Sunday, January 20, 2019

Baby, It's Cold Outside (and chilly inside for that matter)...

My short, elbow-length poncho is finished!  Here it is finally:
Lace-Edged Poncho pattern is here

If you click on the link to check out the original design you'll notice that mine looks a bit different. I decided to make the top part longer, and dispense with the original lace edge (which appears to be maybe 4-6 inches long. Instead, after making a longer top part, I used border #5 from the book, Around the Corner Crochet Borders by Edie Eckman for the edging.


It's a slightly lacy scalloped border that I think suits rest of the poncho.

I'll be honest... I was growing ambivalent about this project as I worked on it this past week. I second guessed my yarn colors, kept trying to figure out some sort of interesting striping, and in my efforts to enlarge it a bit (to fit around my... well, myself) I worried that I was either making it too large or not large enough. With all of these things there was a fair amount of ripping back and redoing that happened, all the while I just wasn't sure how it would suit me.

Well... After I took the pictures (above) I've been wearing it pretty much non-stop this weekend. It's a perfect thing for wearing while sitting here typing on my keyboard. Or while knitting or crocheting. Because it doesn't come much beyond my elbows, I can even do dishes in it. It's essentially like wearing a shawl, but I don't have to adjust it (or pin it) to get it to sit still and mostly stay put.

A perfect finish for the deep freeze that descended on the upper Midwest this weekend. 😊

~~~~~


And, now, since I said I would do it (and I truly believed I could), I kept up the temperature scarf most of the past week...  But I've finally decided to give up on my plan to finish it.  

It finally passed the point of ugly, and I just refuse to finish that last row...



It was clearly a mistake to go with so many colors, and temperature increments.  I might have liked it more if I'd gone with fewer colors in similar shades, but this...

I just can't go on.  
I dislike it immensely.  And I don't want to spend any more yarn on it.  So I'm ripping back what I can salvage, and tossing the rest.  

And I feel greatly relieved to have that little experiment behind me. 😏 



To see what other YOPers are up to, 




2019 Yarn Stash-Down progress:  10.61/100 skeins



18 comments:

  1. Great idea to have an elbow length poncho. How nice to be able to wear around the house while doing chores and it doesn't get in the way. Just nice warmth for the shoulders, back and chest area. I am sorry to hear and see your temperature shawl did not work out. Better to dump it now than to wait and totally hate it at the end of your time table. Live and learn, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good you decided you didn't like your temperature shawl so early in. The yarn looks great though, hopefully you can find a more suitable use for them soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarn colors are beautiful (on their own). I kept thinking, "I can make something pretty with this! It's terrible to use it on something that I can tell isn't going to work out." What was I thinking???

      Delete
  3. The poncho sounds ideal as a cosy item to keep you warm and not have to keep rolling up sleeves and adjusting a shawl. The temperature shawl frogging sounds like a good idea, stick with what brings you joy and you make so many things that are beautiful it would be a shame to take time away from those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the changes and mods you made and the fact that your are wearing your poncho non-stop is confirmation of a job really well done. Whoop whoop to the frogging of something you were not enjoying. I've said it before and I'll say it again, life is too too short to waste it on projects that are not being enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for the poncho! Perfect timing too.
    I have had a few pieces like your shawl: no point in throwing good yarn after bad as they say! You will find something great to work on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Throwing good yarn after bad - that's exactly what this was feeling like finally. I've already moved on - in my mind, anyway. I'm ready to make a blanket - just trying to decide which one. :)

      Delete
  6. I love the pink and well all the colors but I guess it would be more suitable for a child, if you're making it for yourself, you'd like calmer colors, just a few.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute poncho! I went and looked at the original and I like yours much better. (And those colors! Fabulous.) Good for you on stopping the temperature scarf if you didn't like it. Life is too short to crochet things you don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that poncho/shawl is perfect - I dislike shawls because they're always falling off and getting in the way. Don't care for sweaters because I'm always shoving the sleeves up because they get in my way. This would be ideal. Good test when it's so cold too. I'm with you in reverse stitching things - today I removed an element of my latest landscape because I hated it. Not so sure I am totally in like with what I'm replacing it with, but time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your poncho and I can see why it would be practical around the house for sure! You always widen my world and open my eyes to new possibilities, thank you! I love that scarf it is Boho chic but I may be part gypsy too....are there such a thing as Irish gypsies? LOL! I love crazy colors together and definitely eclectic everything! What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you're keepin it real with the temperature scarf. I think if I knitted such a type of project, it'd be boring as our temperatures tend to stay close to one another during a season. So glad the poncho worked out for you and that it's useful. Yeah, I get disgruntled having to adjust a shawl all the time. I actually hardly wear mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your poncho is really nice Becki, great job on that! I'm glad you feel okay with ripping out your experiment! Good for you! (Though I like the colours!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that poncho, it's pretty and also such a great practical piece of clothing. I'm very tempted to make myself one, with this cold weather. I feel like I've not felt properly warm in days!

    And good call on the temp shawl. I don't really mind the look, but there is really no point continuing a project that you don't enjoy and don't think you are going to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your poncho is perfect and I love the new edging.

    ReplyDelete