Sunday, February 3, 2019

Can you see the hearts?

With all the fussing around with yarn I did this week (and nothing but time on my hands due to the frigid weather and no where I had to go), I have surprisingly little to show this week.

During February in Our Happy Cal Place we're making baby/child/lap blankets.  So early in the week I pulled out various blues and teals from my stash, intent on making an ombre blanket.   I even started several ripple-patterned blankets, but for one reason or another each one of them got frogged before I got very far in. Either my counts were off, or I wasn't happy with my yarn - I tried two or three different days to make it work, but I finally decided it just wasn't meant to be.

Giving up on that idea, and needing something that didn't require many brain cells (because I had used so many up on my failed teal ombre blanket) I finally just decided to pull out my last jumbo skein of Loops & Threads Snuggly Wuggly Big! yarn (that name makes me giggle every time) and start making a simple C2C (Corner to Corner) baby blanket. I'm maybe a third of the way finished:



~~~~~

Now, I had earlier pulled aside some shades of pink and coral to make a second blanket, but the CAL for that (in the Red Heart Lovers group) had a definite start date of February 1st.  So there was no working on that early.  But Friday finally arrived and I've gotten this much done on a child-sized blanket I'm calling Sweetheart Blanket:


 Do you see the hearts?    

No?


Let me turn it around...
Do you see them now?


How about if I stretch on the fabric a bit?

For some reason, when I saw this blanket in a book (and it was a yellow blanket, mind you) I saw hearts.  I thought crocheting it in shades of pink it would be undeniably a blanket of hearts.  But today I'm not seeing hearts.  Not unless I squint my eyes and cock my head a little to the right.  Then I can almost imagine hearts.

Ah well..  it should be a fun experiment with color, anyway, as I've not tried making an ombre blanket before.  Honestly, it won't be a true ombre since (I think) there will be corals in the middle, but I'm hoping it sort of approximates ombre.  Sort of approximates works for me at this point.

Check back next week to see my progress!  And to see what other YOPers are up to, visit our group on Ravelry!



I feel a little silly with this snow-background graphic today.  After temps in the negatives °F last week, today we're in the mid-50's!   Ahhh.... Midwest winters are nothing if not interesting.    It's tempting to imagine it's spring, but snow's in the forecast again after this week so I'm not packing away my winter graphics yet!

2019 Yarn Stash-Down progress:  12.5/100 skeins



~~~~

Mid-Sunday afternoon I had to come back and add this.

Just four days after the polar vortex had us braving (or sheltering from) near record frigid temperatures, it has warmed up to 64°F  and I'm sitting in the sun, on my deck, in shirt sleeves, crocheting.  It's almost too warm to have this blanket on my lap.

On February 3rd!   Outside!!!!


I know cold weather and snow will return, but today I'm saying, "Good Riddance, Polar Vortex!  I hope I don't see the likes of you again anytime soon."








13 comments:

  1. Well I saw the hearts straight away if that's any help, even upside down but then I've spent years designing seeing things and saying to my family can you see, x, y or z and most of the time they couldn't see what I was seeing lol. You know you just can't beat a good C2C. I've been thinking about crochet for the last two weeks from my Aunt visited wanting a C2C blanket pattern and to show her how to work it for a baby she was asked to make a blanket for. Your C2C is making me want to pick up my hook again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was upside down (which is technically right side up on the original design) that I saw the hearts, too. I may just be trying to hard now that I'm actually making the blanket. Thanks for your encouragement, Ruth.

      Delete
  2. Your crochet projects always make me want to start a crochet project at once... And yes, I can definitely see hearts in that blanket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Another heart sighting! It gives me hope. :)

      Delete
  3. I can see the hearts on the 3rd picture, regardless though it’s a lovely pattern and colours you are using. Snuggly wuggly yarn sounds the perfect thing for a blanket to snuggle under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regardless of whether hearts ever show up, I've concluded the stitch pattern is a sweet one, so I'm going to keep plugging away and hope for the best.

      Delete
  4. I'll be honest, I couldn't see them to start with! I shall put it down to not being a crocheter and my eyesight. It's beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all fairness, the original pattern is called Corn Cob. I guess the shells are supposed to resemble corn kernals, but I saw hearts in the original blanket. Now I don't see either. But since posting my picture above, I've added a darker and brighter pink and I think I'm starting to see hearts again. This is a total experiment and I just hope I don't mess it up as I go through the color changes I've chosen.

      Delete
  5. it sure was cold for a bit!!! I like your makes and in the end, I did see the hearts! I like the colours! :) God bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the hearts once you turned it around! I love both blankets. I too am making a C2C in pink for GRayson...it's his favorite color probably part of his bd gift in July. I love your ombre in pink....even prettier! I had lots of pink yarn for some reason but never thought of ombre...which I had! I know what you mean about the weather....I was outside for a bit yesterday with window's open and today there will be weeding and screen washing! LOL! I hope you have more warm weather ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see hearts! Both blankets are so cute. Good luck trying to do an Ombre. I hope it works out well for you. I like the way the colors are blending so far. That polar vortex was horrible! I am so glad it has passed through and your temperatures are a bit nicer now. I think it is time for me to clean off my front porch rockers and start having some crochet/knitting time out side too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those blankets are so pretty! Our snow has stopped here in the south west of the UK and now it's just raining and windy.


    I always find it hard to get a project started on the first attempt. There's always something not quite right.


    I see hearts :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun blankets. You are making terrific progress on them.

    ReplyDelete