Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Day 10...

For each of my chemo rounds, I kept a daily journal of my symptoms as I progressed through the days following the infusion.  I did it the first time at the suggestion of my oncologist's nurse.   It was helpful for them because knowing what my symptoms were, they had ideas on how to minimize them in the next rounds.  I applied their ideas, and they helped.  My oncology nurse also told me that many times people's bodies adapt to the chemo, and the first round is the worst.  I will say that was true for me - whether it was my body adapting, or me applying their suggestions for my symptoms, or both.  While none of the symptoms were pleasant or exactly easy, none were as bad as they were the first time around.

When my second round of chemo came around, I distinctly remember looking back at my account of Round 1 and noticed I stopped writing anything after Day 9.  Wondering why I would do that, I made a mental note to keep going with it for the full 21 days.   

And then I got to Day 10 on the second round and I realized I felt practically normal, and there really wasn't anything to write.   I was no longer taking any medicines to counteract symptoms because the worst of the symptoms had pretty completely passed at that point.  What a relief that was.  It made the next two sessions loom much less large in my mind.  Not that it was nothing, but my chemo protocol and side effects weren't as terrible as I imagined it all would be.

Today is Day 10 of my last round.  I'm happy to say I once again feel practically normal, except for some fatigue.  Well... and the fact that I had a minor mishap a week ago which led to a finger getting infected this week, so now I'm on an antibiotic for that.  It's not that the mishap was significant, but rather that my immunity is so compromised that my finger developed an infection.  Under normal circumstances, an infection wouldn't have set in, I'm positive.  Mostly that has been an annoyance, but within 24 hours, the antibiotic has started helping my finger feel less sore, so I'm hopeful that will soon be history too.

I mentioned in an earlier post that some motivation for creative activities has returned.  I'm happy to say the feeling is staying with me.  Here are just some random things I've been doing as the spirit strikes:

Knitting fresh dishcloths in fall colors makes me happy.


Stitching on my Quaker sampler continued.


Zentangling the cover of a birthday card 
for youngest son made him smile.


Collecting slow drawing "inchies"
They're actually 2 inch squares.


Auditioning some fabrics for a scrappy autumn stitch


And starting a collection of fabric yo-yo's
 for future slow-stitching projects


None of it is exactly impressive, but it's satisfying to see I at least kept my hands busy during so much down time in recent weeks.

A beautiful autumn is settling in here in central Indiana.  I hope you're enjoying whatever the season brings you.



24 comments:

  1. It's very encouraging to see that your creative side is getting back up to speed. This has to be a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear you are feeling well, my friend. You are so very talented! I love each one of your projects. Have a cozy evening, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, look at all you accomplished in the crafting department. I am so in love with the Quaker sampler. I just may need to put that on a to do list. So good to hear you are feeling better after day 10. Hopefully this will be the last round of chemo for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the last round, Marsha. And it's a relief to think about returning to normal activities soon. 🙂

      Delete
  4. That birthday card is *definitely* impressive. I think everything is amazing. :)
    Praise the Lord. Glad you are doing so well, Becki.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son was surprised that I had done the little drawings (with the help of some YouTube videos). I've made it my goal to do one for each of the boy's birthdays this year. The cards possibly end up being recycled, but they're fun and kind of relaxing to do. I consider them a bit of therapy, so they serve their purpose. 😄

      Delete
  5. Glad your enthusiasm for the arts is returning. But take it easy and be patient with yourself. No need to go running off and set me to worrying all over again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TB, I think the additional fatigue this time is slowing me down, and maybe that's a good thing. Your "worry" is appreciated. 😊

      Delete
  6. Oh Becky, This is impressive and wonderful to see. Even without your struggles we go through periods of no motivation, but I am happy to see it creeping back in. I just realized I never responded to your post about Biloxi. I will have to address in my next post because the author did it with a town called Childersburg too. I am behind with posts too. Oh well, I will get caught up there again too. I have been tackling a much neglected house this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been on the computer in over a week, so I need to check and see if you've written that post yet, Sandy. ;^) Thank you for your encouraging words.

      Delete
  7. Your projects look good. The Zentangles are gorgeous, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so impressed and encouraged, Becki!! Beautiful work on these projects. I'm so happy you feel like crafting again. The dishcloths are lovely -- such pretty colors -- and the yoyos are great. I'm feeling my crafting motivation pick up a little these days too. Sometimes it seems that if we just make the tiniest effort toward exercising our creativity, God blesses that and gives us more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After this post, my mojo wanned again due to overwhelming fatigue. But I have picked up a mindless crochet recently project to help keep me from feeling utterly useless.

      Delete
  9. Your creative projects are so beautiful! I'm sure they will help with healing. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your an amazingly talented lady!
    I love the quaker cross stitch and the dish clothes.
    I wish I had your talents!


    ReplyDelete
  11. Keeping a journal throughout the treatments was a good suggestion and taking note that the reality was a little less worse than your imagination thought it would be is a good point as well.
    So glad that your thoughts are turning to being creative once again. Immersing yourself (but not overdoing it!) in those sorts of pursuits is healing as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having crafting as a hobby is such a gift - always, but I recognize the gift it is more during hard times, I think.

      Delete
  12. The stack of knitted dish cloths make me happy, too. Do you use cotton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Martha. I think all pictured are made with Sugar 'n Cream or Peaches 'n Cream yarn, but I also use other 100% cotton yarns sometimes.

      Delete