was finally diagnosed with breast cancer.  Pretty much every time I've had to tell someone this they gasp and look at me like I'm a china doll that might break - and then I can't say fast enough, "It's okay, it's been caught early, it's highly treatable".  And that's all true, but it has meant the world to me when friends and family have offered their gentle expressions of "I'm sorry" for what even a good cancer diagnosis means.   Even if they don't know exactly what it means.  

What I now know it means, at a minimum, is an exhausting, somewhat soul numbing and sometimes traumatizing series of tests and doctor's visits.  New information seems to lurk around every corner.  In the best case scenario, it may mean (relatively) minor surgery and taking medicine for many years.  That last thing is seriously hard for me to swallow (figuratively and literally) since I'm such a terrible medicine taker, and one of the things I've feared most in growing older is the possibility of finding myself in a terrible whackamole game of managing side effects of one medicine by taking another additional medicine.  This aspect of ongoing cancer treatment tests my spirit more than anything else - so far.   I've also learned through the process of refining a diagnosis, which includes searching to see if there is more cancer, plans can change and you adapt.  

But back to the plus side - in addition to having an early-caught cancer.  For this lady who has in the past avoided doctors like the plague, I have to say the medical staff at the cancer center I've found myself at are among the most amazing and kind people.  They show no judgement or criticism.  For the most part they are encouraging and good spirited during challenging procedures, and by and large the system seems to run with an efficiency I've never experienced before.  Even when there are hiccups, they have dealt calmly with them.

So after all the tests so far, I have what appears to be a very good diagnosis and prognosis, and I am so very thankful for it.   Though, while I've met with a whole team of doctors - each with their offerings of after surgery cancer treatment - I (and they) won't know for sure what treatments will be suggested until the final biopsy is completed about two weeks after my surgery.

Through the last month and a half I have processed so much information.  I have researched treatments I've been told about during meetings with the different doctors on "my team".  I've tried valiantly to analyze the risk/benefit ratio of each as I consider the potential (some frighteningly long term) side effects as well as benefits.  It's been a roller coaster ride for sure, but somehow I've managed to stay buckled in when I've wanted to crawl right out.  Even when two weeks ago a second, smaller tumor was found which changed my surgery options.   The change in surgery options meant what was originally proposed as after surgery treatment has been scrubbed until the final biopsy.  I've gleaned from friends and online articles and youtubers what I need to be prepared to recover from a bilateral mastectomy - the worst part appears to be post surgical drains.  I am dreading the drains.

I will, perhaps in some future posts, touch on some of the tests leading up to a diagnosis.  I had no idea what all was involved in diagnosing breast cancer and how long it could all take - even for early caught tumors.  I've heard from two friends how they were rushed into surgery within a week of their first tests that showed aggressive tumors.  While my drawn out testing has mentally exhausted me at times, I cannot imagine the whirlwind of emotions and energies that must go into a rapid diagnosis and quickly scheduled surgery.  As hard as this long drawn out diagnostic period has been, I guess I'm thankful for it because it has allowed me to research, ask questions, and just generally get ready!

It has been a welcome distraction during all of this that we've also been busy doing work outside while the weather was beautiful during April and most of May, and I have some pictures of our progress for a future post.  Now that we're having temps in the 90's we are so glad to have the hardest work behind us.  I've been enjoying harvesting and freezing and sharing strawberries this spring.  Something of a garden has been put in, and lots of flower seeds have been sown there and in planters.  Now we wait and see what the work produces.

And that's a wrap for today.  

Thank you for stopping by!   

Irises from our back yard, June 2022.


18 comments:

  1. Oh Becki, how I wish I could envelop you in a multitude of hugs and prayers. Please know that thoughts (and the aforementioned prayers) are with you and your medical team as you traverse a journey nobody signs up to undertake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest friend, Thank you for opening your heart. I will pray for peace in your mind and strength for your body. And for complete healing. Hugs and love. We are all with you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for trusting us with this latest chapter in your life. You sound as if you're handling it nobly, and dealing with it as it comes and unfolds. Please continue to let us in as you can, and consider this a judgment free supportive place. I'm wishing for the very best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing so we can pray! I was diagnosed 20 years ago at the age of 50, and I understand all that you learned which you hoped you'd never know or need to know! Continuing to pray for results, surgery, etc. Please keep us updated with as much as you feel comfortable sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, Becki, thank you for letting us know so we can pray. You will surely be added to my prayer list.

    If you should be interested in an encouraging Bible study during these challenging days, I highly recommend Finding God's Path Through Your Trials, by Elizabeth George. It is enormously helpful whatever the nature of one's trial. I've also been blessed by Off Script, the story of a pastor's cancer journey. The author is Cary Schmidt.

    Sending a hug from New Hampshire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have re-read this multiple times. I can not even imagine the turmoil going on inside of you. Know you have been added to my prayer list. Thank you for trusting us with the start of this journey. Even though we have never met face to face, I still consider you a friend. Please keep us informed as much as you wish to share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers, Becki
    You are brave, and have a good mind to weather this change to your life. Sharing is a good part of healing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tank you for opening your heart this way. I read this with mixed feelings. I am sorry that you have to go through this, and then I remember that I have what they said was 90% sure a cyst in my breast. I have to go for a follow-up mammogram in late fall. I want to believe that all is well, but do think about the possibility of things not being well. It is in God's hands, no, I am in God's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have already written your name on my prayer list. I am a praying girl. I read it last night, but I just had to let it all sink in before I could write. I am glad you shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you shared, Becki. I am sorry, simply because this is something that causes anxiety and stress, not only for you but also for your family. But I am also honored to become part of your prayer team. In the short time I've followed your blog, I can tell you are a person who has served and prayed for others. Now you get to be on the receiving end, and sometimes that is difficult. This blog friend in Tennessee is praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I decided to check up on some of the old YOP bloggers. WOW. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. While it is wonderful that the prognosis is good, I know the procedure will not be pleasant. I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so sorry to hear!! That's hard!! Lord have mercy! I am happy to read more about this. A (((hug))) and will pray for you right now 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your diagnosis and journey through more tests and more investigations. It has ministered to me. And I am so sorry you are going through this! Cancer is never an easy diagnosis. I will be praying for you - wisdom, strength, healing, and the joy to walk through today. I went back and read some of your ealier posts. Such beauty and strength you demonstrated as you were walking through the new information. I love that you are planting more flowers than originally planned. Enjoy the beauty and light they bring to your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know what to say. I wish I could hug you and cry with you. And then we could look at the flowers. I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is most unwelcome news and I'm so sorry you're having to go through this! Thank you for sharing with us what you feel comfortable in writing because, as you well know, we all learn from each other.

    Using your blog to journal about this experience is an excellent outlet for you, and as I said, your readers benefit from the reading. At least, that is what I have found in blogging through my first husband's death and much of what has come about since that time. So many people have encouraged me (you, included) and many have said it has helped them in some way.

    I pray this all comes to a good conclusion for you, even better than initially suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sharing health information that I'm still processing has been hard, but good in the end, as more people pray and also offer sometimes helpful advice and sometimes unwanted... I'll pray all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh, we were both getting the bad news at about the same time. I found out in mid-May. My surgery was June 15 - I am 6 days out from it at this writing. I am so very sorry you are going through this. You are in my thoughts. Hoping by the time you read this you will be improving bit by bit.

    ReplyDelete