Sunday, July 5, 2020

It's A New Year! Of projects...




While officially this is the beginning of YOP Year 10, it will be my 6th year of participating with this great group of bloggers.  Since some of my readers are not Year of Projects participants, though, I'll take a moment to explain this thing I post about most every Sunday.

On Ravelry, there is this group called Year Of Projects where the participants make it their intention to share and document their creative pursuits via their blogs for a whole year.  The original participants chose to have their YOP year run from July 1st through June 30th of the following year, and that format continues to this day.  That said, a few YOPers choose to use a calendar year for their YOPing.  It works for them and that's cool.   'Nuff said on that, I think.  If you're curious about possibly participating yourself, check out the group on Ravelry.  

A few years ago I ceased creating an annual list of projects I would work on and now each July I just launch myself into the new YOP year with little concern about what I might actually end up making over the next twelve months.

But as this new YOP year begins, I thought I'd use this first post to survey my WIPs for the sake of considering whether I want to focus on any (or all) of them during upcoming YOP year.  

Starting from oldest to newest:

My BAM CAL (Block of the Month Crochet-A-Long) blanket:

I started this project back in 2017.  The idea is to crochet one (0r two) squares each month, and in a year's time one has enough squares to finish a whole blanket.  The last square I finished was in 2019.  You can see from this picture I've made approximately 2 squares a year, so if I want a blanket made of 20 squares (4 x 5), I'm on schedule to finish this blanket in the year...  2027!  I really should apply myself to this more - or maybe decide to make a smaller blanket...


~~~~~

Next is my Maybelle Flower Garden blanket:

I also started this project in 2017.  This blanket will be made up of squares that are a combination of the Maybelle Flower and the Rose Trellis Afghan square.  I have no idea how large or small I'll end up making this, nor do I have a plan for when I will finish this one, but I still love it so it remains in my WIPs collection.


~~~~~

Next there is my 99 Little Doilies project.  I think it was in the summer of 2018 when I impetuously purchased a used copy of this book and after making a few of the doilies, I got the idea to maybe make them all.  



I still think that's a fun idea, but I haven't moved very far on it.   I've made five little doilies to date - so that puts this project on schedule to be finished in... let's see...  oh wow!  in 2043!  😲   If I manage to live that long, I doubt I'll still be crocheting, so I might want to get this project in gear or maybe just hold the idea of finishing it very loosely.  For now, it remains a sort of WIP.


~~~~~

Leaping Stripes Blanket:

I began this in February of this year and it was put aside because I needed to buy more yarn.  Yarn is now purchased, so I have no good reason to not start working on this project again.  Should be completed shortly - hopefully.


~~~~~


Linen & Threads 2020 Mystery SAL (Stitch-A-Long):  
I'm choosing to make this as a Nod-to-COVID-19 piece.  A section of this is published each month (which started in January).  I started this project late, and am even more behind now, but I have a feeling COVID-19 will be with us long after the complete Mystery SAL pattern is published, so I feel no need to keep on a tight schedule stitching this. I do hope to have it finished by the time a trusted vaccine is made available.  The optimists say that's maybe early-mid 2021.  The pessimists (or maybe they're the realists) would tell me not to worry.  I have plenty of time to finish this project.


~~~~~

I will, of course, tend to ignore some of these WIPs and make whatever strikes my fancy whenever my fancy is struck.  For now, these projects hold enough appeal that they will stay on my well-intentioned WIPs list.

And that, dear reader, is how I roll with my Year of Projects project.  Some might call it "loosey-goosey.  I like to think of it as spontaneous.  😉

Check back next week to see if I've made any progress on anything!   You just never know what may show up here.  








36 comments:

  1. Those Maybelle Flower Squares are beautiful! They will make such a pretty afghan. When I did YOP in the past, year long planning was too much for me. I've started with a few quarterly projects and, like you, will add or delete as the mood strikes. I look forward to seeing how your projects develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. Quarterly projects sound like great idea!

      Delete
  2. Oh Becki you did make me chuckle with your completion year calculations. I think your plan seems a good one. Re: blanket size, that’s got me wondering how big a blanket needs to be, for me if it covers from my belly to my toes that’ll do me...so when I ever do one it will be pretty narrow. There are no rules I guess on size, especially if there are repeated square I guess? The leaping stripes blanket it gorgeous and very much my colours...lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz. As far as how large a blanket needs to be, there are guidelines, but it really doesn't matter. But with these 12-inch squares (and taking into account any width that will be added with joining and a border), I'm thinking what I would consider blanket size would take 20 squares. And a lapghan size blanket would take 12 squares. The other thing I will take into consideration is how heavy these squares are. I think I'll have a better feel for all of this once I have at least 12 squares made.

      Delete
  3. Becki, everyone of your WIPs are spectacular. If you take until 2043 to complete the doilies, I probably won't be around to see the completion lol. I would be 90 lol. The leaping stripes is done in my favorite colors. I hope your hubby is healing well. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marsha. FWIW, I'm just a few years behind you. I don't exactly have longevity in my genes going for me, so I should plan to make some decisions about that doily project before I let it linger too long. ;^)

      Delete
  4. 2027 sounds like a doable goal for finishing your blanket. lol! and 2043...let's see ...that will make me 87! Ok. I promise to be around for the finish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I going to count on you being around for any and all of my finishes, Mary-Anne.

      Delete
  5. Wow! That flower garden blanket!! Double WOW that Sampler! Such great work. I look forward to seeing your YOP progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that flower garden blanket, such lovely colours! And the BAM CAL blanket ... well, however long it takes you, I'll be around to see it finished. Is the pattern still available somewhere? By the way, I'm glad I'm not the only one digging up older WIPs this year. ;-)
    Happy yopping to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ella. If you're asking about a pattern for the BAM CAL blanket the patterns were (and are) released within the BAM CAL group on Ravelry. A new BAM CAL group is started each year. Here is a link to this year's group: https://www.ravelry.com/groups/2020-crochet-block-a-month-cal. The patterns offered in the group are free, but sometimes their designers charge for the patterns after a period of time.

      Here is a link (on Ravelry) to MY blanket and the patterns I've made so far: https://www.ravelry.com/projects/yarnma/bam-cal-2017---2019. I should also note that I sometimes use patterns that aren't released in the BAM CAL group. Most any 12-inch square pattern should work.

      Delete
  7. I think I started my Maybelle blanket before yours and I just now ordered the yarn to finish it, hopefully! LOL! I have way more WIPs than you and other than gifts the majority of my focus this year will be finishing those wips or at least trying. I love your COVID project. It's beautiful! I also really like the Leaping Stripes and you know I love your doilies and plan on making more this year! Good luck with your Loosey Goosey approach! I like it and I love your projects and the "surprises" each week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be right, Sam. Which means your Maybelle is older than my Maybelle. Maybe if I see you working on yours, I'll be inspired to work on mine. ;^)

      Delete
  8. Oh I truly love little doilies. I use them all over the house. I think that is why really old furniture can look wonderful after years and years...the women used doilies. I have never been good with a knitting needle, but I have always loved the handiwork. The sampler is going to be so pretty. I truly intended to do a Jan-June round up of my stitching, but it has already slipped away from me. I will certainly do an end of the calendar year one. I actually like the idea of ending the year in June like the group does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beginning this Year of Projects in July has always felt good - like something to look forward to mid-year. This year, especially - with COVID - a new beginning is most welcome, even if the world isn't any different (and may not be for some time yet). If you're able to do it at year's end, I look forward to seeing your round-up of projects, Sandy!

      Delete
  9. You have some gorgeous wips there. I love all of the colours that you have used. There are, of course, no rules with the year of projects, so you do whatever is good for you. I look forward to seeing those progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to do well (especially with creative pursuits) with a framework and few rules. The framework of a year is pretty perfect for me.

      Delete
  10. Your work is lovely. anything you pick up will be well worth finishing. I prefer to make plans for the season. I haven't quite come to grips with summer yet, though. Summer's usually about stitching rather than crochet or knit.

    I really can't face a year long plan, but hat's off to the people who can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Me either. I love the IDEA of creating a year-long plan, but as with many things like that for me, the project then becomes something a burden. I've even (pretty much) stopped proclaiming ahead of time what I plan to do in terms of a project because, sure enough, as soon as I do I lose interest in said project. Of course, some things in life require making a goal, setting to the path, and following through. But, for me, for now, this approach is best where it comes to most of my hand-crafts. And thank you for the complement, Liz!

      Delete
  11. I forgot to say I love the idea of the July-june fiscal year rather than calendar year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I know it's just what I need mid-year. :)

      Delete
  12. Becki, I'm so excited to see your work, It's beautiful as always. Congrats on year 6 too by the way. I browsed back to see some of the things I have missed over the last year and I see you have been busy indeed. And Hooray for another Cross Sticher, I have a few projects on my list this year too.

    I think that not having a list might end up being the best idea yet. Then you don't feel tied down to having to accomplish certain things. If it speaks to you then it gets attention. That's so much more fun. I have a Maybelle Flower type of blanket almost done, I joined it with the celtic join and it's really going to be a great blanket when I get those sends sewn in..It's been hanging around for a while also.

    I know whatever you accomplish this year it will be beautiful and I can't wait to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your Maybelle. And it's beautiful, Alleigh. Wouldn't it be fun if several of us who've begun Maybelle blankets finished them this year? They would all look so different. I am so glad you've rejoined, and I look forward to seeing your projects again!

      Delete
  13. Very nice! I love your blankets and it made me laugh how you calculated out when they would be finished - definitely something I would do haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta keep a sense of humor about my waylaid plans. And doing those calculations really adds a dose of reality. :)

      Delete
  14. That's a lot of projects! I love the Scandinavian-looking linen and thread work, it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd never considered that my cross stitch project has a Scandinavian feel to it, but I can see it now. So glad to see it through your eyes. :)

      Delete
  15. I've always thought spontaneity was a good thing - or maybe I just like to say that when in truth I'm just plain disorganized! I rarely think beyond the project I have lined up to do after the current one is completed. Oh I may *think* about what I might like to do but rarely do I actually DO it. All I know for sure is that landscapes will be an ongoing thing for the foreseeable future, at least until the next rabbit moment comes along. Looks like you have lots to keep you busy and I know others fun things will creep in along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - I could have written exactly what you wrote. Except for the landscape part. I'm glad you're so into making quilted landscapes. These are truly works of art and inspire me.

      Delete
  16. Hi Becki! Wow a new YOP year...time flies. I remember joining in a few summers back, then things went nuts in my life starting with the 9-month dog sitting!! :) Nice to see all of your projects, I love your SAL and your Flower Garden blanket the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you participating in YOP is how I met you. Oh yes... I remember the dog sitting. :) Thank you for your kind comment, Rain.

      Delete
  17. Ooh, I like that Flower Garden pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been working tonight on sewing in ends in some of the finished squares pictured above. This is a seriously long-term project for me, but sewing in some ends is a good place for me to start getting back to it.

      Delete
  18. Lots of beautiful projects in the works. I can no longer do work of this kind, yet I'm getting twitchy to start a crochet project just looking at yours. It is always pleasant to have something to do with one's hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's trying to not take for granted that I have the eyes and hand-stamina? to work on projects like this that keeps me pressing on making things while I can.

      Delete