Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Early days of autumn...


The Pampas Grass blows regally in the breeze



Asparagus seed balls turn a beautiful shade of red...



And other things start showing themselves in the asparagus bed...
...like thistles - Yikes, these got big!

And I have no idea what these blue berries are.  Any ideas?


These sedum (planted on the east side of the house) started out so tiny in the spring, but have overgrown the area they began in:

Next spring I think I will divide these and plant some on the south side of the house and see if the color changes with full sun, and maybe dryer conditions.  We've never had Sedum (also called Stonecrop) before.  Given they got no attention all summer, I'm calling this a completely effortless plant.



I think I took this picture of the garden a week ago:

The dying tomato and squash plants have all been removed, and all that is standing today are yellow brittle cucumber plants (on the far right, front), the Kentucky Wonder pole beans in the back center, and a Marconi Giant Pepper plant (front and center).

At this point, I'm hoping the remaining Marconi Peppers will at least begin to turn red so I can bring them inside to finish ripening before we get some cold weather this weekend.  Every other day I'm able to harvest enough green beans for a meal (though I clean, cut and freeze them, usually).  I'm ready to just let the remaining seed pods dry out and then see if they are harvestable for planting next spring.

Editing this post just to be clear that I am not doing the work of removing dead plants.  I'm not doing anything I can't do one-handed.  While I give some direction on what is finished up and can be pulled, Hub is doing the actual work of cleaning up the garden.  
 
While autumn is my most favorite time of the year, and I always look forward to putting growing things to rest outside (even in our smaller in-town yard I looked forward to cleaning out the flower beds and pots, and cutting things down), I have to admit having only one reasonable-working hand puts a damper on my enthusiasm for the season this year.  I'm not complain' (much), just explainin'.

I hope you're enjoying your autumn wherever you are!  Or your spring if you're in the southern hemisphere!  The two most wonderful times of the year...  😊



32 comments:

  1. Ah, autumn. One of my favorites too. We actually have cooled off considerably, here. We went from 100 plus to below 90 in about 10 days time. I am thrilled. Nice a cool (68 this morning) mornings and mild afternoons. Your garden spit looks perfect for feeding the two of you. So nice you have frozen some of your harvest for later too. Hopefully you will ha e 2 working hands when it is time for spring planting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to winter as I going to use some of that time planning next summer's garden. I have high expectations that come April or May I'll have some decent strength in my left hand. My right hand will, no doubt, hurt (it hurts worse now because it's getting used so much), but I think with at least one non-hurting hand I'll feel like super woman.

      Delete
  2. I hope your hand is healing well.
    Clearing out plants in fall, some vines add an eerie look to the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, May. I hope so too (about the hand). I look forward to starting OT late next week!

      Delete
  3. Your sedum looks very happy. The way the sky is peeking through the trees made me think the grass was blooming with blue flowers. So much to do at this time of year and it is not easy when working with a handicap. But don't try to do more than you should. Anybody in the family take direction well? ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a happy plant, Vee. No care (from me, anyway). :) I'm not working my left hand. I edited my post above to assure readers I'm behaving myself.

      Delete
  4. I always loved sedum when we had a garden - so colorful and yet no maintenance equals my kind of plant! Love your first photo of the grass.
    Glad to know you're healing well and now you just have to remember not to overdo it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Anne. I love our Pampas Grass. All we have to do it cut it down to the ground in the late fall or early spring, and it grows back beautifully. At the end of the summer it sprouts these gorgeous blooms that blow happily in the breeze. :)

      Delete
  5. I still have lots of lovely annuals flowering in my garden but they will soon die off if we have a frost. I have sedums too and they are fairly new to me, I love how they change colour throughout the season mind are a rich burgundy shade now. I love the colours of Autumn but not the cooler weather. Have a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I noticed last week that the sedum here turned burgundy. I haven't taken my camera out to get a new picture and I haven't looked at them in a few days. I kind of fear they may have passed their prime now since we've gotten some hard frosts. I must check them tomorrow! :)

      Delete
  6. It is challenging to see work to do and not be able to do it! But I am glad that you're taking the time to recover well. This is the year for an autumn rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. I really don't have much option to let my hand rest. The splints I've had to wear are pretty restrictive, though with the soft one I now sport it is very tempting to overdo it. I "hear about it"" very quickly, though, when I do. ;^)

      Delete
  7. I didn't know asparagus had such brilliant red seed pods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a pretty reward in the autumn for having to give up eating from the plants in mid spring. :)

      Delete
  8. Hello! Glad you are recovering and you have help! Your autumn photos are lovely, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to hear that you are on the mend, dear Becki, and I've enjoyed the photos of your garden. We've not had rain in months, it is so brown and dusty around here, but hopefully soon.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amalia. We've been in drought conditions for a couple of months now, and things are pretty brown here, too. We're not experiencing nearly the colorful autumn I look forward to (and hope for) every year.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos especially the first one! My hubby Roger loves to garden but is not good at cleaning up. The grandsons are coming down from the Poconos to help us out. We have lots of work so i think some money will be changing hands. We have tomatoes all over the house ripening. I am not much help since I am usually nursing one woe or another. 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! How nice that your grandsons are coming for a visit and to help you. I hope you all have a great time!

      Delete
  11. Not a gardener, but I sure enjoy looking at pictures from my friends with green thunbs! And yes it's the best time of year. It's been so incredibly dry here that I don't think our leaves are going to be as brilliant, but it's nice not to be hot! (Glad you are continuing to recover.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the well wishes, Bob. I'm not sure how green are our thumbs. Any success we've had is pure luck, I'm thinking. :) We're pretty dry here, too, and the colors are not as brilliant as I had hoped. We're having about a week of Indian summer at the moment, and by mid-week we're being promised rain. I look forward to cool temps again. :)

      Delete
  12. I hope you are still doing well healing. I have thought of you and prayed for you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Debra. Your prayers are very much appreciated. I've had a few worries about my progress, but I try not to get ahead of the healing.

      Delete
  13. Hi Becki! ☺ Oh putting the garden away one handed would be too overwhelming for me. I hope your weaker hand heals soon for you. It's a lovely time of year isn't it? ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Rain. It's cooling off again in less than a day now. I prefer my autumns on the chilly side. :)

      Delete
  14. Just a quick hello again-I'm glad we met up in blogland too!
    I think the plant with the blue berries is nightshade. Not sure though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra. Both for the sweet comment, and for identifying this mystery plant. I think you're right!

      Delete
  15. Me again-just to let you know I am praying for you. And to thank you for your comment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again, Debra. I'll be back to posting soon. It's been so busy here and harder to type than I first thought, so it's been a while, but I sure do appreciate that I've not been forgotten. :)

      Delete
  16. So sorry about your hand! I've been MIA as far as blogging and reading blogs. YOur garden looks like it was very productive. Take care and I hope you heal up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful post! You really captured the flora and fauna of autumn well. It's about a month since you wrote this post. I hope the healing on your hand is going well.

    ReplyDelete