Sunday, September 15, 2024

Doilies and hats...

Crocheting and knitting a little over the last couple of weeks, I made two more of "99 Little Doilies".

Crocheted in Artiste #10 thread in the color "Peach Ivory"

Tiny little doily #31 doesn't really inspire me at all, but it will be a fine addition to a collection of small doilies in a few different colorways that I hope to finish and display together some day - even if just on a table top.



Doily # 22, crocheted in Curio #10 thread in the color "Hawk"

It wasn't until I saw this dark gray doily in a picture that I saw what I imagine to be a round stained glass window without the stained glass.  So I named this "Lead Rosette".  So glad I decided to skip all the picots in this one.  They would have driven me crazy, and I like the edges on this so much better.

~~~~~

Another project has presented itself, and sounds enjoyable - as long as my neck doesn't go back into "stiff mode".   Last month we attended a volunteer dinner (as quests) where youngest son, Ben, attends a church that hosts a community  food distribution.  That night they announced they also plan to host a toy/hat/blanket giveaway in early December - and they were "calling all yarnies" to knit or crochet hats.  I placed a loose mental sticky note in my mind that I could knit some hats to donate, but honestly, it wasn't until Ben mentioned it a week or so ago (just on the chance I might be interested) that I got a bit more serious about it.

Knit and crocheted hats can be great easy projects - taking just a few hours each - some less.  At least that's how I remembered it...

Well, this weekend I started with knitting a simple Benefaction Hat, and decided I'd add some colorwork after watching a few YouTube videos to see how it's done.  I thought I'd do a "fade" pattern with several colors.


The "fade" is where things started getting a little challenging.  The concept of stranded knitting (especially on this level) is simple enough, but I need a lot of practice to get my stitches and tension more consistent in that part of the knitting.


To a non-knitter's eye, I'm not sure this looks all that bad, and some of the unevenness can be blocked out, but I don't think I have it in me to finish this.  And I'm not sure I like the colors I chose, so there's that, too.  I may hang onto it, and use it as practice later, but since the more immediate goal is to actually produce some hats (not improve my knitting), I'm moving on.

I looked back at my Ravelry project page, and I see the last hat I crocheted was in September of 2020.  The last hat I knit was almost a year before that.

Armed with that knowledge, I suddenly feel kind of rusty and am wondering if volunteering to make some hats was a good idea.

Ah well...   the evidence will present itself here over the next 4 weeks.  I've pulled out lots of colors of yarns from my stash, and I've given myself a goal of wrapping up hat making by mid-October.  Come October 13th, I will either be relieved to be done, or feeling very satisfied with what I accomplished - maybe both.  Either way, it does feel good to have a purposeful project to throw myself into.



 


19 comments:

  1. I am catching up so I read the last post and this one. Gardening is one of the hardest and yet most rewarding things. I will say this though. I don't think one ever has to do a workout for exercise if they garden.
    I actually watched a beginning knitting video last night. I am so intrigued, but am quite sure I have fiddle fingers. I may give it a whirl this winter or I may realize there is a reason I haven't tried it before. We might see. I admire all your goodies though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, when I first decided to learn how to knit again (I knit a cabled scarf when I was in a jr high or highschool home ec class, but hadn't knit for decades), I couldn't believe how challenging it was to my fingers. Having done a lot of crochet up to that point, I was thrilled to discover continental knitting. It felt much more natural to my fingers than what I would call traditional knitting. My first dishcloth when I got back into the knitting saddle was ridiculously funny. It was so funny, I shared it here.

      Delete
  2. Knitting and crocheting hat will come back to you quickly. Make easy simple hats for the first 2 or 3. Then they will fly off you hooks and needles. Maybe doing a child size hat would help get you back into it. You doiues are always a highlight, to me, of your crafting. I agree about the gray one. It does remind me of the lead for a stained glass window. I wonder if you could put colored cellophane behind it, make another one eactly like it and glue them together. Then hang it in a window. Or not lol. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marsha, I've begun collecting cute crocheted hat patterns, and have begun one this week. I find the texture of crocheted hats really fun for girls' hats. I also want to try a provisional cast on for knitted hats - I like the looks of that, but I have to decide if it's worth the time investment to try to learn that in the next 4 weeks. I wish I'd started this hat making project sooner. ;^)

      Delete
  3. What a great project idea. I'm sure your hats will be beautiful. There are lots of fun hat patterns to knit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, my knit hats are pretty simple, and I do hope to make a few, but I've jumped into crocheting hats - because my fingers work so much quicker crocheting. Unfortunately, the only crocheted hat designs I'm a fan of are for girls. I suppose, in the end, there's nothing wrong with me only making girl's hats for this project. It will be interesting to see what I accomplish.

      Delete
  4. I agree that a project with purpose could be very enjoyable! I don't crochet or knit so I may not know what I am talking about, but I feel like the skill for making hats will come right back to you . . . kind of like "riding a bike?" I look forward to seeing some of your finished products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, it's true that skills come back with a bit of practice. I started to crochet a hat this week that I made many times in the past, and I have had to rip it back multiple times. I think I'm finally on a roll with it. YouTube is massively helpful in this regard. :)

      Delete
  5. Carry on, Ma'am! I enjoy seeing the fruits of your labors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thanks, TB. It's great to have cheerleaders.

      Delete
  6. The doilies are beautiful and I like the hat. But if it is to start you off on a batch of hats then perhaps something you are happier with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely, Lucy. I've already put the hat above aside and have jumped into something more familiar and that my fingers seem to enjoy more. :)

      Delete
  7. Whatever imperfections you see in your creations, I'm absolutely oblivious to, so don't be hard on yourself. I have some doilies from my mother's house that she made and bought. I enjoy pulling them out to place under a candy dish, a lamp, and so forth. They soften the look of a home very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I have come to possess some doilies made by grandmothers, and I love them - knowing how those women's nimble fingers worked to make them. I enjoy these more modern colored doilies. I don't display them all that often, but they make me feel connected to generations of the past. And when I display one in a kind of jaunty, artistic way I imagine the grandmothers' surprised approval.

      Delete
  8. I just made plans to go to Rhinebeck for my 1st time ever! I'm so excited. I knit a little, mostly crochet. Still, I'm not as good as you are...the ivory peach doily is lovely. Looks like pale pink! Also, i just heard about princess Kate's cancer and treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how fun, Martha. I've gone to a local fiber festival (that is tiny in comparison to Rhinebeck), but I really enjoyed the atmosphere, and taking in all the beautiful creations and pretty yarns. I hope you have great weather! I understand Princess Kate recently finished her chemo. While she looks beautiful and unchanged, I imagine she has months of healing ahead.

      Delete
  9. I'm in love with your beautiful tiny doilies. Kind regards. 💗🌿🌸🌿

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a knitter and I think yours is superb! I wish I could crochet like you do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can be sure mine is a "non-knitter's eye" but I think it looks swell and I love that you are making hats to donate!

    ReplyDelete