Monday, December 18, 2023

Winter is nigh...

Thursday, the 21st, is winter solstice and I have mixed feelings about it.  Normally, I enjoy taking note of each of the solstices and equinoxes - and the anticipation of the changing days and seasons ahead - but this year I've pretty much completely missed the days that marked these changes up 'till now.  

I greatly enjoy anticipating spring and fall and the glorious colors, and not just of growing  things.   Do you take notice of how crystal blue a cloudless early autumn sky can be?   Do you delight in how the autumn sun can still feel hot on your skin, while the breeze cools?  Have you ever noticed how BIG grasshoppers are in September?  Do you notice how the decaying smell of late winter mud gives way to the scent of grass as it comes to life in the spring?  And how fresh spring air is?  Do we stop and give thanks for these marvelous things?  Sometimes I do, but I don't think I do enough.

And the solstices...   I love the long days of summer, and that there is time on both ends of the day to be outside and enjoy sunlight when temperatures are often more comfortable.  I also love how evening time come earlier than expected as autumn approaches, and how it becomes downright dark at suppertime as the days cool down.  In the autumn, I enjoy the cozy vibe of porch lights shining when I'm coming home from a long afternoon out.  I remember when I was home with young kids, I enjoyed turning the porch light on, hoping it would be a welcome sight as my husband returned from a long day at work.  I'm not sure if he noticed, really, but I tried to remember to do that.  It made me happy.

This year the seasons and daylight changes came and went without much notice by me - it's no wonder, as I was otherwise preoccupied for much of the year.  I had just begun to notice spring when my mind became filled with what was ahead, and then - just like that - the pretty fall colors were over before I had a chance to really enjoy them.   The days got longer, then shorter with little notice, certainly no anticipation, on my part.   

And now the days are about to get longer again.  Feeling much more myself, I am happy to know I will likely take more notice of the lengthening days than I did of the shortening days in early fall.  Anticipating keeping the curtains open a little longer each evening fills me with the same amount of pleasure as turning the porch light on earlier and earlier through the autumn does.  


Today felt like winter with a cold wind and several snow squalls - that, fortunately, didn't amount to anything.   I don't mind admitting, I'm happy to see it's forecasted to be in the mid-50's on Christmas Eve!

It is a busy week ahead for a lot of us as we approach Christmas.  Like you, I have grocery shopping and gift wrapping to do, special foods to prepare, and a few dust bunnies to sweep away still.  But in the midst of the busyness of the days leading up to Christmas,  I want to also take notice of the daylight shortening for a few more days before it starts to lengthen again.  Just noticing such a simple thing grounds me somehow.

I feel a little like a child when the seasons change.  Filled with anticipation and delight that our Creator has given us a world full of wonder to notice and enjoy.


~~~~~

Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

~ Thomas Chisholm
           Great is Thy Faithfulness




18 comments:

  1. Lovely musings on the seasons. The weather has been so different this year that winter is scarcely here yet, and we're nearly at the solstice. I love cozy dark evenings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here with the weather, Liz. I'm good with it.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean, Becki. Where did the days go?
    Wonderful post, and poem.
    Merry Christmas, Becki.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I hope you feel God's closeness this Christmas. Hugs to you.

      Delete
  3. It was a bit of a shock when I got up this morning and opened the curtains to snow. It's not the first we've had but none of it has stayed. Perhaps this will and we'll have a white Christmas after all. I like to have snow for Christmas but am always hopeful it will come a few days before so that it won't affect people trying to travel. It's supposed to warm up later in the week so it will likely be gone by then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's exactly the way I like snow for Christmas, Mary Anne. I think it was last year we had an arctic blast for Christmas. That was pretty awful. Looks like we'll have very mild weather for this year. If I can believe the predictions, we may have a warmer than normal winter. No complaints from me!

      Delete
  4. I think of you so often . This is a lovely post. I adored the porch light scene your words made in my head. Simple joys are always the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts, Debra. 🩷 And for the very kind comment. 🤗

      Delete
  5. My friend, this is a beautiful post on the changing of the seasons, and what you find special about each one. I especially liked the way you described the transitions. Prayers and hugs for a cozy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely and thoughtful post, Becki. I wonder if we become more attuned to the seasons (at least in the modern world) as we get older and appreciate what "seasonality" really means.

    That said, one of the lamentable things about New Home is its relative lack of seasons: We have two (Face of The Sun and Arctic Cold) between which is sandwiched two weeks on either side of the most pleasant weather one can imagine (but, sadly, little Autumn foliage).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're probably right, TB about becoming more attuned to the seasons as we get older. The funny thing is though, when I'm really tuned into nature, I am almost always transported back to my childhood remembering things like shuffling through fallen leaves on the way to anywhere, freezing legs (we had to wear dresses in grade school) as I walked a whole block to school, getting sunburned swimming at the public pool in the summer, picking dandelions, or being a bit terrified of the worms that surfaced after heavy spring rains. And later chasing an older sister with nightcrawlers that my brother and I dug up.

      I was raised in town, but always wanted to live in the country - even as a child. I thought living on a farm would be the greatest thing. That said, I (and friends) spent a lot of time outdoors, and I'm happy that I experienced a good bit of nature - even if most of that was right in my own neighborhood. So many vivid memories of experiencing nature...

      Delete
  7. I love the changes of the seasons and watching the signs of passing time. I know you have had a difficult time and hope the new year brings a lot of good. The longer darker nights are not my favorite at all. I have tried to remember it is a time to rest and slow down, but somehow I still haven't arrived at loving it too much. I start counting up to longer days with the Solstice. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About now, I start looking forward to thinking of the slower days of January and February, but somehow, those months end up flying by too. Merry Christmas to you, Sandy! :)

      Delete
  8. I am reminded of the passage from Joel, "So I will restore to you the years the locust has eaten." Because of what you were going through at the time, you missed part of the year you typically enjoy. But now God is showing you the beauty in these shortened days, bringing to mind vivid images from the past, while showing you new beauty in the present. And I love this verse from "Great is they Faithfulness." Merry Christmas, Becki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that scripture, Bob. It feels like my senses have been heightened now that I am not so distracted by unpleasant things. Great is Thy Faithfulness is possibly my favorite hymn.

      Delete
  9. Light on to welcome your husband or kids home, such a sweet thing to me ❤ I also like to do this. And I embrace the little things. It's currently snowing here in NY. I haven't heard the birds much, but know they will be abundant when spring comes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen to "Great is Thy Faithfulness"!! Blessed, peaceful, comforting, and happy Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete