Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Yarn Along...

Browsing the web and casually looking for like-minded folks who are pursuing creative endeavors (particularly yarny endeavors), I came upon Small Things' Yarn Along.  A bunch of talented yarn lovers link up to Ginny's weekly Yarn-Along and share what they're knitting or crocheting.   And what they are reading.  Terrific!  Two of my favorite things.

I'm currently crocheting an Arrowhead Striped Blanket And one of the books I'm reading is  From the Kitchen of Half Truth by Maria Goodin.


First the blanket:
I'm really liking how simple the pattern is, yet it produces a lovely arrow-shaped stitch (that, frankly, doesn't betray its simplicity). I used yarns from my stash (Vanna's Choice in the colors, Taupe and Linen, and Lion Brand's Heartland yarn in Grand Canyon).  I do like how these colors are working together - even though I can't manage to even edit a picture close to the true colors (it actually has some yellow tone to it).  Oddly, enough, that crochet hook is exactly that color of gold. 


A note on the yarn: I needed to buy some additional Heartland yarn and I found some at my local Walmart. It sells for 3.99/skein. At first glance that is a bargain compared to the 5.99 it sells for at Hobby Lobby (though when I bought it there, I'm sure I used a 40% off coupon). Well, once I started crocheting with the Walmart Heartland, it became apparent that the $5.99 skein and the $3.99 skein were not equal.

I haven't separated out the plied strands to see exactly where the difference happens (whether it's in the number of strands, or the thickness of each ply), but it is clear that the Walmart Heartland is, overall, thinner and maybe more splitty than the Hobby Lobby Heartland I had in my stash. It's not obvious in the finished project, but it is obvious in the crocheting and in the size of the skein after crocheting the same number of rows from the two different skeins. It's not enough to cause me to return the rest of the Walmart yarn, but I'll probably think twice before buying it again.  From here on out, I'll likely choose to purchase the $5.99 skeins when they go on sale or I have a coupon (which makes it a bargain), and skip the $3.99 skeins that only look like a bargain.

Back to the pattern:  While it's labeled an Intermediate pattern, I honestly think if a person can crochet double and triple crochet stitches, they can do this.  

The front of the blanket (see the fun arrows?)  I love the texture!



And on the back there's a sort of grid pattern.  Because these are behind the slanted triple crochet stitch, the effect is almost like a bobble.  Almost a bobble, but not quite.  I really like the back, too, for its textural effect.

Honestly, the only really difficult part of following this pattern is remembering which side of the blanket I'm working on. Not that that's particularly hard (as you can see, the front and the back look completely different from each other), but it's such no-brainer of a stitch (once I got it down) I sometimes forget which side I'm working on and it can be a row or two before I catch the mistake. Argh!  I don't know how many times I've caught an arrow on the back and had to rip out a row or more.  I started this blanket a week and a half ago, and I'm sure I'd have been nearly finished by now if I didn't keep doing that. Sigh. I must pay closer attention.  Or at least check each row carefully before proceeding to the next.

And the book?  I'm about 1/3 of the way through it, and to tell you the truth...I didn't think I was going to like this when I first started reading it.   It starts out with just a bunch of silliness that sounds like a child's make-believe story.  Not what I was looking for.  But it didn't take reading much beyond the first chapter before I was hooked.  And realized that the silliness and even feeling frustrated by it are important.  So don't let it put you off.  Meg goes home to help care for her dying mother (who, at times, seems more alive than anyone) and Meg's nonsensical past begins to take on a new charm.  And I'm beginning to believe all that nonsense at the beginning may all come clear before the story is fully told.   Honestly, when I sit myself down, it's hard to decide whether to read or crochet!  Again, I'm only part-way through the book, but so far I think I recommend it as an interesting read.

10 comments:

  1. I never would have thought a commercial yarn like Heartland would come in a high end/low end mark up. Crazy. Huh. Great blanket though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was very surprised, though it is consistent with information I've read that Walmart contracts with some companies to produce a product that may be less than their standard product, which, in turn, allows Walmart to sell it at a reduced price. I've come to expect it with some electronics, but this yarn experience has made me wonder just what I'm getting in anything I buy at Walmart. I'm not a Walmart-basher. Just sharing my experience and now my wondering...

      Delete
  2. Wow! I see Helen Keller! This is my favorite author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I love that quote - maybe now more than ever as life has assumed a simplicity I didn't anticipate at this stage.

      Delete
  3. I love the colors and stitches, great project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helena. I like the color that shows up in my pictures better than the color of the real thing. ;^) The yarn I'm using has a smidge of yellow tone (I added that to my post). I'm usually more drawn to gray (or cool) neutrals than warm tones, but this is turning out nicely. I think it might make a terrific gift for the right person.

      Delete
  4. lovely! nice to meet you this week via my blog! do stop by anytime! I love meeting other Christians in our blog world and of course love crafting too! God bless you and your family! ~ Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, thank you for stopping by, too. I want to say...I re-visited the Paschal post and realized that I was so taken by the pictures I missed the mention of the death of your husband's godson. I'm so sorry for your loss.

      Delete
  5. I love those arrows. I'm one who just recently learned how to do double and triple crochet stitches, so maybe I should try it. If I can do it, everybody can! An additional challenge is to work out a pattern in English.I like your golden crochet hook on the grayish yarns, great contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you try it and need any help. I do know that American and European stitches are different (e.g. an American double crochet is a European triple crochet, I believe. I don't know what Europeans call an American triple crochet. Since this is made with double and triple crochet stitches be sure to work that out before starting (if you give this a try). And feel free to ask. I could explain it for you. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete