Sunday, April 29, 2018

Shawling along...

Last week I commented that my progress on my two Spicier Life Blankets seems to slow down with each new section.  I don't know what's up with that, but I decided I needed to take a break from those projects.

Wanting to participate in the April's Monthly CAL (which includes shawls) on the Our Happy CAL Place group on Ravelry, I decided to dig out some skeins of Lion Brand Shawl in a Ball yarn I bought at a deep clearance price last December, and start a shawl using the pattern, Ruthie's Sunshine.  Here's just a peek at what I've got done so far:

I think I'm going to call mine Oceanside.

I kind of love the pattern, but I keep making mistakes! And then I don't find them until several rows later!  I'm about half-way finished, but if I hadn't had to rip back so many times I'd have this thing finished by now, I'm sure.

It's a very simple pattern, and because it's so easy, it's tempting to believe you can mindlessly crochet this, but I don't recommend it. I find I really need to hold the thing out after every row or so and count the double crochets (and/or the V stitches).  Counting either of those makes my mistakes stick out.  Not counting will get me every time.

Next week, I imagine it will be back to my Spicier Life Blankets since I really do want to get them finished.   And maybe I'll have this Oceanside shawl finished soon!

To see what other YOPpers are up to, visit our group on Ravelry!




16 comments:

  1. I love that shawl. Perfect color for it too. Guess I need to slide it I to my library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colourway you're using. I used that yarn to make a shawl for my d-i-l last Christmas but her colours are more brownish tones - not the blues that I would prefer myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Anne. The color I'm using is called Healing Teal. There is a stripe of a more green-blue that occasionally pops up, but mostly, it's just various shades of blue with a white thread spun through the whole length of the yarn.

      Delete
  3. You really know how to pick the projects and the yarns to really show them off. That is the prettiest crocheted shawl ever! Okay, so I'm adding it to my list along with the other blankets you're making. When you see my YOP list for 2018-19 you'll think it was your list from this year! LOL!
    You do gorgeous work,Becki...you really do. It always stands out as impeccably crocheted. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, I rarely do anything original - especially color-wise. I think this pattern was originally done using Shawl in a Ball yarn, so I can't take any credit for picking the yarn, either. And you're so kind, Sam. I feel like crochet is easy to make look "impeccable", as you say. Now knitting... I'm still mystified at how you knitters turn out perfectly stitched items. I canNOT get my knitting tension consistent.

      Delete
  4. P.S. What size hook are you using. I looked at some of the others and they are too 'lacy' or 'holey' for me but yours looks more solid not so much like netting. I like yours but not the one in the pattern picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using a J hook and my shawl is pretty open. Supposedly, one can block it by simply spreading it out wet and letting it dry, so how open it ends up being is up to the maker. While mine is pretty open, I do think the ones that show as more lacy are probably blocked pretty "hard". If you don't want an open fabric (to some degree), you probably wouldn't be too crazy about this one, though, Sam.

      Delete
  5. I've had projects like that! Good luck finishing it! And getting back to the Spicier Blankets

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great color! The joins I'm doing on one of my blankets is like that. It should be really easy, then as I go around it I find out I have made a half of a v stitch or only have 5 when i should have had 6. It's too easy to miss, if you aren't paying very close attention. I keep thinking I would like to join more Alongs, but the current list is already a bit long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's exactly the kind of thing I keep doing. I'm now checking every row carefully. :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Becki, Thank you for sharing your beautiful shawl. I love this pattern. And it sounds like a fun CAL that you belong to. Enjoy your day :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Becki :) The shawl is looking really pretty, I love those colours. I think Oceanside is a great name for it! :)

    ReplyDelete