Sunday, January 27, 2019

I am such a square...

Two years ago I joined the 2017 BAMCAL group on Ravelry.  For the uninitiated, BAMCAL stands for Block-A-Month Crochet-A-Long.  The idea is you  make two blocks each month and by year's end you'll have enough for a blanket.  

Theoretically.

That first year, I was excited and early on I made a number of blocks - mostly playing with colors, but I eventually made four blocks that helped me settle on my colors and were acceptable for putting toward a blanket I hoped to finish that year.

Here they are (again), for the record:





Then, in 2018, with the renewed enthusiasm that a new year brings, I joined the 2018 BAMCAL group and declared my intentions of making more blocks and hopefully finishing a BAMCAL blanket by year's end.

I made a total of zero squares in 2018.

So this year, I again jumped into the 2019 BAMCAL group, with lots of enthusiasm, but having a more realistic view of my likely progress, I hereby make no more declarations of when this project will finish. 

Finding myself in a bit of a lull between larger projects, this past week I decided to make a couple of new squares.  This was, in fact, the only crocheting I managed to get in finally - when things slowed down late in the week.

The first square I crocheted was Eye of the Beholder:


This was a fun square to see made by different people - That's always true, of course, but this square changed dramatically with different color placements.  If you don't believe me, you can scroll through the Ravelry thread here.

Then, rather than do the second square (which was too open of a pattern for what I want in this blanket), I searched the archives and found Hope Still:


This square was a bear, to be honest, but the finished effect was worth all the effort.  My advice if you chose to make this square...  Don't work it when you're tired, breathe deep, take it slowly, and take breaks.  And most importantly... trust the instructions.    'Nuff said.  

With two squares successfully made in January of 2019 I'm in love with the idea of a BAMCAL blanket again, and my colors.  All is well.

Regardless of how many squares I make this year, this is one of those projects that will eventually get finished.  Oops... there I go making declarations again.  Let's just say that's my plan, anyway.  If I live long enough.  

~~~~~

I mentioned earlier in the month that I would be working on whittling down my kitchen cotton stash this year by always having a dishcloth or washcloth on the needles or hook.  Well, I forgot to mention hotpads.  I still have something of a fascination with hotpads.  😊

Seeing someone else's Pinwheel Hotpad recently, I was inspired to try my hand at making one:



Here's the thing, though...  Since I referred to two patterns and two videos to complete this pinwheel shaped hotpad, I really don't have a pattern to recommend.  If you want to make one, search for pinwheel hotpad.  It was fun, and not even difficult, but without a single pattern to refer to, I'm honestly not likely to make any more.  That said, I'm happy I made it as I've been curious about how these are made for some time.  My curiosity is now satisfied.  😉 

And the following pretties will be added to my dish/washcloth box for using or giving away at some point:



Patterns (or stitch patterns) used in the above cloths:

Simple garter stitch 
Simple stockinette stitch (with garter stitch borders)
Boxes Dishcloth - remains my personal favorite
My Heart Dishcloth  - this would make a sweet child's washcloth 


~~~~~


To see what other YOPers are up to, 





2019 Yarn Stash-Down progress:  12/100 skeins


13 comments:

  1. The pinwheel hit pad is wonderful. Nope, don't think I want to tackle it though. Nice dish/wash cloths too. I tried the BAM a few years back. Never finished either and donated my squares to charity. I love the color of your squares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better to have a blanket you love with squares you’ve done at your own pace than rush through squares and stress out just to keep up. It will be a blanket with a story too. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many people make dishcloths. We use sponges, so I never make them. I use my cotton to make water bottle pads for the student's desks in my classroom. The pinwheel came out great....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those two squares are beautiful, the colours of the first one are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those are fancy squares! Gorgeous though☺. Love the potholder as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to knit some dishcloths...I just cleaned out the drawer and tossed all the ones that were unbearably crunchy. ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty sure those are the nicest granny squares I've ever seen! No, not nice - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this years squares, the second in particular. It fascinates me how you could have done it. I can crochet but nothing anywhere near that type of item and I love how the pinwheel hot pad turned out! It's fascinating looking at it so I can see why you were curious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right about the square looking so different it's hard to believe it's the same pattern. I love the colors you chose for your blanket. Nice job on the pinwheel hot pad but only you could make it work with 2 patterns. After all you were able to do the heart dishcloth....not me! I'll have to try your favorite dishcloth pattern along with Marsha's. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those incredible colors you're using for the squares! You're going to have a beautiful afghan (no matter what year it's completed!). The hot mat looks intriguing. I know I've seen the pattern somewhere but no clue where now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those squares are no joke. I like how you challenge yourself and what a great way to stash bust.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! that intricate square is really beautiful but I imagine it took a lot of work! you make beautiful things!!! sorry I am so behind on things, just saw this post! It's lovely and I always love your blog! God bless you dear one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Hope Still square Becki and wow, you did a great job on the pinwheel!!!

    ReplyDelete