Saturday, July 23, 2022

Chicken Burritos - Healthified...

Chicken Burritos has been a favorite of hubs and mine for years.   I got the original recipe (below)  from my mother-in-law more than a decade ago, and it may be that the recipe she gave me is floating around out there on the internet, but I've never looked it up, and I've kind of healthified the original, so I'm giving you both recipes below.  

While I have given measurements, I am not a stickler for them.  I suggest using them the first time, and erring on the side of more sour cream (or yogurt) and cheese.  I almost always add more cheese to a recipe.  You also may want more chili pepper. I usually add more, but sometimes Hubs and I suffer for it later - we are not super spicey food eaters.   

While the first recipe calls for a rotisserie chicken, you can substitute any cuts of chicken (fresh cooked or leftover) to make approximately 4-5 cups of shredded chicken.  I've made this so often over the years, I go by taste and texture - I've learned it's best if the chicken mixture is too moist, rather than too dry.  

There is no rice in these burritos.  Never was, never will be - unless you want to put it in, in which case, you're on your own.  Anyway, here goes:
 

This is one burrito cut in half


Chicken Burritos Original recipe:

1 rotisserie chicken
1 10-oz can tomatoes with chili peppers (or you may prefer jalapenos)
1/2 cup sour cream (use whatever amount gives a very moist mixture)
1 Tbs Chili Powder
1 tsp salt
1 16-oz can refried beans
8 8-inch flour tortillas
1/2 - 1 lb Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded (depending on your love of cheese).  


Pull meat into thin shreds.  In bowl, stir together shredded chicken, tomatoes (with peppers and all juices), sour cream, chili powder and salt until well mixed.  If the mixture seems a bit dry, add more sour cream.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Spread 1/8 of refried beans evenly on one side of the tortilla.  Spoon 1/8 of chicken mixture atop the refried beans.  Reserve 1-2 cups (depending on how much cheese you started with) of shredded cheese to melt on top of burritos later. With remaining cheese, sprinkle 1/8 of what is left over chicken and beans.  Roll up tortilla and place burritos seam-side down in a greased (I use butter) 12"x 8" baking dish.

Cover baking dish with foil and bake 30 minutes or until burritos are heated through.  The chicken mixture will start to bubble out from both ends of the burritos.  Remove foil and sprinkle burritos with reserved shredded cheese, back in the oven (uncovered) for 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese melts and begins to brown.

Serve with chopped lettuce and tomatoes, or any side salad.  Makes 4 generous servings.

~~~~~



Healthified Chicken Burritos

2 or 3 med-large chicken breasts - cooked and shredded
1  10-oz can tomatoes with peppers
1/2 cup Greek yogurt 
1 Tbs. chili powder (add chili powder to taste)
1 tsp. salt
1 16-oz can fat-free refried beans (or vegetarian refried beans)
1 8-inch whole grain, keto friendly tortillas
1/2 - 1 lb Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded (depending on your love of cheese).


Pull meat into thin shreds.  In bowl, stir together shredded chicken, tomatoes (with peppers and all juices), sour cream, chili powder and salt until well mixed.  If the mixture seems a bit dry, add more sour cream.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Spread 1/8 of refried beans evenly on one side of the tortilla.  Spoon 1/8 of chicken mixture atop the refried beans.  Reserve 1-2 cups (depending on how much cheese you started with) of shredded cheese to melt on top of burritos later. With remaining cheese, sprinkle 1/8 of what is left over chicken and beans.  Roll up tortilla and place burritos seam-side down in a greased (I use butter) 12"x 8" baking dish.

Cover baking dish with foil and bake 30 minutes or until burritos are heated through.  The chicken mixture will start to bubble out from both ends of the burritos.  Remove foil and sprinkle burritos with reserved shredded cheese, back in the oven (uncovered) for 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese melts and begins to brown.

Serve with chopped lettuce and tomatoes, or any side salad.  Makes 4 generous servings.

That's it!  This recipe is so easy that once I'd made it a few times I no longer look at the measurements.   I might double-check the recipe for the ingredients, but once they are gathered, I just create a mixture that looks nicely moist, and spread whatever amount of refried beans on the tortilla that looks good (I often have to open a second can of beans). 

When our boys were home, I often made a larger (even double) batch - depending on how many tortillas I have.  Now that it's just hubs and I for most meals, I always have more than we can eat in one meal.  I just freeze any extras prior to baking and thaw later.  Once thawed, bake as described above.  

We have found, if the inner mixture is moist enough, these also make tasty leftovers - cover with foil until they are bubbly, then sprinkle with a bit of extra cheese. I often re-heat in the toaster oven (on the bake setting).  Leftovers on these are a bit hit and miss, though, I must admit.  These are best eaten the first time they are baked.  If you know you're making more than you'll eat at one meal, just bake what you think you'll eat, saving the rest in the freezer (or even fridge, if you plan to cook them within a day or two).

If you try them, I hope you enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. Oh my, sounds so yummy and easy. If you want to easily shredded chicken, put cooked chicken in a bowl and use you hand mixer to shred it. (Can also use a stand mixer) Takes about 20 seconds to shred those chicken breasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marsha, I'm so glad you mentioned that. I know about this, but I've never tried it. That changes the next time I need to shred chicken! Shredding chicken by hand is really too hard for me right now, so I need to take advantage if any helps I can. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. They sound wonderful! I very much enjoy this type of meal and have been on a taco kick for a month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered the emails of your blog posts were going to my spam folder so I've been playing catch up. I need to try harder at quitting sugar. I have NASH (a progression of fatty liver disease) and sugar is a big problem for my liver but I'm a total addict and when I have tried in the past to give it up I'm ready to stab someone. Great to read your tips. My husband would love the burritos I'm sure, I'll maybe try that one day for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found my sugar fasting tips worth reading. I understand, first hand, the struggle with sugar and simple carbs.

      Delete
  4. I have a similar recipe for chicken enchiladas! This sounds great + I absolutely think Greek yogurt can replace sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember when I switched from sour cream to Greek yogurt, but I know when I did, I never looked back. I have wondered if the filling in these are more like enchiladas than burritos. A reason I don't care for most burritos is there always seems to be rice in the mixture, and I just don't care for the texture of rice inside a tortilla shell. Okay... looking up the difference between the two, it appears that enchiladas are typically made with corn tortillas and burritos with flour tortillas. I'm realizing right now, I've never made enchiladas. Maybe I need to add that to my "new thing" challenge. :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds yummy! I love making mexican inspired food at home. I don't really make mexican - I have low tolerance for spicy, but I do love the flavors. I just can't claim it's real mexican food. Adding your version to my list, hopefully this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it, Christi. I don't have a high tolerance for spicy foods either. Since I don't measure anything anymore in this recipe, every time I make it, it tastes a little different. Sometimes too spicy, sometimes not enough. Even though I don't care for too much spice, for some reason I prefer these with a little too much chili powder than not enough. It's hard to get it just right when one starts "winging" a recipe. :)

      Delete
  6. I must admit I have never had a burrito, mainly because I've been afraid they would be too spicy. I think I could manage to eat these, but might cut down a tad in the chili powder just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, you got me. Printing it out now. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete