Sunday, October 6, 2024

Hats and Hurricanes...

It's starting to come down to the wire, and, mentally, I'm ready to wrap this hat making project up.  In reality, I have the rest of this week to make hats if I choose to do so. If you detect a small note of negativity with that last statement, you would be correct.  

So far, I feel like I'm failing to make an appropriately sized hat.  I was told the hats were to be "child size", and nothing more.  Not having a child handy, I feel like I'm guessing as to what size that must be.  I can see size charts online, but that's not like having a real head to try one on.  My hats so far seem to be possibly baby-sized, and one is adult sized (it  fits me and I think I probably have an average sized adult head).  

I'll probably have time to try two more times over the next few days.  I would be thrilled to finish at least one that appears to be solidly "child sized".


While knitting on DPNs (Double Pointed Needles, for non knitters) is a bit tricker than knitting on a corded needle, I get a little excited when I transfer from circular needles to these little sticks.  From this point, it's pretty quick work to finish a hat. 

Because I'm running into some minor issues decreasing the crowns while I'm doing helical knitting, I think I'm just going to make any more hats I knit a solid color at the top.  My hat crowns look perfectly fine, but as I'm knitting the crowns, I keep second-guessing the situation when the color change doesn't seem to work together with the decreasing stitches.  Somehow it works out, but I'm getting weary of worrying about it until the hat is finished.  So, from here on out, my hats will either be completely solid in color, or they will have wide stripes or blocks of color (so I can work the decreases in one colorway only).  It probably doesn't need to be noted, but I am making the simplest of hats here.  I think they're decent hats, but they are simple.

Here are last week's finishes:




While I'm turning hats over on Saturday to be taken to the donation site, I'm thinking I want to wrap this up mid-week.  Especially, if I end up feeling like I want to make pom poms.  Truth is, I don't want to make pom poms, but I think there are one or two hats that would benefit from one.



Because hat knitting feels almost trivial in light of the tragedy that has struck so many in parts of the Southeastern U.S., I also want to address the topic.  

I'm sure just as it is with you if you were spared the wrath of Helene, I am heartbroken daily as I watch and read about the devastation so many people are suffering from. I have greatly appreciated youtubers who are able to report what's been going on, and I am humbled and touched beyond words seeing and hearing of the selflessness of so many who are coming to the aid of those who are/were trapped, and who are found wandering out of the forests.  It is mind boggling to see what the human spirit can endure.  And frightening to also see how fragile we are as human beings. The work ahead is mind numbing to think about.  I cannot imagine how exhausting it is to experience it.

And, as hard as it is to believe, now less than two weeks later, I join those also praying for all in the path of Milton. 

~~~~~ 


5 comments:

  1. I think your hats are very nice. Trying to gauge a child sized head would be very hard for me too. Remembering my grand children when they were 'children' most of them had adult sized heads by their tweens. Your hats will be cherished no matter what. We watch the news nightly and are stunned beyond belief at the devastation of the hurricane. Knowing another one is approaching and making landfall this coming week has us praying for all those in Miltons path too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Children's heads are bigger than we think. Also a kid with a lot of hair will need a bigger hat. I think you're doing fine.

    It's hard to believe our friends are facing yet another storm. Prayers, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I would love any of those hats. They are adorable. They are going to fit better than you think!
    All we’ve seen the last 2 weeks is mind boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like simple hats. They are almost hard to find. I was looking for one Saturday and so many of them had spangles and such. Ugh.
    Definitely prayers.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hats are so pretty. I'm sure they will find an appreciative home. I have the same problem with knitting baby/toddler socks. I'm really not sure about the correct size to knit. I'm not thrilled with DPNS so I plan to use a combination of using my 3 9" circulars as flexi-flips to knit the tiny socks.

    ReplyDelete