Saturday, June 29, 2024

Feeling better...



I want to say Thank You to all who left kind and helpful comments on my last post.  First, let me say... it is immensely helpful to hear of others' experiences.  At a minimum, it is validating, but there were some truly helpful things offered up.  I have such kind and thoughtful commenters.

While it is surely clear to anyone visiting my blog on a regular basis, that I'm no stranger to overthinking, I've come to realize that what I've been recently experiencing wasn't/isn't that.  Or isn't simply that.  I'm pleased to say that I am feeling better for longer stretches of time over the last week, and I think that is true for several reasons. 

First of all, I have some really great people in my life.  People who evidently do, sometimes, ask me how I'm doing.  One friend spontaneously did just that days after I published last week's post.  

The two of us were leaving an event, and the encounter wasn't long.  But it was private-ish and allowed for a bit of a conversation.  While I didn't elaborate to her all the various unsettling memories I had been dealing with, the one thing I did share received a response that was so validating, it was almost instantly healing.  My friend's response what like fresh air and light on a recently reopened wound that I had been trying (unsuccessfully) to just "get over".  

She didn't rationalize away the situation in which the wound was inflicted.  She also didn't demonize the one whose words had cut me to the quick.  All she did was see the wound for what it was and entered into my hurt for a few moments.  And she gave me a hug.  

To be clear, I know the wound hadn't been intentional.  I'm sure the one who inflicted it has no idea the damage that was done in her few words that took all of 5 seconds to say.  I'm pretty sure, if I were to write out the situation here, most people wouldn't give the exchange a second thought. In fact, I'm not sure if I hadn't been in the fragile state I was at the time (going into surgery to remove my infected port), that I would even appreciate how careless were the words that were spoken - in this case by a doctor.  It wasn't until I had permission to see my wound as valid and without trying to rationalize it away, that the shackles around that particular memory started to crumble and fall away.  And amazingly, my painful thoughts surrounding other more justifiably haunting experiences have eased - almost completely it seems.  At least for the moment.  I think, perhaps, I just needed the freedom to see my haunts without justifying/excusing why they happened in the first place.  

This experience has led me to the following thoughts - most of which I've added after publication, unfortunately, but here goes...

I'm sure this isn't the first time I've experienced this kind of healing of my emotions, but it was so profound this time, I hope I am forever changed by it.  While I think I've understood the importance of validating others' thoughts and feelings (I wrote about it in my last post), I am also prone (as many of us are, I have learned) to want to help the other person see the various sides of a situation.  I think what we're trying to do is help the hurting person's rational brain see that they don't have to suffer all the bad feelings and thoughts they may be caught up in.  

Being on the receiving end of that kind of "help", though, a few times over the last year, I now understand just how unhelpful rationalizing and advice-giving responses usually are.  And, here's why I've come to that conclusion...  

I suspect that most of us attempt to rationalize away our painful experiences. I have no idea if it's actually rational to rationalize this stuff, but for me, it's often a first-line coping mechanism.  When it happens naturally, I don't know that it's an unhealthy thing to do.  But most good things, when taken to an extreme can become very unhealthy.  A, perhaps overly simple, example:  Overlooking an offense is good, but being a doormat leads to an unhealthy mental state, and possibly abuse.

If it is a natural inclination to rationalize our painful experiences, we certainly don't need someone else to offer the same (or other) rationalizations to our already cluttered our minds.  

I don't know about you, but when someone does that in response to something difficult I've shared, I immediately wish I hadn't made myself vulnerable. And I learn, going forward, to be guarded.  Now, of course, we should be careful who we share vulnerable things with, but if we are so guarded that we ultimately decide it's safer to stuff our feelings down, instead of finding appropriate ways of airing them, the results can be unhealthy.  Toxic, even.  We may never really heal if we don't examine our painful emotions and what has brought them about.

The more helpful response we can offer to someone stuck in painful thinking, I now believe, is something that might break an unhealthy rationalizing pattern or loop a hurting person may be stuck in.  And what can break an unhealthy pattern of rationalizing a painful experience better than validating it?  A doctor can't treat a physical wound without examining it and seeing it for what it is.  Covering a physical wound without treating it is asking for a nasty infection later.  Why do we live as if covering over our emotional wounds leads to anything other than a sick heart and mind later? 

While someone stuck in painful thinking might need professional help to truly become healthy-minded, when we're in the position of someone having shared a painful experience with us, a helpful first-line response is to simply validate their feelings.  Saying a sincere, "I'm sorry that happened" would probably suffice.  Enter into the pain, if you can, rather than try to reshape their perception of the experience.  Entering into a person's pain most likely will make them feel better, at least in the moment.  When they feel better, they'll probably be able to think better, and will be in a better position to examine their wound, as well as the experience, and heal from it. 

Disclaimer:  I am not a psychologist.  Not even an armchair one.  But I am interested in learning from experience, and really do want to offer the right kind of help when someone else is struggling.  This present experience has helped me internalize, and I think see something I didn't understand before.

The only significant things that have happened in the 9 days since my last post is the above encounter, a lovely visit with another dear friend, and I've had the last appointment in my recent string of medical appointments - which seemed to be the catalyst for my recent struggling.  I feel better just having all those appointments behind me as of last Thursday.

I've also come across some things online that remind me that I have tools (mainly writing) to use to examine, dissect and treat the other painful thoughts should they rise up again to haunt me.  Just being reminded I have these tools available, and that they have been helpful to me in the past, has given me an even greater sense of well being.

If you got this far, thanks for sticking with me.  

11 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better, Becki. Praise God for friends.
    Be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friend seems to really have helped you get over the hurt inflicted by another. I’ve never really understood the phrase “sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me”. Words do hurt! My recent trip away with someone I’d been friends with since I was 19 au pairing in America, she said multiple things to me over that weekend away (and in messages over the years) that hurt me and it’s not the first time. Some friends advised me to ghost her, but I have written to her ending our friendship. I’ve not accused her or pointed out her hurtful things, just said that our trip away has consolidated some feelings that I’d had for a while that we are very different people now and on very different paths and have wished her well for the future. It’s sad to end a 33 year old friendship but a friend who asks we skip breakfast and then says to a waitress at lunch “I’ll just have a latte but this fatty needs to eat” is really no friend. I’m sure people who say mean things have insecurities or historical reasons for doing so, and I’m sorry about that…but not sorry enough to continue to put myself in their line of fire. Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend doesn't yet know just how powerful our brief encounter was. Unless she's reading this. ;^D I did send her a link to last week's post so she could understand a bit better there was a bigger picture than just the situation I told her about. I will tell her at some point, though.

      I am sorry for your experience with a hurtful "friend", Liz. Thank you for sharing that.

      Delete
  3. Becki, there is an adaptation of the old phrase "You can choose your actions, but you cannot choose the consequences of your actions" that goes "You can choose your words, but you cannot choose how your words will be heard by others". In that sense we do not always get the choice of how our words impact others, or to question the validity of how our words were received. We can explain, we can perhaps better define - but we cannot just say "That failure of understanding was all on you". It is one of the things that makes things like e-mails so fraught with peril: there is not body language, no tone, no intonation: just words.

    I am grateful that you had a friend that could just listen and validate that experience. I will say stories such as yours make me all the more reluctant to say much if anything at all, lest I indirectly mis-speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh TB, I'm sorry this post makes you more reluctant to say something in situations where it's difficult to know what to say. I do understand, though. It can be a minefield. Honestly, when I first told people I had cancer a year ago, the sweetest response was some short form of "I'm sorry". I didn't need any offers of help, didn't need a lot a questions I didn't yet have answers to. But just a word to acknowledge that it was tough news - even if my situation wasn't as bad as some others' prognoses, it was my tough news at the moment.

      I don't know if I should regret adding the extra thoughts I did about offering rationalizing responses to someone who's emotionally hurting. Except that now seeing how rationalizing painful experiences can cause "stuckness" in our thinking patterns is such a helpful thing for me to realize. Honestly, it feels like something of an epiphany. Once I stopped believing I needed to rationalize this particular l experience, I quickly stopped seeing the event as that much of an offense. It was just a dumb thing that was said. It's just incredible to me that it doesn't even pain me now. I truly hope that holds.

      Also, please know that I know I don't have the last word on this subject. These are just my thoughts as I come out of something that, for a bit, I couldn't manage to pull myself out of.

      Delete
  4. Words hurt. But how lovely to have a friend who validated your feelings and was willing to listen to you. I know I have said things in the past, that actually ended a friendship. I did not know my comment was taken as she took it. I apologized as soon as I found out but she refused to accept my apology. It has made me super cautious ever saying anything that could even be misconstrued as an insult or criticism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is so painful, Marsha. I know I have sometimes said offensive things - sometimes I realized it and usually quickly apologized, but I'm sure there times when I was clueless. We are imperfect people rubbing shoulders with other imperfect people - of course we're going to offend. I am thankful for Christian teaching on the subject of forgiveness, and to know how imperative it is to practice. Aside from the spiritual ramifications of not forgiving others, I think that living a life that practices forgiveness is surely preferrable to remaining offended.

      Delete
  5. And thanks for sharing, Becki. It has taken nearly a lifetime for me to learn sometimes the best thing to say is, simply, "I am sorry" and offer a hug, or just be willing to sit with someone in their struggling or grief. Well-meaning people end up reciting stupid, cruel and thoughtless platitudes because they simply don't know what else to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Bob. I suppose it takes a life time because we probably best learn lessons like by passing through painful experiences that cause us to hear enough good and bad responses to pick out the wheat from the chaff. :)

      Delete
  6. Your words here are so helpful, more than I am free to say here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete