Sunday, October 20, 2024

Blanket weather...



With cooler temperatures this past week, and me being able to tolerate a large yarny project across my lap, I pulled out a nearly completed Dahlia Blanket and finally crocheted a border for it.  It was some time this past spring when I crocheted the last row of this blanket, and had to put it away because it was just too warm to continue working on it.


Crocheted with worsted weight yarn, this has quite a bit of heft to it.  I like sleeping with a window open on cold evenings; Greg likes pulling a crocheted blanket on top of the covers to keep him warm on those nights.  In fact, he was using this one until I squirreled it away.  He asked where it had gone to, and I told him we couldn't use it until it had a border.  In reality, it was perfectly useable, and an argument could have been made that it didn't need a border to sleep under.  But he didn't argue.  And now finally, I'm happy to have the whole thing finished, and I think Hub is looking forward to once again snuggling under the warmth of this one.

It wasn't my intention, but this blanket turned out huge, covering the top of our queen size bed.  It probably hangs over the edges now that it has a border.  Hub may be sleeping with this doubled up over him as I won't be able to tolerate the heat generated sleeping under it.  


I departed from the pattern at the end and made the final round of the border in a crab stitch.  I've come to love the simple, but pretty "rolled" edge this stitch creates on a blanket.



I may or may not jump into making another blanket from this pattern.  The thing that pulls me toward it is that I have some fun bright flowery colors I pulled aside last spring to make a second one.  

I also pulled aside some neutral colored yarns to make a completely different blanket with - so I have options.  I'm not sure what I'll do next, but at the moment, I'm kind of feeling up for another colorful one.  But first, I need to take stock of how much yarn I used on this one, updating my personal yarn database on Ravelry.  This record-keeping is a hobby unto itself.  Then I want to put the leftover yarn away from this and hat making, and neaten up the room and closet where I store my crafty stuff.  

Meanwhile, I'm watching videos of "slow stitching", making needle books, and collage books - combining all those things into one, even.  And then there are new cross stitch patterns calling, "Pick me! Pick me!"  All the while, unfinished stitching projects wait patiently for my attention.  Like a "kid in a candy store with eyes bigger than my stomach" I want to do it all.  But I need to consider realistically what has staying power for me.  And probably finish something I've already begun.  I'm sure this is a common problem for crafters.  I'm curious how you focus in and discipline yourself to do just one thing when a bunch of things vie for your attention.  Or...  maybe you've got a system of working on different things in some sort of rotation.  

All I know is I get to this stage where I've finished a thing and my hands are itching to do something new and everything looks equally appealing.  The overwhelm of that state leaves me unproductive for a bit until I just finally dive into something.

Watch this space to see what crafty project catches my attention next!




6 comments:

  1. I have no system! It's whatever shouts the loudest that I turn to. The Sock 'n Glove ministry goes on all the time though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it works very well for you, Liz. I like having something ongoing in the background. I have a long-term cross stitch project, and often a blanket in the making. Thinking about putting hats into that on-going category now.

      Delete
  2. I forgot to say I really like that crab stitch border, such a good finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! I think it make an equally nice finish on a feminine or masculine looking blanket.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is a very colorful blanket!! I love the pattern as well.

    ReplyDelete