Sunday, May 5, 2019

Show and tell on myself...

This is the post that almost wasn't.

Last week started out with such great intentions.   

And it ended with not much to show for it.  😟

Enthused about the Stitch Mayniacs starting new cross stitch projects this month and me sort of thinking I would follow along and maybe even join in, I went to pull out my embroidery floss and Aida cloth to see what I had to work with.

I found this small plastic tote box with a number of projects I had started (some decades ago) and never finished:

As I began pulling them out, I thought, why on earth am I thinking of starting new projects when I have all these that really ought to just be given some love and get finished already.


~~~~~

In no particular order, I found all sorts of things..


These pretty little strawberries are actually finished.  I think I've decided to make a small pillow (maybe a pincushion) with this. I just need to find some coordinating fabric.  So, while I don't want you to hold me to it, it is certainly within the realm of possibility that this might get finished sometime in the next decade...


~~~~~

These little Amish children have been finished and hiding away in this box for a while now.  The date I stitched on it is 1985.  For the record, that was...  a loooong time ago.  I'm not into decorating with Amish children anymore, but it seems a shame to not do something with this.  A sofa pillow, maybe (fencing the picture in with strips like a quilt)?   I'll need to find more coordinating fabric...



~~~~~
Okay, now this is interesting...
I know this project is at least 20 years old - maybe 30.  I bought this kit once upon a time thinking it  a great idea to embroider an angel tree-topper.  She has a whole dress and wings. And a halo!   Every single piece has embroidery work to do, and then it all gets stitched together with the skirt left open at the bottom so it sits atop a Christmas tree.  


I was so eager and full of optimism when I started her.
This is all I got done.  Sigh...


~~~~~

These cute little Christmas bags are all done except for some detail work on the Stocking one.  I actually finished one of these (meaning I turned it into a sachet and have used it for many years as a Christmas ornament).  The finished one is a partridge in a pear tree.  It's in the attic with the other Christmas decorations or I'd have taken a picture of it, too.  I mention it just in case anyone is beginning to doubt I am capable of finishing stuff like this.


~~~~

And before we put Christmas away, here are some ornaments I started once upon a time:
I made a bunch of these - I'm sure also more than 20 years ago.  At the time, I gave several away as small gifts to family members.  I think last Christmas my MIL (who is a quilter) returned the ones I gave her - when she began downsizing her Christmas ornaments.  I think my MIL being a quilter is the whole reason I even started making these way back then...


~~~~~

And this little bookmark I've shown here before (I'm thinking... 3... 4? years ago):
Seriously, I ought to be able to finish this in a couple of hours - including hemming, or stitching up the sides and fraying them.  Fray or hem...  which should I do here?


~~~~~

And there are the truly guilt-inducing items:
Never fear - I didn't spill anything on this.  The photo is pixelated where personal info was stitched.

This sweet little sampler above was for my middle son.  It was to go on his nursery wall.  He turned 27 in February.  I'm now saving it for my first grandchild (being the optimist that I am), and will only feel a little regret when I rip the original name and date out.  

FWIW, those two needles were in this when I unfolded it.  Let's assume I worked on this after my son was born - for at least a year or two.  That means those needles have been stuck in that fabric for at least 25 years!  

FWIW, every project that wasn't finished had a needle left in it.  Most threaded with floss or wool.  Ready to pick up where I left off, I guess...

And I wonder why I can never find a needle when I need one.

~~~~~

And finally...  I believe I made this last one around 1988-89.  I was into sheep then, too.  Amish children and sheep.  In fact, I liked sheep so much I decorated my first born's nursery with sheep and this was meant to be a pillow for his nursery.  He turned 30 last month.
I think it would make a nice pillow, still.  Since we're overdue for getting some new furniture, though, I think it ought to be tucked away until I know what color of fabric(s) I ought to trim it out with.   As always, I'm open to suggestions...


~~~~~

So what did I actually accomplish this week?  Well, if you think I got sidetracked pulling out all my finished-but-not-finished, and partially-finished needle projects, you would be correct.  But at least I did something with floss and needle.

I started back up on my simple embroidered pillowcases and I am determined to get these finished!

 
And I plan to trim them out with some simple crocheted edging like this, I think:

Aren't those swans pretty in their simplicity?   I think this is from a set of pillowcases my husband's grandmother embroidered for us 39 years ago.   That, or my grandmother embroidered them and that would make them at least 56 years old (because she died when I was just 4).  Either way, the pillow cases are not usable anymore, but they inspire me to want to make more so I hang onto them as a reminder of how sweet it was to sleep on pretty pillows.  Once I finish some myself, I think I can let the old, tattered ones go.

~~~~~
Oh yes...   And I got a little crocheting in, too.   I began a Bertie Baby Blanket.  Here's just a peek:


To see what other YOPers are up to, 

And if you're at all inclined to join us when we begin a new year on July 1st, please do!  While everyone is a knitter and/or crocheter, other crafts are highlighted, too.  All you need is a blog and to be a member of Ravelry (membership is free)!  Come check us out and see if this Year Of Projects thing looks like fun.






13 comments:

  1. I know what you need to do! Move!!!! (and yes, I'm kidding). I got rid of all this type of project when we moved here because I simply had no room to store things that I seriously doubted would ever get finished. Living and creating in a very limited space certainly makes you think twice about keeping things. Just a little aside note tho' - if you plan to keep these for future completion, seriously consider removing the needles from the fabric. Sometimes they will rust and ruin the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed that the needles haven't rusted - I do know better than just leave them in the fabric indefinitely (which makes me think I really must have thought I was going to get right back to them). As I fold these items up, I'll be a good girl and remove all the needles. We are hoping to move in a year or so (just depends on finding what will suit us as a (hopefully) last house. I am culling out things now, but I confess... the craft stuff is the hardest. I finally have time to craft, and yet I'm facing the reality that time (and space) is limited and I simply will not live long enough to make everything I want to make at this point. :(

      Delete
  2. These are great projects. I'll be blogging next week about one I've started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to see your project, Stef!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love every one of those projects. I personally love frayed bookmarks.As for the sheep pillow.....back it with gray. As close to the aida cloth as possible. That little girl crewel pattern is so different. I bet you could find a little girl that would love this. Or save it in hopes of a grand daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning toward frayed. It will be quicker and it will likely be easier to get a straight edge. I spent some time after posting this looking at the angel piece. I see that the hair is the most intricate part that is embroidered. I'm toying with the idea of skipping the wings and halo and making this into a sort of flat doll. I'm not so enamored with it being a tree topper, but the pattern itself looks really sweet.

      Delete
  4. I loved seeing all the projects Becki and what a trip down memory lane it was. Looking forward to seeing the finished you'll put to many of them and I think it's lovely to finish them off and then start new ones. The pillowcases are just wonderful and I really love the finishing touch of the crochet, that just seems to set it apart and make it special. That is an interesting baby blanket, looking forward to seeing that one grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. I'm nearly done with the embroidery on the pillowcases and hope to add the edging this week. Pulling everything out was really helpful in motivating me to get some of the things done.

      Delete
  5. You found treasures! The tree top angel sounds like it would be amazing all finished up. I am always leaving my needles in projects too, and when I buy un-started/unfinished stitched things at the thrift store there are often neeedles left in those projects as well Maybe it's our way of saying 'I was here', even if we don't finish the stitching?
    Stitch Maynia doesn't have to be about starting all new things: many stitchers use this month to challenge themselves to work on/finish projects. However you decide to do it is the right way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure if Stitch Mayniacs considered finishing projects acceptable for Stitch Maynia month. I'm seriously itching to start something, but I'm feeling motivated to finish a few items too. Thank you for your comments, Jenn. I looked over the picture of the tree top angel and it appears that the hair is the most concentrated area of stitching. That makes the whole thing not seem nearly so daunting.

      Delete
  6. These are all fantastic. What great finds - it will be lovely to turn these into useful items.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such beautiful projects to finish Becki!!! I love the strawberries, santa and the sheep!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the sheep should be backed in a green that tones well with the grey...like their pasture they were grazing on but wandered off to a gravel area lol! You’ve some lovely pieces here and I hope you get many of them finished this month, that would be a real achievement.

    ReplyDelete