Thursday, June 20, 2024

Still here...

I haven't gone anywhere.  

In fact, I wrote this post a few days ago and I've been considering whether I want to actually publish it.  I've finally decided to do it, and hope some good can come from it.  

A couple of weeks ago I wrote a post titled "Ruminations and Risk Taking".  At the time my use of the word "ruminations" was simply to mean contemplations - of any sort.  At the time I wrote that, I was enjoying being outdoors, soaking in the sun, and listening to birdsong, just contemplating life, and being thankful that I was rebuilding my strength, and getting on with life.  There was some heavy stuff on my mind, but my feeling then was that all was mostly well.  And it was.  And still is, for that matter.  But recently, I've come to realize that there has been a fair amount of negative ruminating going on, too. 

In recent weeks, my brain has been revisiting stuff I'd rather not think about (explanation as to why, in a minute), but it wasn't until the third or fourth time over the last few weeks that I heard myself monologuing to my husband for 10-15 minutes at a time, reviewing (ruminating out loud about) stuff from last year - some things he already knew, some things I had never told him - I realized that I am dealing with a load of unresolved stuff that happened during the diagnostic stage of my cancer experience.  Yes, I know that was an insane run-on sentence, but I'm leaving it as is.  Welcome to my brain right now.

Last week, when I once again heard myself telling my husband something awful from last year, I stopped myself mid-sentence wondering, "Why am I doing this again?!?"  And as soon as I asked the question, I knew the answer!

Since mid-May, I've begun a series of follow-up appointments with doctors.  I had my second appointment with the endocrinologist (who works out of a different cancer center than I visited last year) to discuss results of tests she had me do.   A few days later I had my first six-month follow-up with my oncologist to discuss the ongoing endocrine therapy he has me on.  Earlier this week, I had a follow-up MRI (unrelated to breast cancer, and that came back clean - yay!)  Next week I have my annual follow-up visit with the surgeon who removed my cancer.  And, I guess, just because I was on a roll making medical appointments, I had scheduled my "Welcome to Medicare" appointment with my GP for last week.  Whew!  

All these appointments have been as good as they can be (and I anticipate next week's follow-up with my surgeon will go fine enough), but being pulled back into the world of cancer treatment, and walking back into two different cancer centers several times now in two months has caused me to revisit the trauma that happened during all the diagnostic tests a year ago.  


With a few unpleasant exceptions, most of the staff I encountered last year were the nicest and kindest medical people I've ever been treated by.  At the same time, the tests they ran me through were among the worst things I've ever experienced to date.  Truly - the stuff of nightmares. In recent weeks, I was only able to sleep for four or five hours a night.  Sometimes, not able to fall asleep until the sun came back up.  Weirdly, I was functioning fine (in spite of little sleep and a brain on overload), but there was (and maybe still is to some extent) a cloud following me around for weeks now.  And I finally called it out.  I think it's just plain old unresolved trauma. 

I'm not sure where I go with these thoughts from here - I'm pretty sure I'll figure it out, or time will resolve it, or I will find help if I need to.  But for now, somehow, calling out what's been going on with me helps me feel better.  I'm happy to say I've been sleeping somewhat better.  

And while I'm sparing you the details of the things that try to trouble me, I hope my sharing this much is helpful to someone possible going through their own "ruminating" over hard things that don't seem to have any resolution.  

As for myself, I'm sure there's value in just getting this off my chest. To give air and light to unwelcome thoughts and make them less powerful.  And to document this experience for myself.

Maybe you know someone who has experienced some sort of trauma or difficulty in the recent past, and while they look just fine on the outside - in fact, they may be very fine, life might be great - they also may have dark, troubling thoughts from time to time.  While no one wants that kind of thing to go on forever, I'm pretty sure it's normal to experience this kind of thing after any sort of trauma.

If you, personally, know someone in such shoes, don't be afraid to ask them how they're doing.  They probably won't be expecting it, and they may not know what to say.  But they will appreciate that you asked.  

And if they talk...

Just listen.  

Validate them - listening without giving advice is priceless

Appreciate their vulnerability. 

It may just mean the world to them.

And if they don't want to open up, that's okay too.  Or maybe they're feeling on top of the world at that moment - they'll tell you if they are.  Celebrate with them.

It will mean a great deal that you asked.


Spirea in bloom in May.



27 comments:

  1. Sunshine being a great disinfectant, it's very good that you've let this post unroll without second thoughts. It might help other people too, as you say. Go you! You've been through a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you for the encouragement, Liz.

      Delete
  2. It's good to read how we are to listen to others. My trauma was the death of my first husband. I have learned so much about myself, my family, even about my late husband, since the trauma began. Painful as it's been, I am glad to be wiser for the experience and hope I will use these insights to better relate to the hurt of others. Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I'm a big believer that one of the purposes of suffering is to help us be more compassionate and helpful to others. You have been quite a testimony to how God takes brokenness and turns it into a thing of beauty.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Becki. We are going through this with our son in his brain cancer journey. So glad to hear we are not the only ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about you and your son often, Marsha. His is a different journey than mine has been, but I can appreciate on a small level how hard his must be. Hugs to you, friend.

      Delete
  4. I have had enough hard for the last 2 years to wear me slam out, but girl, I think it is absolutely correct to call breast cancer -trauma. It completely sent your world upside down. I have journaled my way through my hard, but have no idea if that would help. I know you will solve it as best you can. It was good to read this. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're certainly in the trenches right now, Sandy, and appear to be for the foreseeable future. When we have struggles is does seem to help us see other's struggles with more clarity and compassion. Thank you for your encouragement regarding me publishing this.

      Delete
  5. Becki, I am all for stream of consciousness blogging, come what may. I have found that even if it not helpful to anyone else; it is helpful to me. I am truly sorry this continues for you.

    I have worked in my professional capacity with MD Anderson in past jobs. They do good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TB, I have been impressed with most everyone I've encountered at the MD Anderson Cancer center (both of them that I've now been in over the last year). I am so glad that is where I went to for diagnosis and treatment. Thank you for the encouragement regarding my writing about this. I'm glad to say I'm feeling some better. A post will soon be published about that.

      Delete
  6. I get this. Trauma is real and can take time to recover from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you would, Elizabeth. Thank you for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for this post, my boss told me on Wednesday she's just been diagnosed with breast cancer and you've given and insight and advice on how I can support her by listening if she needs to talk. And to appreciate she may have some trauma during and for a long time after so something to bare in my mind. Take care x Liz (highlandheffalump)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I'm so sorry to hear your boss has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Everyone's journey is different, but I personally found during diagnosis and treatment there was little time to process the trauma. I thought I was doing so well, it kind of shocked me to be sidelined this spring by unwelcomed memories and thoughts. It makes sense, but I wasn't expecting it. I don't know that everyone goes through this, but based on what I was told by my nurse navigator at my last doctor appointment this isn't uncommon.

      Delete
    2. Ok that’s good to know. She has received some good news that it’s only 8mm in size so a lumpectomy and radiation therapy, but bad news that she must come off her HRT as it’s hormonal related breast cancer type, so she is anxious she’ll be having all those symptoms on top of everything else. She’s on holiday for 2 weeks and then her treatment starts. I’ll be conscious of what she’s going through for the foreseeable future.

      Delete
    3. I understand her worry. My cancer was similar, two hormone positive tumors just a bit smaller (7mm and 5mm). A lumpectomy was going to be my treatment until further investigation uncovered the second tumor and a lot of DCIS (look it up, if you're interested) between the two tumors, and that took a lumpectomy off the table. I wasn't on HRT, so didn't have to come off of it, except that I did have to stop using an estrogen cream that was very helpful for this senior lady. That hasn't been so bad, except that hot flashes have returned. I'm also on years-long endocrine therapy that (in my case, tamoxifen) reduces estrogen's ability to feed cancer cells. Aromatase Inhibitors (which I was on originally before my osteoporosis diagnosis) stop the production of estrogen and can have really uncomfortable side effects, and I was worried about that too. For me, though, the worst was stiff joints when first getting up (out of bed, out of a chair), but I could walk it off. These medicines affect women differently. I'm feeling fortunate that I'm not struggling with them. But I will say, if she does struggle, having a friend who has some understanding about what she's experiencing is a real gift.

      Delete
  8. Letting your thoughts flood out in a blog post is a good idea - it gave you the clue about what you were reliving all over again. And yes, it might help others to know these things on your mind. Trauma is real for so many of us. I hope you'll find a release as you just unload your feelings in that stream of conscious way.

    A little thought I have: If you need to say these things over and over, and if you don't always want to share it on your blog or with your hubby, you might want to consider Julia Cameron's Morning Pages exercise - three pages of stream of consciousness writing every morning of whatever comes up - just let it tumble out. I use this to help me get my troubling thoughts out on paper and out of my mind. In a notebook that can be trashed when it's done. It's not for re-reading but for getting the frets and traumas out.

    Wishing you continued healing in body and soul, Becki! Heart hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, thank you for these thoughts! I think I'm moving beyond even desiring to talk so much about last year's traumas, but you mentioning Julia Cameron's writings reminded me that I am very familiar with her book, The Artist's Way. I did practice that stream of consciousness writing for a while some years back. It was interesting, but I don't think I was dealing with anything heavy at the time. More importantly, your comment reminds me how helpful it can be for me to write in a more purposeful way as a method of analyzing what is going on inside me. I also recently watched a video about healthy ways to process trauma, and I instantly recognized the value of writing (in this case, privately) as a way to get my brain in a better place. I refer to this a bit in my next post.

      Delete
  9. Words of wisdom, Becki, and they are greatly appreciated. If you'll drop by my blog and read my latest post, you'll read about the cancer journey in my family. I try to be sensitive to what my son-in-law is going through, and what my daughter is experiencing as his care giver. It's interesting -- he is very private, but my daughter is like an open book. He is mortified at people talking about a certain part of his body, while she can draw diagrams and explain exactly what is going on. But it's traumatic for both of them (especially him, of course) and you have provided a good reminder to keep enfolding them with our love. I write my SIL notes from time to time, just telling him how proud I am of him and that I am always praying for him. He has never said a word about any of them, but I think he appreciates them. Again, thanks for sharing and I hope you understand by doing so, you are helping others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so so sorry to read about your son-in-law, Bob. It may seem silly, but I can totally appreciate your son's desire for privacy. Especially at his age. Wow, he's young. Cancer just plain sucks. It's funny/not funny that we can be more or less self-conscious about it depending over where it appears. In spite of how openly I wrote about my cancer and my surgical procedures here, in person I'm more reserved - especially in the company of men. This is my space. You enter, you deal. In real life, I feel like I need to be a little more sensitive to what other's comfort levels may be. And FWIW, my husband wanted to talk about my cancer to others much earlier than I was prepared to, and that was the source of many arguments at the beginning of my testing and diagnosis. He also pretty freely shares his other medical stuff - me less so - again, in person. While this is my safe space, believe it or not, there are some things I don't share here even. ;^)

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing this with us. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do have someone i know who is going through a similar experience, maybe even more challenging, as he is quite sick now. His wife is also sick, likely due to exhaustion + anxiety in caring for him. Thank you for sharing ways to help me be a better friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, I am continually struck by how little is required to be a support to someone going through illness. Everyone is different (and needs are different), but I think it's surely universal that everyone wants to know others care. For me, even the most simple contact (a card, a text) felt huge when I was at my weakest and most isolated.

      Delete
  12. I really do think that talking things out (and by 'talking' I include a blog post such as this) is truly helpful. Being open about our feelings can't help but be good for the soul and I commend you for going ahead and posting this. I learned, through my journey with depression, that it does help to talk about it and not hide it away like the generations before us did.

    ReplyDelete