Sunday, November 12, 2017

Some happy finishes...

I missed my fellow Yoppers last week.  I had a vertigo attack on Saturday and even after the spinning stopped, it took it out of me for a few days.  Fortunately, by Tuesday I was feeling mostly myself again and I was able to make up for lost time.

Note:  All of my links below open up separate windows so you won't lose this page (I know sometimes I wonder about that when I'm reading someone's blog and I'm hesitant to click - so I thought a mention about it might be worthwhile.)

Had I been feeling well last Sunday, I would have shown my three As Time Goes By squares:


They turned out a little larger than the Don't Fence Me In squares, so I'm thinking I may not block these.  I probably need to make a few more squares in this blanket before I settle on what will be the final size of the squares - and deal with them all in a way that will make them stitch together nicely.

I love these patterns and the videos by Polly Plum.   The videos make the squares a breeze to make.

Also, I had made another set of stitch markers (or progress keepers as knitters use them):

I am really enjoying making these and have some more ideas brewing.  

~~~~~

And then later this week I finished my Leaping Stripes and Blocks blanket:


I like how it turned out, but I would have liked it more if I hadn't made it quite so wide, so I could have made it longer to fit an adult, or made two baby blankets.   As is, though, it will work well for a child (probably up to a pre-teen age).  Now I need to find a child for it.   ;^)

~~~~~

And now I'll leave you with a couple of videos (that I found online) of a young man who a dear friend and I had the pleasure of seeing in concert at a small music club in Indy this past week.   Ian Ethan Case's specialty is playing double neck guitars - and we were treated to a number of creations of his on those instruments.  But my favorite song he performed was done on a kalimba.  I think this was the song he performed for us:


As good as the video sounds, in person this song (all of his music) was absolutely mesmerizing.   If you stick with the video (it's only around 8 minutes long) I promise you - it will make you dance.  Right there in your chair.

And if you've never experienced a performance on a double-neck guitar, here you go (about 6 minutes in, though, he pulls out the kalimba again, and then goes back to the guitar.):


It was nearly midnight when the concert ended, but I could have stayed for hours more, I think.  ;)


~~~~~


To see what other Yoppers are up to, visit our group on Ravelry.




10 comments:

  1. Gosh Becki, I am sorry to hear about your vertigo. I am glad you are better though. The squares are very pretty and I like the design on them. Your progress keepers are very inspiring too. I should probably make some more but would rather knit than work with jewelry right now. I like that blanket a lot. I can not tell that it is not big enough for an adult. How about as a throw for over the couch to cover your legs if you catch a chill?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the blanket a lot now, too. I wasn't so sure of that variegated once I started working with it, but after I put the border on it, I was really pleased. I do think it would make a nice lap blanket like you describe, or a nice boy's blanket. I didn't have anyone in mind when I made it. I do that often. I make something, sometimes wondering who on earth will want this (or that), and sooner or later I find the perfect person to give it to. Here's hoping that happens this time, too! :)

      Delete
  2. how nice!! a blessing of a concert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasant surprise. When my friend and I went out to dinner at the club, it was really to see her son who was part of the opening act. That in itself was a pleasure. I had no idea who the main performer was going to be. I couldn't have been more pleased. This young man has quite a talent. It was a nice little adventure.

      Delete
  3. sorry to hear about your spinny episode. I am glad you are feeling better. all your projects are wonderful - and I am a sucker for stitch markers - yours are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vertigo is awful! So glad you are getting over it! I love your stitch markers!!! You go girl! I have spent time looking at the 'makings and findings' for stitch markers but haven't ordered anything...it may have to wait until post holidays. Your squares turned out great but I too have the same issue with my Cozy Memories Blanket....all worsted yarns (I'm using worsted) are not the same! The blanket turned out so pretty. I hope you don't have any more 'episodes' of vertigo. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam. Unfortunately, vertigo is something I deal with from time to time. Testing has determined that I've got two types of vertigo (yay me). It's very discouraging when it happens, but fortunately I don't have it very often.

      Delete
  5. So glad to hear you are feeling better.
    Your squares are gorgeous and that blanket is fabulous. Love the stitch markers.

    ReplyDelete